Movie theatre experience? Still worth the price of admission.
Jun 23, 2007 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate movie theatres in general. IF I do see a movie it's the first showing or I'm on a date.. I'm tired of telling ppl not to kick my chair, or telling parents to hush their baby or children. A movie theatre isn't a place to baby sit your kids.. The talking..Cell phones constantly going off (almost got into a fist fight over this once)..People coming in late & always sit in your asile, moving back & forth obstructing your view..
I get better sound & PQ at home without the BS.. The whole Theatre experience is dead to me..

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 63
The movies I go to usually older people go to (by old I mean have grey hair), and I go earlier in the day on not on weekends.

That seems to completely eliminate teenagers, parents and little kids.

I went to see Ocean's 13 last week, went on a weekday at around 2:30pm. Only a handful of people were there, mostly people in their 50's-60's and a few in their 30's i'd say. Got to get a nice seat close to the screen and centered.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The movies I go to usually older people go to (by old I mean have grey hair), and I go earlier in the day on not on weekends.

Amen brother. For me, nothing can beat the theater experience - early show during a weekday. Those "older people" know how to watch a movie!

Of course, my home screen is only 50".

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 63
The last theater shows I attended were the Lord of the Rings movies (except for Omnimax). I still liked them better on my home unit. You can't get that crisp detail or color like the home unit. Thats why we buy this stuff isn't it?

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 63
I guess LOTR is also my last movie I've seen in theatre. Seeing movies at home is much better experience and cheap w/ unlimited planet hollywood membership ($15/month, 3 blocks away from home)

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 63
I'll go, but if someone else invites me. I hate the HORRID sound and video quality, the overpriced everything, and the people.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That seems to completely eliminate teenagers, parents and little kids.

I went to see Ocean's 13 last week, went on a weekday at around 2:30pm. Only a handful of people were there, mostly people in their 50's-60's and a few in their 30's i'd say. Got to get a nice seat close to the screen and centered.

You are lucky..

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 63
I love the movie experience. I do agree that the picture quality could be better, but I have no complaints about the audio quality. I go in to enjoy the movie, not to analyze the accuracy of the tonal balance of the dialogs and segue music. It's sounds more than good enough to me, and if I want high-fidelity audio reproduction I'll listen to music, not go to the movie theater to watch a movie.

I do dislike the overpriced cost of admission/food, though.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the movie experience. I do agree that the picture quality could be better, but I have no complaints about the audio quality. I go in to enjoy the movie, not to analyze the accuracy of the tonal balance of the dialogs and segue music. It's sounds more than good enough to me, and if I want high-fidelity audio reproduction I'll listen to music, not go to the movie theater to watch a movie.

I've been to theatres where the volume, bass, and treble were pumped up to the point where it hurt. Screw sound quality, those bastards were killing my eardrums!
basshead.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do dislike the overpriced cost of admission/food, though.

The price they charge for admission & food They need to get good audio reproduction.. I just want good SQ..I'm not looking at it from a audiophiles perspective. & wants wrong with having Hi Fi when watching movies compared to music? If you are serious into audio wouldn't you want all things to sound good..

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 63
Ooops, I forgot, apparently the last movie I watched is not LOTR. Don't laugh at me guys, it's 'Wild Hogs'. The movie is entertaining but the theatre is impressive. I watch it in Fox studio in LA, available only for Fox employee. My cousin works there. First thing I notice, the screen is huge, Picture quality is amazing and sound system is very good. I don't mind watching movies in this kind of theatre which unfortunately it's not available here in Philadelphia.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 63
I think overall things have gotten worse, but there are films that are better with an audience and some alone (and that line is not always drawn where you expect). There are also theaters (and films) that attract less of those irritates. Should it be surprising that people talk during Alien Vs. Predator? Since your in the Bay Area, CineArts is a chain where people are more respectful. There are also cultural differences. Some groups are much more vocal than others (watch films in other counties, this will be even more apparent). Finally from my experience there are some locations better than others. San Francisco v. South San Francisco is a huge difference (new bornes watching Saving Private Ryan???) . Unfortunately, I haven't found San Jose to be on the positive side of things. Besides the CineArts suggestion, drive to the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto. Classic American cinema, one dollar drinks and people not using their cell phones.

If I boil it down, go to smaller theaters. Sure you may lose a curved screen and have to deal with 'only' stereo, but you'll deal with a lot less problems and still have that movie experience.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think overall things have gotten worse, but there are films that are better with an audience and some alone (and that line is not always drawn where you expect). There are also theaters (and films) that attract less of those irritates. Should it be surprising that people talk during Alien Vs. Predator? Since your in the Bay Area, CineArts is a chain where people are more respectful. There are also cultural difference. Some groups are much more vocal than others. Finally from my experience there are locations some better than others. San Francisco v. South San Francisco is a huge difference (new bornes watching Saving Private Ryan???) . Unfortunately, I haven't found San Jose to be on the best side of things. Besides the CineArts suggestion, drive to the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto. Classic American cinema, one dollar drinks and people not using their cell phones.

I went to the Bayfair Century 16 in San Leandro..Pretty damn ghetto.. I went there cause I used to date this chick in Oakland.. People talk at the theatre & add their own dialouge, which sometimes is cool if the guy is funny.. Was also where I almost got into a fight..Watching Training Day. How Ironic..

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooops, I forgot, apparently the last movie I watched is not LOTR. Don't laugh at me guys, it's 'Wild Hogs'. The movie is entertaining but the theatre is impressive. I watch it in Fox studio in LA, available only for Fox employee. My cousin works there. First thing I notice, the screen is huge, Picture quality is amazing and sound system is very good. I don't mind watching movies in this kind of theatre which unfortunately it's not available here in Philadelphia.

In that case, I'd be more willing to go..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back