Mouse -Fi
Jul 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #47 of 616
Stumbled upon a Logitech M705 at WalMart last weekend, and bought one to give it a try. I'm so pleased with it that I ordered another from Amazon to use at the office
biggrin.gif

I didn't realize there's quite a lot of reviews on YouTube. I might browse through those when I have the time, and upgrade if I find something even more ergonomic.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #48 of 616
I'm using the Razer Abyssus. Simply mouse with durable buttons and wheel.
It's a little small compared to my previous MX518 and a little less comfortable,
but it's better for clicking.

What's the point in spending so much on mice? (RAT series)
If you're playing a first person shooter, 3500 DPI should be the max dpi you
set your mouse on. Many use the 1600/1800 DPI setting. Extra-powerful
5600 DPI or 7200 DPI mice are definitely not worth the money.

ph34r.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #49 of 616
I think I've said this already, but I remember reading this article on gaming mice that stated DPI was not the most important feature of a mouse. While mice offer these fantastic resolutions, no one uses them. The word was that even pro gamers only used between 800-1,200 DPI settings on their mice, for the most part.

One thing I've noticed that I quite like is the on-the-fly sensitivity switching. I have my DeathAdder set to 3,500 DPI but I only have it at 4/10 of that for normal usage. However, when I'm playing Bad Company 2, when I'm scoped in I drop the sensitivity so I can shoot longer distances with better accuracy. Then when I'm flying I put the sensitivity very high which is very handy as certain helicopters would otherwise turn like a bus.

In those situations, It's very handy.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #50 of 616
Agree, with your DPI comments.  I toggle 800-1000, most fps pro's use lower than that (or compensate by dropping sensitivity extremely low and upping DPI).

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #51 of 616
just bought a logitech g500 to go with my newly built gaming rig (1tb hardrive, 8gb ra, evga 560ti graphics, 4-5 110mm fans (i forgot) and a massive 220mm fan mounted in a antec 900 atx tower, 750watt power supply unit and a mother board with realtek alc889 (gonna replace it with a decent soundcard) overall, a decent system 

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #52 of 616

Quote:
Agree, with your DPI comments.  I toggle 800-1000, most fps pro's use lower than that (or compensate by dropping sensitivity extremely low and upping DPI).

I find that extremely hard to believe tbh. On my g700 (at least to me, and I'm by no means a pro gamer) 900 dpi is insane slow. Unusable even for general use, I wouldn't even attempt to play any fps games with that. I use 3000dpi for general use and gaming (except for section 8, have to turn it down in that game for some reason), and adjust it up to 4000 for flying in bad company 2.

Though I've never agreed with the whole "lower sensitivity for more accuracy" thing. The way I see it, the higher sensitivity you play on, the faster you can move your cursor, and if you move your cursor faster than your opponent, you win. Accuracy comes with practice, might suck at first, but over time you'll be much better.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #53 of 616
Find it hard to believe all you want, but I bet you're not actually using it at 3,000 dpi. If you were, and it was at high sensitivity, if you moved your mouse an inch you'd rotate a full 360 half a dozen times. As it is, at my lower settings, I can rotate fully in about two to three inches.

If you're using a Razer, just so you know, the DPI you set it to in the control panel isn't necessarily what you're actually using it at. What the OS is set to, what the game is set to, it all matters.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #54 of 616
I find it hard to believe at default windows mouse settings you could use your mouse at 3000 dpi and even hit an icon on your desktop regardless of resolution. Plenty of pros for qlive, cs:source, tf2 (etc)  publish their mouse profiles and cfgs.  I dont know a single player that would play at 3000dpi and default windows mouse settings and game settings.

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #56 of 616

Quote:
Find it hard to believe all you want, but I bet you're not actually using it at 3,000 dpi. If you were, and it was at high sensitivity, if you moved your mouse an inch you'd rotate a full 360 half a dozen times. As it is, at my lower settings, I can rotate fully in about two to three inches.

If you're using a Razer, just so you know, the DPI you set it to in the control panel isn't necessarily what you're actually using it at. What the OS is set to, what the game is set to, it all matters.

In the control panel the slider is 4 ticks away from "fast", haven't touched it since I reinstalled windows a few days ago. In Setpoint; pointer speed and acceleration are both set to use "OS" settings. In game I leave the sensitivity in the middle, always feels kinda mushy if I turn it up to high and lower my mouse settings. I also don't use a razer mouse, a logitech g700, as I said.. A complete 360 in css takes about an inch and a half maybe, don't have anything to measure with.

Not to be argumentative, since logitech's setpoint is atrocious now, it could well be it. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #57 of 616
DPI is important, but most companies market their mice by telling them they have 7200 DPI, 5600 DPI or very high numbers.
For those who know next to nothing about mice, the larger the number, the better. But really, anything over 3500 DPI is a waste.
I agree that pro gamers use DPIs in the 1000s but most of them wouldn't drop below 1000, as that's quite low.

Optical mice are preferred.

Quote:
I think I've said this already, but I remember reading this article on gaming mice that stated DPI was not the most important feature of a mouse. While mice offer these fantastic resolutions, no one uses them. The word was that even pro gamers only used between 800-1,200 DPI settings on their mice, for the most part.

One thing I've noticed that I quite like is the on-the-fly sensitivity switching. I have my DeathAdder set to 3,500 DPI but I only have it at 4/10 of that for normal usage. However, when I'm playing Bad Company 2, when I'm scoped in I drop the sensitivity so I can shoot longer distances with better accuracy. Then when I'm flying I put the sensitivity very high which is very handy as certain helicopters would otherwise turn like a bus.

In those situations, It's very handy.

Are you sure gamers go lower than 800-900? The higher the DPI the more sensitivity the mouse, hence better tracking abilities (not sure if that's the right term), but too low and it'll start skipping (again, not sure if that's the right term but I'm sure you get what I mean). If it's too low, then you have to turn up the in-game sens. Which defeats the purpose of having a gaming mouse, really.

Quote:

For average gamers or semi-pros, I would imagine them to set their DPI somewhere between 1300 and 1800 for normal use. The higher the DPI, the more sensitive, so you have to set your
in-game sens lower. I've seen some people max out their DPIs and play on high in-game sens, and I don't see why there's a need to do that. A lower sens adds weight, so you can move your whole hand, instead of having it pivoted on your wrist, which imo, translates to more accurate actions.

Quote:
I find that extremely hard to believe tbh. On my g700 (at least to me, and I'm by no means a pro gamer) 900 dpi is insane slow. Unusable even for general use, I wouldn't even attempt to play any fps games with that. I use 3000dpi for general use and gaming (except for section 8, have to turn it down in that game for some reason), and adjust it up to 4000 for flying in bad company 2.

Though I've never agreed with the whole "lower sensitivity for more accuracy" thing. The way I see it, the higher sensitivity you play on, the faster you can move your cursor, and if you move your cursor faster than your opponent, you win. Accuracy comes with practice, might suck at first, but over time you'll be much better.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #58 of 616

Quote:
In the control panel the slider is 5 ticks away from "fast", haven't touched it since I reinstalled windows a few days ago. In Setpoint; pointer speed and acceleration are both set to use "OS" settings. In game I leave the sensitivity in the middle, always feels kinda mushy if I turn it up to high and lower my mouse settings. I also don't use a razer mouse, a logitech g700, as I said.. A complete 360 in css takes about an inch and a half maybe, don't have anything to measure with.

Not to be argumentative, since logitech's setpoint is atrocious now, it could well be it. 

I'm trying to remember exactly how it works, but I think if you have the game set to the middle distance it's equivalent to having half the sensitivity you have it set. So you're really in the 1,000 to 2,000 dpi range.

Quote:
DPI is important, but most companies market their mice by telling them they have 7200 DPI, 5600 DPI or very high numbers.
For those who know next to nothing about mice, the larger the number, the better. But really, anything over 3500 DPI is a waste.
I agree that pro gamers use DPIs in the 1000s but most of them wouldn't drop below 1000, as that's quite low.

Optical mice are preferred.

Are you sure gamers go lower than 800-900? The higher the DPI the more sensitivity the mouse, hence better tracking abilities (not sure if that's the right term), but too low and it'll start skipping (again, not sure if that's the right term but I'm sure you get what I mean). If it's too low, then you have to turn up the in-game sens. Which defeats the purpose of having a gaming mouse, really.

For average gamers or semi-pros, I would imagine them to set their DPI somewhere between 1300 and 1800 for normal use. The higher the DPI, the more sensitive, so you have to set your
in-game sens lower. I've seen some people max out their DPIs and play on high in-game sens, and I don't see why there's a need to do that. A lower sens adds weight, so you can move your whole hand, instead of having it pivoted on your wrist, which imo, translates to more accurate actions.

I read it in an article written by someone at Steelseries. I think, though I'm unsure, that it was on ZDnet.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #59 of 616

Quote:
I'm trying to remember exactly how it works, but I think if you have the game set to the middle distance it's equivalent to having half the sensitivity you have it set. So you're really in the 1,000 to 2,000 dpi range.

The windows sensitivity index has to do with how many pixels your cursor moves. So it is not the same thing as increasing your dpi settings. Having mine at 6/11 leave me with a 1:1 ratio, and thus has no effect on sensitivity set on my mouse.

http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks/dont-modify-your-windows-sensitivity

My mouse is set to 3000 dpi and I use it just fine. Even googleing "what DPI do you use?" results in some people using 800, and some 1600, and some over 2000. But no one blatantly says 3000 is impossible to use... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back