Motorcycle IEMs?
Jul 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #16 of 74
I would second the Etymotic MC5 suggestion.

Good sound quality, the Best Isolation, and fitted with a small size Comply Foam Canal Tip... Very Nice, all day comfort.

The Ety Kids model due have a smaller barrel diameter, But what biker wants to say... I got the Ety Kids model.

Buy em, Try em, then if he doesn't like em... Take em back.

Jim

PS Look up the Comply Canal Tips on the Complyfoampro.com site.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 74
Quote:
I've ridden with my SE215's and they worked very well with a full face.  The fact that they are over the ear helps when putting on the helmet. 

Yeh IMO the shures are perfect for riding. They sit snug and flush and don't need constant adjustment. Isolation is good too.
Quote:
Should anybody be wearing IEMs if they are on a motorcycle?
Just wonderin', that's all.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I'd think it would make the road seem quite detached...maybe not a good thing lol

Believe me it's hard to feel detached while riding. It's also surprisingly noisy without ear protection. PLUS you can actually take a call while riding.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #19 of 74
Quote:
I'd think it would make the road seem quite detached...maybe not a good thing lol

It really depends on the rider, the scenario and the choice of music.

In slow commuting traffic where the primary concern is fast threat detection and avoidance, I don't use them, because ambient sound is an asset.

On highways, it's unwise to go without hearing protection regardless and there's nothing to be gained by avoiding music.

In the twisties where there are few cars, you're travelling reasonably fast and your primary concern is being smooth, consistent and focussed on the road and feedback through the bike, cutting out one sense that's being piped full of garbage (wind noise) can actually assist.  I find slow, smooth instrumental tracks are very beneficial, while fast/loud genres like dubstep or metal will tend to drive you to ride faster and more aggressively.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 74
Quote:
Head-fi gets a few members asking questions about IEM's for bike riders frquently  

I see a lot of members decide on the SoundMAGIC E30 or SoundMAGIC PL50 for a few reasons. It's small, worn over the ear, within a nice price range has, ear guides and sounds great. Considering your friend doesn't want to spend a whole amount of $$$ the E30 would be a perfect contender for this application.

Both are around the $40 - 60 mark.

Middle: E30

Far right: PL50

I tried these. Overall, they are a royal pain to get fitted properly, but if your helmet is correctly sized (they are supposed to be quite snug) that will be the case with whatever you have. The PL50's worked but I found the lack of bass annoying, pl30's worked ok. E30's on the other hand I find are shaped different and press against my ear in a way that becomes painful after half hour to hour or so. Also found they didn't fit under the helmet well at all. Will be trying the brainwavz alphas after next, if this fails might go back to the pl30, I do love that speaker.

I have heard good reports of people going the er6i's. I do believe these are no longer for sale? How about the um1's?

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 74
I agree totally.  I hate to be a wet blanket and knowitall, but I've got 20 years of riding experience and I find this idea to be absolutely suicidal.  There is no effing way a rider should be listening to music or talking on a phone or in anyway being distracted from the road much less reducing his/her ability to sense the environment.  I'm sorry to be so direct and offensive I am sure to those who think its no big deal but this idea represents such appallingly bad judgment that ... well ... I can't think of a polite way to finish that sentence!

And for a more subjective argument,  I can't think of anything better than hearing the motor, wind & road.  Thats half the reason, to let go of everything and just enjoy the ride.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #22 of 74
Really?  You don't find buffetting wind-noise distracting and fatiguing?  For me, it's a helluva lot worse than some tunes when you're travelling at a decent clip (in traffic is different).  Not to mention the damage it'll cause to your ears over time.

While I don't think people should be "actively" listening, or zoning out, I've still not heard a decent argument putting on some tunes for the combination of sound isolation and enjoyment.  Saying that not being able to hear your environment is dangerous when all you can hear is wind and someone's horn if you're lucky just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 74
As someone who rode a bike (Vespa PX) everyday for five years, from South London to NW London, a hell of a journey (old kent road, waterloo bridge, marylebone road)
I needed a sixth sense, not one taken away from me.

Bike riders really need to hear the traffic, headphones are a really bad idea.

Wait until you get to work/destination.

be safe

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 74
Quote:
As someone who rode a bike (Vespa PX) everyday for five years, from South London to NW London, a hell of a journey (old kent road, waterloo bridge, marylebone road)
I needed a sixth sense, not one taken away from me.

Bike riders really need to hear the traffic, headphones are a really bad idea.

As someone who rode a Vespa, I suspect wind noise and out-of-city riding wasn't an issue for you 
tongue.gif
 (actually, I can't really say that, since my stepdad does a fair few country kms on his 250GTS)

Seriously though - there's a huge difference in the riding styles required for riding in traffic vs twisties/country roads.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 74
I find that a lot depends on the helmet, if it's tight fitting then anything like the shure's hurt like hell after 15 mins. I tried my ie80's with a BMW carbon fibre helmet that I use a lot and my left ear was sore for the whole of the next day, so won't be dong that agan in a hurry...

My Shure e5's are also out of the question and the only ones that I find are comfy enough are the sennheiser cx 300's. Listening whilst riding a normal bike is never going to give an audiophile experience due to the noise levels, so my view is use a set that give a decent seal and are as small as possible.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 74
Quote:
I have a co-worker who I was telling about my recent  purchase beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80's and he mentioned how he was looking for a set of earphones to ride his bike with. I suggested IEM's. He said he tried a couple (non brand specific or quality specific) and felt that they just didn't do well riding. Mainly due to the fact that they didn't fit right inside his ear and kept falling out. I think this is due to a smaller ear canal or just poor design. Probably a little of both but primarily the latter. 

I wanted to get some input on what he should get. Something that will fit in there snuggly primarily. But at the same time, I want to introduce him to the world of excellent isolation and audio that can be achieved through IEMs. 

I was thinking about suggesting the Etymotic MC5. However, I read that the cable is slightly microphonic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't know his price range. My guess is that it will be on the lower end considering his lack of interest in quality sound (or lack of knowledge, but im trying to turn him on to it)...I feel comfortable suggesting something under 60 dollars or so. 

Thanks for your time and consideration! 

Brainwavz R1s have a good fit, inside the helmet as well. Well under $60, definitely worth a shot. I have been riding with them for almost a week now. The best one from my experience, I would say by design would be RE-262. Or you could try a custom, Cosmic ears starting at $105 (http://cosmicears.com/store/)

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 74
Quote:
Really?  You don't find buffetting wind-noise distracting and fatiguing?  For me, it's a helluva lot worse than some tunes when you're travelling at a decent clip (in traffic is different).  Not to mention the damage it'll cause to your ears over time.

While I don't think people should be "actively" listening, or zoning out, I've still not heard a decent argument putting on some tunes for the combination of sound isolation and enjoyment.  Saying that not being able to hear your environment is dangerous when all you can hear is wind and someone's horn if you're lucky just doesn't pass the sniff test.

A good helmet will attenuate wind and excess road noise nicely.  I say rather than spend the money on a set of noise attentuating IEMS, spend the money on a  better helmet.  A quality helmet will produce a nice comfortable ride thats easy on the ears and still allows you to hear your surroundings and more importantly does not present an opportunity for distraction.  Just my 2c.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 74
Quote:
A good helmet will attenuate wind and excess road noise nicely.  I say rather than spend the money on a set of noise attentuating IEMS, spend the money on a  better helmet.  A quality helmet will produce a nice comfortable ride thats easy on the ears and still allows you to hear your surroundings and more importantly does not present an opportunity for distraction.  Just my 2c.

Not enough that you won't damage your hearing over time if you're racking up miles at highway speeds.  How fast do you usually ride, out of interest?  And what exactly is it so important that you hear when riding highways/country roads?

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I'm genuinely perplexed.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Not enough that you won't damage your hearing over time if you're racking up miles at highway speeds.  How fast do you usually ride, out of interest?  And what exactly is it so important that you hear when riding highways/country roads?

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I'm genuinely perplexed.

My motorcycle was my only vehicle for about 7 of the 20 years, up to 50 miles a day in mixed traffic and posted speeds in every road environment from rural podunk to Los Angeles rush hour.  Most of my driving was in Los Angeles or Houston so big city, but 3 of those years was in smaller more rural mountainous conditions.  The rest of the 20 years was mostly leisure travel usually at posted freeway speeds but much less frequent.  I haven't done any cross country hauls, and drove more than a couple hundred miles in any one day.  When I really had to rely on the bike for daily rush hour driving 50 miles a day I bought a good helmet which really reduced road noise to a very comfortbale and in my estimation non-damaging level. 

But it is good to be concerned with hearing loss and if your helmet or lack of doesn't scratch the itch I suggest simple ear plugs that just attenuate the noise rather than headphones or simply don't drive a motorcycle.  There are so many ways to eat it on a bike and if you do your chances of dying or serious injury are huge!  Why would you want to limit your senses AND invite distraction.  The payoff is so small I just can't see any justification for it. 

And what are you listening for?  Well, the most important thing you are listening for is ANYTHING!  Anything that might indicate a problem, maybe its your tire making a funny noise because you hit a nail or something.  Maybe you need to hear the horn of the guy who missed the red light and about to side swipe you.  What about sitting at a stop light and the guy behind you who noticed it too late and is about to rear end you and the only indication you will have is the sound of a speeding car charging up behind you.  You could easily die in either of those scenerios so why risk it?

What about simply not having the distraction of:
-The music to occupy you mind
-the ipod to find whatever you want to hear
-the phone ringing
-the cable that comes disconnected and you need to reattach it
-the volume to adjust when you go from recording to recording with different loudness levels and dynamics
-the speaker that pops out of your ear and you need to get your finger up there and tease it back in
and on and on and on 

Why would you introduce that and affect your safety for the same song you've heard a hundred times?!?  There is a reason I've been driving for 20 years as much as I have and only have one ugly bruise to show for it (which happened 20 years ago btw).  That reason is I take this @#$% very seriously and don't mess around.  My hearing is fine too.  I have to get it tested every so often for work.  I just had it tested and its still well within normal.  Not bad for a guy who loves stereos and motorcycles!

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #30 of 74
I really question how safe this is to be using IEMs while operating a bike. I'll admit I've used IEMs (not the best isolation either mind you) while driving but on a bike it's a different ball game. There are just too many reckless drivers out there and having your senses hindered in anyway can mean life or death. Especially for motorcyclists and people on foot. Just some food for thought guys. I've been in 3 accidents concerning vehicles and my own bike. I was very fortunate to have quick enough reflexes to avoid getting severely hurt or even killed. I pretty much ditched my bike in 2 of the incidents and the 3rd one I was hit but managed to fall in a way where I didn't get hurt. The bike was pinned under her car though... I wasn't wearing any sort of headphones and I can tell you know if I was I might not be here today. All these accidents stemmed from reckless drivers not paying attention and rushing.

That's just one reason why I really like my IE80s and Tralucents while out and about because the isolation isn't the scary type of isolation you get from Customs. I'd be way too nervous about something happening due to not being aware of my surroundings. I know it's nice to be able to block out the world and enjoy your music but there is an appropriate time for it and generally it's not where vehicles are operating....
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back