Moto X... best built in audio amplifier phone?
Dec 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #31 of 68
So I'm stuck on verizon doing off contract upgrades (unlimited data!) so I picked up a Moto X developer edition during the sale. I'm pretty new to all of this but I know how I like my music to sound, and the way I like to describe it is fat. I'm pretty into EDM so I like a nice tight and snappy bass but it absolutely cannot over power the mids and trebles, so really it's just fat. However I also love classical music so I do appreciate a good response spectrum in general. But the bass on the moto X  has got me worried.

My friend gave me a Fiio E18, he works for Bose so he was doing some testing with it (please don't shoot me for saying Bose) so would that help with the sound quality? I'm using SE215s at the moment. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #32 of 68
The SE215 has a nice punch below 100 hz, which is where the Moto X starts to drop off, so hopefully that will make up for some of it. The FiiO should fix the problem altogether, though, assuming you can the DAC section to work with USB OTG.

It's a sweet little phone, enjoy :)

Quote:
  So I'm stuck on verizon doing off contract upgrades (unlimited data!) so I picked up a Moto X developer edition during the sale. I'm pretty new to all of this but I know how I like my music to sound, and the way I like to describe it is fat. I'm pretty into EDM so I like a nice tight and snappy bass but it absolutely cannot over power the mids and trebles, so really it's just fat. However I also love classical music so I do appreciate a good response spectrum in general. But the bass on the moto X  has got me worried.

My friend gave me a Fiio E18, he works for Bose so he was doing some testing with it (please don't shoot me for saying Bose) so would that help with the sound quality? I'm using SE215s at the moment. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #33 of 68
Awesome thanks for that. The other thing I've noticed is that there is some interference when I use the E18 with my galaxy s3 so that has me a bit concerned for the moto x. Hopefully it's a non issue though.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #34 of 68
Fingers crossed for ya :) If not, honestly, the Moto X is still a very reasonable portable source. It's not going to impress bassheads, but in the grand scheme of things its really not bad at all. I'd take it over my old iPod nano any day as a daily source.

Quote:
  Awesome thanks for that. The other thing I've noticed is that there is some interference when I use the E18 with my galaxy s3 so that has me a bit concerned for the moto x. Hopefully it's a non issue though.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #36 of 68
So I've been using my moto x for a few days now, and the ergonomics are quite good. A bit smaller than my previous S3 so typing with two hands takes a bit of getting used to but other than that the phone feels great. If anybody else got the developer edition or the woven white back in general, be aware it scuffs quite easily so be sure you have a case.

As for the sound, big big disappointment. I have to use it with the Fiio, which does have some interference, but surprisingly not when they are directly on top of each other so that hasn't been an issue. Thanks for all the help guys, it's been super helpful.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #37 of 68
That's unfortunate, I'm sorry you're not happy with the sound. I was pretty underwhelmed by the bass performance too; I still think it's reasonably good in the scheme of Android phones, though, but everyone's ears are different.

At least you have the E18!

Quote:
  So I've been using my moto x for a few days now, and the ergonomics are quite good. A bit smaller than my previous S3 so typing with two hands takes a bit of getting used to but other than that the phone feels great. If anybody else got the developer edition or the woven white back in general, be aware it scuffs quite easily so be sure you have a case.

As for the sound, big big disappointment. I have to use it with the Fiio, which does have some interference, but surprisingly not when they are directly on top of each other so that hasn't been an issue. Thanks for all the help guys, it's been super helpful.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #38 of 68
I am planning to switch to MotoX from HTC One and my biggest worry is audio quality. HTC ONE is known for having a 2.5Volt amp which is more powerful compared to Moto X. The only issues is the suppression which kicks in from turning off Beats audio. Check out Marques Brownlee video on Beats audio explained. He explains how due to Beats audio profiling there are suppressions in sounds when beats audio is turned off. So far after my tests i can tell that iphones have the best audio quality and none of android phones compared to that expect htc one minus beats audio. 

P.S. I mean audio quality via headphones only

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #40 of 68
Have to disagree...my N4 with Franco Kernel beats the iPhone 4/s (the best sounding iPhones) in bass extension and overall presence across the spectrum; the iPhone only has the edge in treble detail IME. It sounds more spacious sometimes, I will admit, but I found the N4-FK combo better overall, personally.

Can't wait for RC/stable CM11 and audio improvements from Franco Kernel for N5, audio is better out of the box than the N4 was so I've got high hopes for what it can do with some tweaking.

Quote:
  I am planning to switch to MotoX from HTC One and my biggest worry is audio quality. HTC ONE is known for having a 2.5Volt amp which is more powerful compared to Moto X. The only issues is the suppression which kicks in from turning off Beats audio. Check out Marques Brownlee video on Beats audio explained. He explains how due to Beats audio profiling there are suppressions in sounds when beats audio is turned off. So far after my tests i can tell that iphones have the best audio quality and none of android phones compared to that expect htc one minus beats audio. 

P.S. I mean audio quality via headphones only

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #41 of 68
vivo xplay should have the best built in amp - OPA2604 from texas instruments
inside that phone theres also an CS4398 and CS8422

however the upcoming xplay 3s which has just been released today have the same amp chip but a better DAC - ES9018
this is also the first phone to collaborate with dts to support dts headphone X, up to 11.1 surround sound...
from what they say in the press, it can drive up to 1300 ohm... not sure if legit or not

but still this has got to be the best sounding phones available.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #43 of 68
I'm kinda having a laugh at the descriptions of the Moto X having weak bass.  Not that I'd argue the case.  It's just that I'm currently using the Shure SE846s with it.  These 'phones, to me (a long time Ety guy), are bass monsters.  Too much bass for me and not enough top end when not equalized.  I've got the balanced filters in the 'phones, no external amp hooked up, and have set the freakin' eq to brilliant treble.  Yeah, still warm and punchy.  This setup seems to go against all reason and convention, but oh my goodness does it work well.  The bass is wonderful.  Deeeeep, tight, punchy, thumpin', and rumbling all at once somehow.  Never heard anything like it.  I'm honestly dumfounded as to why this combination of gear and settings works so well.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #44 of 68
I have no problems with bass on my moto x dev edition. Maybe its because I'm using JVC FX850 IEM with it. These things has tons of killer bass and I just added an RSA predator DAC/amp and I the bass is just about perfect.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back