Motorcyclists: do you use IEM's while riding?
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
Whats up guys.

I've been out of the loop on headphones for a few years now and last time I checked the best sounding IEM according to most was the Etymotic ER-4P.

I've never tried them but looking at the design it seems like it would stick out too far to be used comfortably with a helmet.

To protect my hearing the earphone should isolate and basically replace the earplugs I use. Wind noise is a killer and I've talked to too many near-deaf riders to ride without my holes plugged up and safe.

So anyways, whats the IEM that protrudes the least, isolates the most, and sounds the best (considering my budget of $200 or less)?

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 42
I think that would be dumb...Running in the streets or biking with IEM's is dangerous enough, but riding a motorcycle?

I'm pretty sure all headphones are banned in most places for car drivers, I would imagine the same for bikers.

Anyway, obligatory Shure/Ultimate Ears/Future Sonics/Ety/etc.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 42
I use UM2s when riding. Mostly with them either barely on, or off. They make great earplugs. They fit flush with the ear, so for non-customs, they're about as good as you'll get.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 42
there are actually a couple of threads in the members forum on this very topic. just search and you'll find it.

but the short answer is that i use er6is with very good isolation and they're short-stemmed so sit flush in the ear.

and my guess is that overlordxenu doesn't ride motorcycles so doesn't understand how important wearing earplugs while riding is. i prefer not to wear earplugs/IEMs in city riding and for short trips but when i used to live in the country and had hour long commutes on country roads, IEMs were a must. many of the top motorcycle magazines promote earplugs for long rides to save hearing...protection from these things actually reduces fatigue and can make one a more alert rider. at least that's my view on the subject...

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 42
Another vote for Er6i. My helmet is fairly snug and have never had a problem with fit.

Currently using them with the Shure medium black foam plugs. Shorter than the Etymotic flesh coloured ones, but better made and seal just as well if not better.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that would be dumb...Running in the streets or biking with IEM's is dangerous enough, but riding a motorcycle?

I'm pretty sure all headphones are banned in most places for car drivers, I would imagine the same for bikers.

Anyway, obligatory Shure/Ultimate Ears/Future Sonics/Ety/etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it customary for bikers to ride with ear plugs? Seems a bit dangerous.

It's not like you can hear anything over the motorcycles engine anyways. I've also seen numerous people mention the Westone UM1 and UM2's. I'll give a vote for the Etymotic ER-6i because with the double flanged tips they go in your ear and look as if two wires are just hanging from them. Check my sig, I have a picture of me wearing the Ety ER-6i's. Hope this helps.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not like you can hear anything over the motorcycles engine anyways. I've also seen numerous people mention the Westone UM1 and UM2's. I'll give a vote for the Etymotic ER-6i because with the double flanged tips they go in your ear and look as if two wires are just hanging from them. Check my sig, I have a picture of me wearing the Ety ER-6i's. Hope this helps.

x2 These things are tiny. I use the bi-flanges and it definitely looks like two wires are hanging out of my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it customary for bikers to ride with ear plugs? Seems a bit dangerous.

Wind noise is very loud even with full face helmets and will harm your hearing so, yes, ear plugs are customary. Your eyes are more important than your ears when it comes to riding.

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 42
I only use earplugs when I go on rides longer than 10 miles. I had a 1 hour commute (each way) for a while and actually damaged my hearing because of the wind noise. I started using earplugs and it was a huge relief. I'm still able to hear everything around me. They take the bite off the wind noise and the motor/pipes noise.

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 42
I use custom molded ear plugs when I ride. I wouldn't play music while riding. I can't afford the distraction and am afraid that the rhythm of the music would conflict with the rhythm of the road. I will emphatically agree that some form of ear plugs are necessary when riding.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 42
Ahhhh come on, listening to IEM's while riding a motorcycle is EXACTLY like having a radio blaring in your car with the windows closed
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhhh come on, listening to IEM's while riding a motorcycle is EXACTLY like having a radio blaring in your car with the windows closed
wink.gif

I'd agree except that riding a motorcycle is nothing like driving a car.

Ear plugs are a requirement for me for highway speeds but no music.

Ant

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 42
I was using Panasonic clipons with my DAP last year, these are very similar or maybe even oem ksc-75's. (hey they were 8.99 at wal*mart, and they sound good!) I've never liked IEM's, though to be fair I've never tried a really good fitting set.

This was in my Sy-Max flip-up helmet, and yeah the ear clips did start to hurt after an hour or so. I have a new HJC CL-SP that fits much more snugly and I haven't tried any 'phones in it, since my DAP had been out of commision and I haven't been riding that much lately.

Noam
'97 Concours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back