moved to the full sized section
Jun 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I am considering buying a different pair of headphones to use in the library for super long overnight cram sessions which happen at least once a week during my semesters. Right now I use my custom IEMs which are comfortable but not for 20 straight hours. Isolation is extremely important here because I can't study with anything but my own noise (I usually listen to pink noise or jazz while studying) I want something over ear, I don't mind big chunky headphones. They'll be hooked up to an RSA Hornet and an ipod classic via LOD.

edit: if it helps expand things I can raise my price range to $250

edit: I am totally comfortable with buying used so if $250 used would be your suggestion then that's fine

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 17
aww nobody has any suggestions?

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #4 of 17
I'd suggest K271s, but I don't think I can wear them for 20 straight hours. Even 10 is a stretch. It can be found for under $100 in the for sale forums.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 17
On the surface a Hornet and a sub $100 head/earphone would appear to be a bit of a mis-match. But with jazz and pink noise, (pink noise may seem weird to some, but in the day I would set my TV between receivable channels every night when I slept), ER4S would be my recommendation. The main shortcoming (truncated LF) shouldn't be an issue -- more than offset my the detail and accuracy. And you will appreciate the superb isolation in the library. Get good used ones for about $100 +/- with not much downside should you decide to flip them. Fall in love with them and then get in touch with Alex at APS. Jazz and ER4S, with a good amp (like the Hornet), is a match made in heaven.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM's again or a full headphone?

full, I doubt I could wear any IEMs for more then a few hours

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest K271s, but I don't think I can wear them for 20 straight hours. Even 10 is a stretch. It can be found for under $100 in the for sale forums.

are they neutral like the K701s or do they have a bit of their own personality?

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 17
I haven't heard the K701s yet, so I can't make a good opinion, but the K271s are fairly neutral. Maybe more mids than anything though.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
full, I doubt I could wear any IEMs for more then a few hours

Hmm - I have almost always found IEMs more comfortabl than full headphones. The most comfortable IEMs so far have been (aside from customs which are far and away the best) probably my PFE's or my old shure E4C's. Westone's UM2 is not far behind, but I tended to use the foam tips which would get a bit "itchy" after 4-5 hours.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm guessing something like A700's or the new Shure headphones would do. Both are reputed to be on more of a bassy side though (especially considering you have K701), and Shures isn't even out yet. I usually recommend D1001's, but they only isolate well one way (they do well in not letting your music leak, but do bad in letting the outside noise in) so they're out of the question here. It'll be hard to find anything in the price range for your criteria otherwise, unfortunately. You may have to raise your price range a little.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 17
if the budget is limiting things so much (which is seems to be) I can go up to $250

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuin PK-1, perfect match for your portable. Also at your price range the AD900 is just in reach.

The Yuins might be a good idea, I haven't tried buds in years. I'd be super concerned about the isolation though

Unfortunately the AD900s are open, I don't think the rest of the people in the library want to hear what I'm listening to
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Open back cans in a library? Why not just use a k701 then if she already has that. I mean I know that the 701's bleed a lot but usually isolation wise and bleeding wise open back are not ideal for that use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back