Motorcycle helmet as a bike helmet?
Aug 9, 2009 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
I absolutely hate the look of bike helmets but since I'm going back to school with just a bike I'm going to need something. I was thinking one of these with the neck pads removed and the front visor taken off. I'm just wondering A. will it look totally stupid and B. is it even legal to substitute a motorcycle helmet for a bike helmet?

zox-banos.jpg

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 32
While I'd imagine it would be entirely illegal to use a bicycle helmet on a motorcycle, I wouldn't see why it would be illegal to use a motor cycle helmet on a bike. Certainly if the kind you posted is the kind you are considering. Never seen someone do it before, but if you take off the visor and neckpads on that one, I'd imagine it would look something like those helmets skateboarders are always wearing.

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 32
It will look stupid I think. Here in the Netherlands no one wears helmets when on a bike and a lot of people use bikes here!

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 32
It would probably look pretty stupid but the biggest problems for you will be the increased weight and lack of ventilation. Forking out for a proper cycle helmet would probably be the better bet.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 32
^^ agree..a proper bike helmet is very well recommended for the reasons mentioned.

I would love to visit netherlands..Portland always seems to be trying to learn and adopt bike friendly and safety cues from you trail blazers.
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 32
Rock climbing helmet is a better idea.

Here's the thing: The CPSC mandated bicycle helmet design is only designed to protect you in the event that you go head-first over the handlebars. The bureaucrats who designed it are terrified by those accidents. At the time they also mandated huge ape-hanger handlebars with a crossmember that tended to crush sternums, but they relented on that one.

So, if you have an end-o accident, the bicycle helmet will keep you from cracking open your skull. Maybe.

If, on the other hand, you fall over sideways, some statistics show that the CPSC style bicycle helmet actually increases the occurrence and severity of brain and neck injuries due to the way that it will catch the pavement and jerk your head around.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 32
The motorcycle helmet looks fine. They're designed to protect you at much higher speeds than a bicycle helmet, anyhow. If you have one handy, wear it.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 32
Use a bike helmet, aside from the sweat factor the weight comes into play, I dont know how heavy that helmet is but all the bike helmets ive used have been way heavier than a bike helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back