Movie industry is destroying the physical format
May 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 60
In a 2 year period we will have commercial breaks in all streaming movie services once every 20 minutes or so.

Look at sports where in there is two commercial breaks each period of hockey... in NHL and the World Cup.

May 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:
In a 2 year period we will have commercial breaks in all streaming movie services once every 20 minutes or so.

Yeah, that would be absolutely horrible. It's almost like they're trying to give people reasons to "pirate" things.

I don't really watch any current American TV, but I find it both hilarious and disturbing that some networks see fit to insert these giant advertisements that literally cover up 30-40% of the screen right in the middle of a show.

May 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 60
It´s there in sports heavilly. It´s amazing what human beings can endure. In the world cup of Ice Hockey now there was two commercial breaks each period. Some of the the marketing guys in IIHF should be Kronwalled for letting that slide in the negotiations with the television companies.

May 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 60
May 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 60
I'm waiting to see the kind of people who worry about "bit perfect" playback complain about the audio being mangled by watermarks...

May 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 60
I really don't want to promote piracy but this pic is right on.
They make watching legally bought movies at home a pain in the ass.

May 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

This x1000

That's why I've stopped buying media that's defective by design.

May 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

I came here to say exactly this. This picture, along with that the OP posted, explains how movie studios haven't got the faintest idea how to appeal to a market that has absolutely no need to buy their product. I can get a movie much more easily through piracy than purchase even if I want to pay, and that's an area where they need improvement. Appeal to my wallet.

I'm still reviewing my views on piracy, since it's not exactly a topic with a right and wrong, it's a series of greys. I don't go with the "corporations are killing the music" neither with the "piracy is stealing". 

May 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #24 of 60
Piracy is stealing, and anyone who says otherwise is very likely just making excuses to themselves. Buying a car is a hassle, but no one claims that it's perfectly okay to just drive it off from the dealer without paying a dime because it's easier.

Yes, the movie industry has forced a lot of annoying things on us, and I don't agree with the direction they're going in either. But the way to fix it isn't to steal more of their products. As long as they're losing market to the downloaders and pirates, they aren't in a financial position to lighten up and make everything easier, because what would probably happen is that people would just keep stealing it and they'd lose even more money. If you really want to support the physical format, you have to convince them there actually is a demand for it and keep buying it anyway.

You can skip all of that crap the second time you watch a legally bought DVD on a computer anyway.

May 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 60
Quote:
Piracy is stealing, and anyone who says otherwise is very likely just making excuses to themselves. Buying a car is a hassle, but no one claims that it's perfectly okay to just drive it off from the dealer without paying a dime because it's easier.

Because if you do that the dealer has one fewer car on the lot.  You know, physical objects being zero sum and all that...

May 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 60
You can´t steal 1 and 0s if the 1s and 0s is still left on the original server. It´s not theft but perhaps more of a fraud thing.

The only way for the movie industry to earn more money is to make the product better it´s that simple. They shouldn´t rely on being able to sold crap to the consumer forever.
To continue the car analogy if Ford or GM want to make profit again they will have to make better cars that use less gas that customers demand instead of paying lobbyists to
make sure the government don´t force them to because it´s so freaking haaaaaard to achieve lol

I do buy products still but in a lot of ways I see that as totally wrong because it allows them to continue like this longer though it´s me they punish. Would be better to simple stop seeing movies altogether.

May 31, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

The only way for the movie industry to earn more money is to make the product better it´s that simple. They shouldn´t rely on being able to sold crap to the consumer forever.

Good films don't always make money. The first objective for the studios is to make films that people will go to see. With the budgets so high these days, the margin of error is very small. The box office earning alone is not nearly enough to pay off the production and promotion costs in most films. DVD sales and merchandising are very important. A lot of studios reply on public test screening before the films come out. The audience reaction would be used to make script changes and so on to make sure that the end product is what general public want to see.
A lot of money is also spent on promotion and trailers, sometimes as much or more than the production cost. I still see a lot of people judging a film by its trailers and make decisions based on clips that might not even be in the final film.
It is messed up. We just have to hope that a good film comes out once in a while.

May 31, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Yes, the movie industry has forced a lot of annoying things on us, and I don't agree with the direction they're going in either. But the way to fix it isn't to steal more of their products. As long as they're losing market to the downloaders and pirates, they aren't in a financial position to lighten up and make everything easier, because what would probably happen is that people would just keep stealing it and they'd lose even more money. If you really want to support the physical format, you have to convince them there actually is a demand for it and keep buying it anyway.

You can skip all of that crap the second time you watch a legally bought DVD on a computer anyway.

I really don't believe it's like stealing, because I think stealing involves property shifting ownership through unethical means, which is impossible with digital content. It's more of a "IF they had bought instead of pirating...". But I'll agree with the making excuses part, I've seen that nauseous behaviour. A girl once tried to convince me piracy helped small bands - lovely that she thought she knew better that the bands. I guess they don't want to be helped since they chose to put a price on their albums. I tried showing her how she was trying to justify her behaviour as if it were somehing helpful, instead of just being lazy/cheap. There's nothing wrong with being unethical, but let's be honest about it.

May 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #29 of 60
The way I see it, it doesn't matter whether or not "piracy" (insofar as that is even a real thing) is considered "ethical" or "unethical," "legal" or "illegal." None of that matters or has anything to do with anything. Those are just arbitrary human ideas. People having free access to digital media is merely a physical reality. If it were made "legal" tomorrow and digital copies were made available with payment optional, what would that change? People who wanted to pay for their stuff could still do so. Basically, would not the situation remain exactly the same as it is now, irrespective of peoples' meaningless opinions? Not to mention, who is it that really has the biggest stake in this issue? Who is it that actually stands to lose the most? I'm pretty sure it's not the artists. :\ Instead of blindly clinging to obsolete ideas from the past and fearing change, people should be using new technology in positive and constructive ways. So there are a two options: accept reality, or continue living in a fantasy world.

May 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #30 of 60
I realize morals don't matter here, that the phenomenon happens regardless of rights and wrongs, but humans have a tendency to spend a considerable part of their lives debating useless things like ethics, logic and headphones d^.^b I know the world doesn't bend to obey my opinions, but I like discussing them either way.
And yes, it doesn't take much observation to realize that the scenario you described is probably where all this is headed. Streaming is the future, people actually don't mind paying - they just don't want to move! And even then, considering the pirate means of streaming are much better implemented than the official ones, forcing users to pay wouldn't work, so it would be on a honor system basis probably. I don't know what's taking so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back