mourning my ie8, what to get now?
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 30
The IE7/IE8 dont go deep inside..Comply Tips do improve their insertion depth but i noticed the details get muffled up unless u take your time to adjust it.

Comply tips not worth the effort though.

i ll have to agree with the TF10 recommendation.
the highs sparkle on them unlike IE8 (without burn in)..and the details are eargasmic..

also, it has very impressive Soundstage for Balanced armature category..which lacks in most.

u ll miss the impact of IE8 for sure..the bass especially..but TF10 is the next best alternative imho

dont know about isolation though...heard it in a quite environment.

Try Westone 3 also.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #18 of 30
Hello, Yes, I noticed that with the comply tips stuff gets really muffled and that irritated me but after some tries it was ok. I do think the comply tips are worth it, they were the best fit for me and they feel very nice. I dont think i will get the etys because of the filters. I am really thinking about the tf10 or the klipsch, I do have the lisa that has a bassboost function so it might be ok... I am also thinking about the few dynamic driver options out there though. And customs of course but I am a bit afraid to go there, all the trouble with ear impressions, you have to send the impressions half way around the world, and no resale value at all.... Luckily I have no money to spend for the monet anyway. Waiting for my dock to arrive so that i can try my lisa. Also today the audio technica w5000 which I bought second hand has arrived, I hope it will have a bit of seal.
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Thanks for all the help everyone. I am a she not a he btw. I THINK I have large inner ears (although some full-size cans are too large for me) ears, the comply tips seem still a bit small to me, the t400 series that is. When i try to insert tips deeply into my ears they come out a bit again and nothing seems to fit snugly.
Thanks for the phonak tip, it sucks that they dont sell in europe though. After the ie8 I am hooked on balanced driver iems, maybe I should get a balanced driver custom like the ohr und mohr ones... I guess balanced driver just doesnt sound so good. I know the sennheiser hd25-1, I really like them and they were my favourite portable hp for quite a while, until I found the beyerdynamic dt150 which was not as uncomfortable or harsh sounding as the senns. I used the hard tips that came with the ie8, you can deform them quite easily, they seemed to work the best, the large hard tips that is. After that i sued the comply t400 tips which seemed the best for me.
I am not sure if I have strange ears, the shure se530 with default tips gave me a great seal, though not so great sound...
Greetings, Anouk,

I knew you are a she, which is why I spoke about "HD25-1 might mess up your hair or not fit in your bag as easily as an IEM"
wink.gif

Also, the HD25 mellow out nicely with a nice cable instead of the steel cable they come with. Even an HD600 cable is an upgrade, but the APS V3 cable was great!

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 30
Hey Larry, Yes the hd25 is nicely portable sturdy and isolates PRETTY DARN GOOD, the only downsides besides the harshness is, imho, the soundstage and the comfort. They are painful on my ears after a few hours. I was thinking of taking the w5000 with me on the go but thats no option, of course it isnt made for portable use. I think i will either get some tf10s in a few weeks or a dynamic driver iem.
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Hey Larry, Yes the hd25 is nicely portable sturdy and isolates PRETTY DARN GOOD, the only downsides besides the harshness is, imho, the soundstage and the comfort. They are painful on my ears after a few hours. I was thinking of taking the w5000 with me on the go but thats no option, of course it isnt made for portable use. I think i will either get some tf10s in a few weeks or a dynamic driver iem.
Greetings, Anouk,

If you have large ear canals the Triple.fi might also be an issue unless you use the bi-flange tips, and they also accept the same T400 Complys that are too small for you. With the flip-flop mod and T500 tips I was able to get them in pretty deal for a seal. I have a photo of them in my ears somewhere.

The stock tips for the Phonak will possibly be too small, and the T130 Complys tips they come with are smaller than the T400. But the Klipsch Image X10 large tips might fit you. Also consider a Stax SR-001 Mk2 portable, as they work with large ear canals and the headband is optional if they will fit inside your ear canal.

Lastly, as you know the ESW10JPN don't isolate well, and the HD25 are not comfortable for you, but the Ultrasone HFI780 isolate very well also and can be used portable and fold flat. The only problem is you might need to do a $100 re-cable if you find them too harsh in the highs. They need about 200-250 hours of burn-in to smoothe out.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 30
The IE8 certainly don't go deep inside my ear, even the double flange tips are really short. but it does give me a really good seal...

Today I realized that because of the shape of the IE8 (quite solid edges instead of round like the W3) it actually hurts my ear after 1 hr of use.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #24 of 30
Hello Larry and others, Thanks so much for your help! Bummer, i thought the tf10 accepted the comply 500 sleeves standard, that they were made for them!. I dont think i can buy the phonak as a european...
I did not know Stax made iems? Wouldnt i need a special amp for that one though. It is very interesting, is it electrostat like all their other stuff? I really like closed/sealed cans, they just cant beat the isolation of a good pair of iems though...
Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Hello Larry and others, Thanks so much for your help! Bummer, i thought the tf10 accepted the comply 500 sleeves standard, that they were made for them!. I dont think i can buy the phonak as a european...
I did not know Stax made iems? Wouldnt i need a special amp for that one though. It is very interesting, is it electrostat like all their other stuff? I really like closed/sealed cans, they just cant beat the isolation of a good pair of iems though...
Greetings, Anouk,

The TF10s DO accept the T-500 Comply tips as the standard.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Greetings, Anouk,

Actually the Triple.fi can use the Complys T400 or T500, but the external diameter of the foam tips I thought was the same. They might fit your ears better if you can get them pushed in deeper to seal than the IE8.

Here is a photo of the Triple.fi in my ears with T400 tips and the "flip=flop" mod where the earpieces are put in the opposite ears (right piece in left ear) and the cable ends unplugged and swapped so the sound is still in the correct ear. The fit better for me this way and other people as well.

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1966-triple-rt.jpg

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1965-triple-lt.jpg

As a comparison, here is a Denon C700 with the T400 tips in my ear:

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1967-denon-lt.jpg

The Stax comes with it's own amp, that runs on 2AA batteries for about 6-7 hours, and is an open back earphone. There is no isolation. Sorry: STAX SR-001 MK2 Electrostatic Earphones - eBay (item 390028484779 end time Mar-04-09 16:37:16 PST) (not my auction)

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #28 of 30
Hello, Thanks for the info, Larry. I was reading a thread about this stax with a modded version of its amp. I think i will only go stax with a big setup though (meaning non-portable) I really would like to try the o2 but I guess it is really expensive, at least ifi buy it from a local store. I think pricejapan sells stax too and maybe bluetin or audiocubes as well, that will be cheaper although I think stax is very difficult about honoring warranty if you dont buy from a distributor near you.
This is of course totally off topic...
Greeting,s Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back