Movie industry is destroying the physical format
May 16, 2012 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got home the Jurassic Park trilogy on bluray. I was greeted with a world record in unstoppable previews, universal commercial and I lost count on the warning screens and the thank you for enduring all this crap by buying this movie screen to add to the insult.

I got a SD card to try out BD Live and it of course made things even worse with even more trailers and loading times from hell on my 2012 bluray player which is among the faster available.

Complained about it and then got news of tthis which will make things just about unbearable for every movie

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/05/dvds-and-blu-rays-will-now-carry-two-unskippable-government-warnings/

Wonder if these studios secretly want to get out of some bluray agreement and go for online distribution and try to silently kill it this way?
I have waited for the media to mature but it goes 100 % the wrong way. Why make it harder to buy physical discs rather then the opposite?
I like my dvd collection and bluray was a gift from above and I really don´t want to go digital but if they continue to make life harder for us what are we supposed to do.

Buy more expensive online streams of lesser quality where we sign agreements on about not owning this copy just hiring and it expires after 5 views?
Where are we going?

May 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 60
Studios see Bluray DVD as a stop- gap format. The goal is to eventually move into download and streaming completely. 

May 18, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 60
I'm waiting for the day when the music and movie "industries" just give up, get rid of b.s. copyright laws, come to terms with technology, and start allowing unrestricted distribution of digital media for free altogether (even though that's technically already reality). Unlikely as that may sound...

May 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 60
Well that is an utopy. I don´t see how they could give away everything for free. It´s a capitalistic world after all and I kind of enjoy blockbusters. It would be awful if all music, movie and game  productions would all be indie.

May 18, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 60
It doesn't really matter whether or not they do or don't want to, that's already just physical reality. Also, who said anything about indie? If anything, you'd think that production quality and creativity would all increase across the board sans this "capitalistic world." In any case, I'm not really here to argue or anything. I'll just quietly continue to live out my utopian fantasies. 
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 60
If the producers and actors are not allowed to get payed for the work all we will get is indie. Low cost, low budget and limited time because they would need other jobs to get food on the table. Capitalism is all but perfect but hard to get rid off :p

I am quite certain the quality would go down significantly also on the artistic side.

But yes I do believe it´s entirely counter productive way of reducing piracy what they are doing now. Feels like the movie and music industry is a step behind the game industry that still experiments with releasing games with no copy protection at all and certainly don´t show 5 million warnings every time you start the game.

May 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 60
Quote:
If the producers and actors are not allowed to get payed for the work all we will get is indie. Low cost, low budget and limited time because they would need other jobs to get food on the table. Capitalism is all but perfect but hard to get rid off :p

I am quite certain the quality would go down significantly also on the artistic side.

Sorry, I should have clarified. My statements were about a hypothetical world where everything else is free too. Food, recording equipment, instruments, cameras, whatever. Free access to everything they needed would allow people more opportunities to execute their ideas. Then again, sometimes that creates the opposite problem and people end up over producing things. Imposing limits can also lead to creativity. The way the world currently is though it can definitely be tough. I'm an aspiring musician myself, so I know how that feels. :\

But yes I do believe it´s entirely counter productive way of reducing piracy what they are doing now. Feels like the movie and music industry is a step behind the game industry that still experiments with releasing games with no copy protection at all and certainly don´t show 5 million warnings every time you start the game.

Interesting point. I've since lost interest in video games so I was only very vaguely aware of that.

May 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 60
Interesting utopy yes. Maybe when we get robot to do all that booring work that is necessary to make the world go around :)

May 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 60
Quote:
Well that is an utopy. I don´t see how they could give away everything for free. It´s a capitalistic world after all and I kind of enjoy blockbusters. It would be awful if all music, movie and game  productions would all be indie.

They can actually still make plenty of money if they do it right.  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to compete with free.  All they have to do is be more convenient and most people will pay a few buck for something to get a hold of it the easy way.

The fact that the quickest and easiest way to get a movie or album is usually through "piracy" should be a big clue that the content industry has no idea how to properly market their stuff.

May 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 60
I remember James Cameron visited Dreamworks when I was there. One of the question he was asked was exactly this. Film makers and studios are trying to make the movie going experience different from watching a movie downloaded from pirate bay. 3D is one of the tools that they use. Higher frame rate is another. Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time as well as the most pirated film of all time. A lot of people still paid to see the film in the cinema even though they had already seen it on their computer. It is a little bit like eating out in a restaurant when you could just cook the same dish at home. If they do it right, people will still pay for it.
Music is a whole different ball game.Illegal downloading affects the industry big time. 

May 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 60
Quote:
Music is a whole different ball game.Illegal downloading affects the industry big time. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Even if it does, it doesn't really matter since the only people who will lose anything are the middlemen.  It's not like people are are going to all of a sudden stop making music.  It's like complaining about the printing press putting scribes out of business.

May 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Even if it does, it doesn't really matter since the only people who will lose anything are the middlemen.  It's not like people are are going to all of a sudden stop making music.  It's like complaining about the printing press putting scribes out of business.

It is a  sensitive subject in these forums so I wouldn't like to go into it any further. I do see your point though.

May 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 60
May 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 60
And what makes you think we aren't going to start seeing warnings on streamed movies? Or even worse, Netflix and Hulu logos in the corner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back