motorcycle alarms?
May 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ampl1tude

100+ Head-Fier
iif you have a motorcycle what type of alarm do you have for it? if you don't have an alarm, what type of theft protection do you have for it?

May 9, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 14
I just use a disk lock (with a bright orange cable reminder) and a cover. I also leave it parked in a car port, but it's just an 1100 Shadow. I haven't had any problems. I work in a nice business park, so I use just the steering wheel lock.

If I had a more expensive bike, I would definitely get a lojack.

What type of bike do you own?

May 9, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Mine came with a factory installed anti-theft system. No siren, but it disables the ignition. I can add a siren and pager to the system if desired. Other than setting the anti-theft system, I just lock the fork/ignition.

The problem with bikes is that no matter what you use a bike can always be lifted into a truck/van, unless it's physically attached to something with a chain and lock, which is why I would never bother with a disc lock. I suppose it makes it impossible to roll the bike away, but if you try to roll mine with the fork locked, you'll end up going in a circle.

This web page has some info on various systems and locks.

May 9, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Ineresting thread. Thanks for the early replies. I'm concerned about theft with my Ariel Atom, which isn't a whole lot heavier (1,350 pounds) than some bikes. Some people are putting tracking systems on them, but to me nothing beats a big, thick chain (assuming you cna find something to lock it to).

May 9, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 14
i have a suzuki gs500f. the xena alarm disk lock looks like a good cheap solution before i save up some money for the scorpio alarm system. does anyone know how the xena works? does it have a pager to disable it or do you have to set it off in order to disable it?

May 9, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 14
oo you got your ariel atom in? do you have any pictures yet? how is it treating you?

May 10, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oo you got your ariel atom in? do you have any pictures yet? how is it treating you?

It's supposed to be ready by the end of this month or early June, so I'm starting to get pretty excited and am doing all sorts of accessorizing (gloves, shoes, goggles, masks, helmets, lockable helmet bags, a waterproof 'stuff' bag, shift light indicator, self cancelling turn signals, car cover, radar detector, laser shifter, after-market carbon fiber headlights, battery charger, camcorder and mount, a GPS system, and probably more). Oh, I'm not too excited!

May 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 14
i use a cheap motorcycle specific U-lock. most chains can be cropped pretty easily and disclocks with alarms are also easy to defeat. The best defense is probably a bike cover with lock, and theft insurance. If someone really wants to get your bike, they will, end of story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose it makes it impossible to roll the bike away, but if you try to roll mine with the fork locked, you'll end up going in a circle.

the ignition lock is just a metal pin, its defeated easily with a hard kick to the handlebars.

May 10, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 14
I used to have a big U lock, but the only place I used it was at home. With a small disk lock, you can shove it in your jacket pocket and use it away from home. I agree with the previous post that insurance and a garage is the best solution. But, since it's a GS500, I wouldn't worry about it tooo much. Just park next to a $30,000 Harley whenever you go out...that'll be the best theft deterrent. :p

May 11, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Never tried alarms. Friends who've tried mostly had difficulty with the alarms killing the battery. Not sure how the newer ones fare. Anyway, if your bike is in the middle of being stolen (usually by 2-4 well muscled criminals) would you want to run out and confront them?

Had my first bike stolen. It had just a disc lock. Taken from outside an apartment complex while I was sleeping.

My theft protection now is locking it up in my friend's garage. Covered and with heaps of junk on top. Obviously not a daily user.

When travelling, the idea is first idea is camoflage. An old cover nicely covers up my bike and keeps the rain off. Second is a thick chain wrapped around something immovable and a big disk lock to attach the chain to the bike. For jackets, helmets, and other accessories, I use one of those alarmed retractable thin metal cable combination lock thingys. Hard sided luggage have locks built in and I take the tank bag with me.

May 11, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 14
I use a Xena disc lock with inbuilt alarm as a physical deterent (also, if I forget to remove the disc lock, the siren goes off when I straighten the handlebars, reminding me to remove it in a not so friendly way!). My bike comes standard with an immobiliser and chipped key (K7 GSXR) to stop people starting it. On top of that I keep it in a secure garage whenever I can. Finally, I have comprehensive motorcycle insurance... worst-case scenario: someone nicks my bike and I get a new one!

May 11, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ineresting thread. Thanks for the early replies. I'm concerned about theft with my Ariel Atom, which isn't a whole lot heavier (1,350 pounds) than some bikes. Some people are putting tracking systems on them, but to me nothing beats a big, thick chain (assuming you cna find something to lock it to).

you are fortunate in having a very unique car that is instantly recognizable and having a waiting list. I doubt anyone would steal your atom to resell because it would be easy to track. You should probably be more concerned about people stealing it for a joy ride, in which case a visible lock would be good deterrant, so would a removeable steering wheel that you take with you when the car is parked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back