Motorcycle-Fi
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #451 of 494
That's astounding considering the inherent dangers that come with motorcycles...

In the UK I had to first take a CBT (compulsory basic training) on a 125cc bike which consisted of an entire day of instruction both in a car-park scenario, and then an on the road competency. Following that I was then required to do a theory test, without which you cannot sit your practical tests. You're then required to complete a Mod 1 and Mod 2 test, the former where you're in a supervised (one on one) purpose built complex, where the test instructor tasks you with completing various maneuvers. If you pass this you move to the Mod 2, which is again a one on one instructor supervised test, but out on the roads. You are then allowed to ride bikes larger than 125cc. This again differs if you're under 21, where you are restricted to an A2 licence (47bhp max). Sure there are some other regulations for under 21s and the progression to a full A (unrestricted) licence, but as I did mine when I was 27 I'm not fully up to date on what they are. Then of course there are the extortionate insurance costs on top, unless you're either old or lucky enough to live away from a city.

My progression was essentially a 125cc which I rode for about 2,500 miles, trained for my full licence, then on to a Yamaha MT-07 for ~3 years and 36,000 miles. I'm now on the BMW K1300S.

Yes, it is astounding. Even though driving is a privilege here, it's treated as more of a right; this includes motorcycle endorsements. That's why licensing in general in the States is a total joke. I'm the rare one probably less than 1% of the population where I've had extensive driver/motorcycle training. Not only have I driven emergency vehicles in a past life, I've done autocrossing, a BMW all day driving clinic, MSF BRC, MSF ERC, and 10+ years of track time with California Superbike School.

What you've outlined as the progression/requirement for your motorcycling licensing is what should be done here. I've found Europeans treat driving more seriously and are in general just better drivers.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #452 of 494
44194E43-59FB-405C-BAB9-CDCA8E84565F.jpeg

2018 ninja 400. My only ride at this moment, but I’m okay with that. Love riding, been on bikes for the better part of 25 years.

May 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #457 of 494
It was a rough choice for me between the Hockenheim Silver & Imperial Blue Metallic.
I went with the IBM because it more subtle.against the black.

Mine's not metallic , it's a cool matte finish. Didn't think that I was going to like it, but we fell in love with it and get compliments every time we stop somewhere.

:beerchug:

This was a question on Jeopardy. I was pleasantly surprised:

thumbnail_20191203_193126.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #458 of 494
Mine's not metallic , it's a cool matte finish. Didn't think that I was going to like it, but we fell in love with it and get compliments every time we stop somewhere.

:beerchug:

This was a question on Jeopardy. I was pleasantly surprised:

thumbnail_20191203_193126.jpg
Yes, I know yours isn't metallic, but they only offer the Hockenheim Silver Metallic for the 'B'.
BMW made motorcycles before they made cars.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #461 of 494
@j7ols Absolutely beautiful machine; reminds me of an elite-tier thoroughbred. If I had the space I'd like to have something similar in my stable (whilst we're the on horse puns). I do enjoy the all around comfort and usability of my K1300S, but it's still something of a heavy lump. I imagine it's to the RSV4 as the chef's knife is to a scalpel.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #462 of 494
@j7ols Absolutely beautiful machine; reminds me of an elite-tier thoroughbred. If I had the space I'd like to have something similar in my stable (whilst we're the on horse puns). I do enjoy the all around comfort and usability of my K1300S, but it's still something of a heavy lump. I imagine it's to the RSV4 as the chef's knife is to a scalpel.
I'll carry with the horse analogy... Its horses for courses.... Twisty road, I'll take the RSV. Fast open long journey, I'll take a K1300.
I've ridden bikes all my life and the progression in brakes, HP and electronics in the last 5 years is staggering.
But, just being on 2 wheels always brings a smile to my face, whatever the bike it'll have some charm.
PS. I've just bought a 13 year old MV Agusta F1000R that needs some TLC. Looking forward to getting that on the road.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #463 of 494
Recently added the official BMW panniers (and gave the K a wash). They've exceeded my expectations and look a lot nicer in the flesh than they did in the online imagery.

11260166.jpg

I was over at a coastal location where bikers tend to congregate en mass earlier today and saw another K1300S owner. We got to chatting and he'd put over 100,000 miles on his previous one and was up to 85,000 on his current 2016 model and apparently had no issues with either during their entire time. Quite astounding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back