Motorola V3i driving me insane...tech heads help!!!
Jun 7, 2006 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
The three exclamation points in the title are there to communicate my frustration in having spent the last 3 hours trying to accomplish 1 simple task: loading mp3 ringtones onto my new V3i. At dinner tonight I got a call and was bombarded by that puketastic "hello moto" ringtone. I resolved to do something about it. 3 hours later and I lay here curled up in a fetal position in the corner of my bedroom, a broken man.

I have a Powermac G5 running the latest version of OSX. The phone is recognized by iSync but as far as I can tell, you can't send mp3s with iSync, only calendar and contact data. I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

I've also tried installing Mobile Phone Tools on a PC (I had the software from a different Motorola phone, and it worked with that model). It doesn't recognize the phone.

I've never been so disgusted with technology in my entire life. Each time "hello moto" blares out of my phone's speaker, it's like a railroad spike is being driven into my ear canal.

Please help.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 11
did you install the USB drivers for the RAZR phone when you tried to connect it to your PC with Mobile Phone Tools?

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Easiest thing to do is to connect the phone to your Mac using Bluetooth and then just use Bluetooth File Transfer to send the ringtones over to the phone. I have used this with various phones, including a few Motos, and it has worked with any phone that supports OBEX (basically, most non-Verizon Bluetooth-capable phones).

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 11
Ah... Motorola. Look at them, but don't try to do too much with them.

I have the old V3. Let me just say that my blood pressure rises just by navigating through its menus. Interface is not Motorola's strongest points.

But the design is just soo cool. Which is why I haven't flushed it down the toilet yet.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Do you have one of the RAZRs that's been USB crippled by your provider? A few of them do it.

I've got the older RAZR, but I don't monkey with it too much. The interface is godawful. Thing is, I love the size, weight and aluminum. Reception and sound quality are good, too.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
Easiest thing to do is to connect the phone to your Mac using Bluetooth and then just use Bluetooth File Transfer to send the ringtones over to the phone. I have used this with various phones, including a few Motos, and it has worked with any phone that supports OBEX (basically, most non-Verizon Bluetooth-capable phones).

Agreed, this would be the easiest way to do it!

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Do you have one of the RAZRs that's been USB crippled by your provider? A few of them do it.

Even if you do have one of those, it isn't too hard to do. I 'enabled' mine last month

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik

I've got the older RAZR, but I don't monkey with it too much. The interface is godawful. Thing is, I love the size, weight and aluminum. Reception and sound quality are good, too.

Yep. My sentiments exactly. It's nice to look at and stow, terrible to actually use. Thankfully, I don't use mine for anything other than sending and receiving calls. Even navigating to the messages section makes me angry.

But it does suit my needs perfectly. I would advise power users to stay far far away.

I had the same problems in getting mine to connect via USB to phone tools. They want you to buy a Motorola branded USB cord. I ended up using an existing one I had for my Canon SD550 digicam. It took a few tries, but it eventually worked.

I finally have RJD2 "Two More Dead" as my ringtone. It kicks much ass.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 11
you can just take the transflash card and stick it in the sd adapter and transter the files you want that way. Once you're done and you want the files transferred onto your phone, just browse the memory card (with sounds app) and mark each file and select Move to Phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back