Motorcycle-Fi
Dec 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #286 of 499
I'm finding it hard to believe steel braided brake lines contributed to the crash.  Especially a low side.

He just got the brake lines installed and was heading home on Sunset. He wasn't used to the pressure needed compared to his old lines, saw a pothole at the last second, locked the brakes and went down.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #287 of 499

Quote:
He just got the brake lines installed and was heading home on Sunset. He wasn't used to the pressure needed compared to his old lines, saw a pothole at the last second, locked the brakes and went down.

Still not convinced.  Because this still tells me it's 100% rider error and not due to the brake lines.  You just don't grab a fist full of front brake on a sport bike.  This is one of my gripes with the MSF classes.  They tell you to use all four fingers on the brake lever.  When with sport bikes you should only use two and I've seen some track guys and racers use one to finesse the application.  And as I've said, stainless brake lines do improve the braking consistency and feel of the brakes but not by a large night and day difference.  If you've said, he had just installed a new Brembo master or a set of Brembo monoblock calipers, then I would believe it more.  It's just poor technique here and not knowing what the bike's brakes can do in a panic situation.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #288 of 499

Quote:
Have done both..And both are scary enough to make you crap yourself. 

I have lost some of my confidence after going down 4 times this season. 

But I am eager to get on the bike and keep riding. THis time be a little smarter and dial it down two notches and concentrate on basics.

Props to you for your persisstence and your drive to learn.

I had to take a step back a couple of times at the track.  Last time was two years ago when my riding coach made me stay centered on the bike and focus on my technique more.  I was hanging off wrong and crossing up my body.  When I corrected this, it was a world of difference.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #289 of 499

Quote:
Props to you for your persisstence and your drive to learn.

I had to take a step back a couple of times at the track.  Last time was two years ago when my riding coach made me stay centered on the bike and focus on my technique more.  I was hanging off wrong and crossing up my body.  When I corrected this, it was a world of difference.

Yeah...am just glad it has all been low sides.. albeit the latter three on the track and two of those were at 65 mph.

I need to work on the exact same thing..not hanging off at all in some places.. coasting too much before and sometimes into the turn, too quick on the way out (got me the last time i went down) and riding crossed up (almost in nearly every damn photo i have of me on the trak).

Good thing is that i made friends of the instructors there..i am in touch with them duirng the off season and a couple of them are very encouraging.  Looking very much forward to relearning a few things and un learning a bunch more in 5-6 months time. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #290 of 499
Still not convinced.  Because this still tells me it's 100% rider error and not due to the brake lines.  You just don't grab a fist full of front brake on a sport bike.  This is one of my gripes with the MSF classes.  They tell you to use all four fingers on the brake lever.  When with sport bikes you should only use two and I've seen some track guys and racers use one to finesse the application.  And as I've said, stainless brake lines do improve the braking consistency and feel of the brakes but not by a large night and day difference.  If you've said, he had just installed a new Brembo master or a set of Brembo monoblock calipers, then I would believe it more.  It's just poor technique here and not knowing what the bike's brakes can do in a panic situation.

are you trolling or just having a bad day?

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #292 of 499
ALways wondered where i could watch those races, does Speed show them? I've also wanted one of those little wiener bikes just to get a taste.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #293 of 499

Quote:
ALways wondered where i could watch those races, does Speed show them? I've also wanted one of those little wiener bikes just to get a taste.

Speed shows the MotoGP, World Superbikes, and AMA.  Coverage is marginal at best because Nascrap usually pre-empts or shuffles coverage.  In addition, they found it necessary to make watching the MotoGP races painful with the idiot US commentator that jumps in at the beginning of coverage at every break.  The regular commentators like Gavin Emmitt runs circles around this fool.  We don't need his help.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #294 of 499
went motocrossing last friday. Within 2 mins sprained my ankle pretty bad and nearly **** my pants.

It was an indoor track in Vancouver Washinton.

A little too much for a beginner MX place and since i hadn't been on my dirt bike for over 6 months.

I might try MX again at a mellower track this Friday if i can get my friend to go.

Sub frame for my R6 has arrived. 

Need to install it and get it inspected, get the salvage title and its going to be my track weapn next season. THough i think i'll have to spend a lot more time being slow and concentracting on basic cornering and braking before i attack the track.. else it will only be a weapon out to kill me!!  lol

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #295 of 499
 I've been wanting to get a sport bike for quite some time (Daytona 675 on my mind), but this audio, car, gun, knife, watch, camera stuff has been getting in the way. Haha. I've also been concerned with stories I hear of rider position discomfort for taller riders on the Daytona (6'2" 200lbs), but I'm sure it will be alright. :wink:

Alex

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #296 of 499
More than anything else, keeping the bike clean is whats stopping me from picking one up. I used to keep my race bikes on the amateur-side of factory bike clean, and that's not a hobby or pastime, its a lifestyle. I seriously don't think I can keep a gungy bike. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #297 of 499
I have been riding for 2 years.

My first bike is a moped; Yamaha Spark 135. A 135cc single cylinder moped. Quite fun to ride, got punchy torque but bad top end power. Still have it with me and I use it quick or emergency rides. I have no picture of my bike, I just grab one from the internet.

My second bike is a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. This bike is probably still be classified as a learners' bike for you guys, but believe me it's one of the premium bikes here. Sold that bike because it was left unused.

So now I'm using a Yamaha Scorpio. It's a single cylinder 225cc bike.

I live in South East Asia by the way. Big bikes are not common while mopeds are everywhere.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #298 of 499
my babies. started off on the honda jazz 50cc in high school then got a 2008 ninja 250r in 2008, it's a great little city bike. when I calculated gas mileage last summer it was something like 55mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back