Motorcycle-Fi
Aug 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #106 of 500
I'm still knocking around on an old 1981 Yamaha XJ750 Seca.
I bought it in 1999 for $1,000, with 9K on the odometer.
It passed 100K in 2009, and still going strong!

My first bike was a 1969 BSA 650 Lightning, that I bought from a friend in 1972.

Steve

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #107 of 500
^^ nice

here's a decent shot of my ride. Recently installed a corbin seat on it. ANy of you planning on rallying through fall and winter? I am stil on the look out for a good pair of riding pants. Am open for suggestions. 

Looking for something warm and waterproof. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #108 of 500

Quote:
 I am stil on the look out for a good pair of riding pants. Am open for suggestions. 

Looking for something warm and waterproof. 

I'm very happy with my Aerostitch riding suits.  Got both the two-piece and then the Darien fifteen years ago.  Both have been a pleasure to own and are still going strong.  Nice company, too.  www.aerostitch.com

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #109 of 500
Just ordered and received a non-modular Sargent Seat w/no heat for the ZX-14 only for the really long rides.

My wife and I did 163 mph last weekend for 2 seconds. Am I a bad person? The thrill is just too much to not do it.
I got 2nd gear up to 110, then flipped to 3rd, then 4th, and the next thing that I know... Didn't even feel the pull. Just saw the blur.
It's inexplicable for those who've never done it.

Zoom, zoom.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #110 of 500
bah...can't wait to graduate to something like an R6 or a 600RR. Most i have done is hit 100 a few times (including today in the rain). The first ime i hit a 105 MPH, with a friend, we got pulled over by a motorcycle cop. I was on an instruction permit and we were doing 105 in a 55 zone. We had been riding an SUV's ass coming down I5 for a couple of miles doing 65-70. He finally moved over. My friend and I dropped a gear and took off hitting 105 for like 5 secs. I see flashing blue lights in my mirror, my friend turns around to see if i was behind him or not. He spots the cop as well, we pull off to the shoulder dreading the worst. The cop pulls up on his bike next to my friend and says " what the hell are you guys doing?" YOu were well over a 100 back there. To which my friend responds, " We wouldn't have done it if we had seen you behind us officer". Lols My friend starts to take off his helmet, the cop stops  him and says he is off duty and asked us to watch our speed. We putt our way to the next exit which was our destination incidentally thanking the motorcycle gods.
If we had gotten the ticket that day, my friend would have got stuck with both and boy would it have been a steep one!
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> I think the cop knew that we all get the urge to open up the taps once in a while. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #111 of 500

Quote:
Just ordered and received a non-modular Sargent Seat w/no heat for the ZX-14 only for the really long rides.

My wife and I did 163 mph last weekend for 2 seconds. Am I a bad person? The thrill is just too much to not do it.
I got 2nd gear up to 110, then flipped to 3rd, then 4th, and the next thing that I know... Didn't even feel the pull. Just saw the blur.

Zoom, zoom.

All I know is that back in the 80s the paint for the lane stripes got slippery around an indicated 150MPH.
eek.gif
  Then on the CBR600F2, I spent an hour over the ton crossing northern Wisconsin.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
  Finally knew why one guy wrote "when I got back under 60, it felt so slow that I wanted to get off and see if we were actually moving".  And yes, you are a bad person; wilfull and wanton reckless endangerment.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
  PS: you obviously made a good choice on the wife.
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #112 of 500

Zoom, zoom.

Fully opening the throttle is just mandatory once in a while. :p
I can not help to do it myself sometimes. Hit the rev limiter on most gears several times this summer. LOL

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #114 of 500
The white lanes and the lane sealer for cracks and drawbridges used to scare the hell out of me, on the '93 Katana. With the ZX, most of those conditions don't seem to affect it.

Technology has changed drastically over the last 5 years. As Keith code said, tires that were invented for track, especially dual compounds, have trickled down to production street bikes as standard fare. I used to have to cross RR tracks and drawbridges at a 45 degree angle. Those days are long gone. Just stay off the center of the lane, unless it just rained hard for 2 days.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #115 of 500

Quote:
  PS: you obviously made a good choice on the wife.
beerchug.gif

Yes, she's a keeper. I joke around and say (although it's the truth) that my ex-wife used to tap my leg to slow down, and my current wife of 17 years taps my leg to speed up.

She's amazing. She knows to tuck in when entering highway ramps, and knows exactly when I'm going to add 70 mph in a few seconds. Now if I can only stop her from
banging into the back of my Shoei X11 
duggehsmile.png

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #117 of 500

Quote:
Yes, she's a keeper. I joke around and say (although it's the truth) that my ex-wife used to tap my leg to slow down, and my current wife of 17 years taps my leg to speed up.

She's amazing. She knows to tuck in when entering highway ramps, and knows exactly when I'm going to add 70 mph in a few seconds. Now if I can only stop her from
banging into the back of my Shoei X11 
duggehsmile.png

SWMBO would only get on the back if there was a meal at the end of the road, the the gf wants to go everywhere and seems to like fast.
biggrin.gif
  She is putting together how to work with the bike very quickly.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #119 of 500
Does a digital pic of a late 70's kodak shot count? Seen below is a shot of my ex-race turned practice bike:

- Husqvarna 250 CR
- modified to run 17.5" dual chamber Fox Air Shox

Was racing a Husqvarna 390 CR at the time. Have been looking very keenly at the new 796 Monster.

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #120 of 500
I know that this is a fairly common question and that it is suggested that a new rider begins on a 250, but I was just wondering what everyone here thought:
I finally have my license, and plan on getting a bike in the very near future. As of right now the two bikes I have been looking at, have been a 2008 or later Ninja 250 or an older (2000ish) CBR 600. Some background info on myself:
I have been driving (car) for 4 years now and have been ridding manual atvs (250-500 cc) for the last 6 years.  Do you think it is a smarter idea to start on the 250 and grow into the 600 or will I outgrow the 250 within a month or so? I guess what I am asking is whether or not 250s are recommended to new riders because it is assumed the rider will be overwhelmed with learning how to shift as well as riding or if 600 is simply to powerful for someone to learn the mechanics and techniques on?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back