Motherboard's digital S/PDIF output ok?
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
What is the general consensus (if any) on using the motherboard's S/PDIF digital outputs to feed a DAC and amp, as opposed to a soundcard's digital outputs?

(I've read that USB is inferior to digital outputs with respect to connecting to a DAC, so I am not considering that here.)

I have a new Asus P6T motherboard with Realtek ALC1200 chipset. I listen to mostly FLAC. I also have about $500 to spend on the source, which gives me two options with respect to a DAC:

1. Use the motherboard's digital outputs and buy a nice $500 DAC.
2. Buy a $200 sound card and a $300 DAC like the DAC Magic (or some numerical combination adding up to $500).

I don't have an amp at the moment, but I'm planning to get something decent immediately afterwards. I figure the source is more important than the amp. I also plan to upgrade my Senn 595 to the 650 in the summer.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the general consensus (if any) on using the motherboard's S/PDIF digital outputs to feed a DAC and amp, as opposed to a soundcard's digital outputs?

(I've read that USB is inferior to digital outputs with respect to connecting to a DAC, so I am not considering that here.)

I have a new Asus P6T motherboard with Realtek ALC1200 chipset. I listen to mostly FLAC. I also have about $500 to spend on the source, which gives me two options with respect to a DAC:

1. Use the motherboard's digital outputs and buy a nice $500 DAC.
2. Buy a $200 sound card and a $300 DAC like the DAC Magic (or some numerical combination adding up to $500).<~~Waste of money!

I don't have an amp at the moment, but I'm planning to get something decent immediately afterwards. I figure the source is more important than the amp. I also plan to upgrade my Senn 595 to the 650 in the summer.

For me I would take a 500 dollar source over a 300 dollar source any day, makes no difference what you use for a transport. I use optical and USB out of my notebook (I still cant believe how good it sounds) and they both sound amazing, they are slightly different but I never spent enough time to tell you exactly what the difference is. Definitely get the better dac. optical is a good way to isolate your dac from the power system in your computer.
smile.gif

A better analog section in your dac is soooooooooo much more important then dropping the occasional 1 or 0.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A better analog section in your dac is soooooooooo much more important then dropping the occasional 1 or 0.

Hear ye, here ye.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 23
In before the "jitter bugs" start posting
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez

x3, the money is better spent on a dac than a transport.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

For me I would take a 500 dollar source over a 300 dollar source any day, makes no difference what you use for a transport.

It can't be as simplistic as that, right? Certainly there must be $300 DACs that are better than $500 DACs.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You've read wrong. When properly implemented, USB can be a high-end transport. Just look at Wavelength Audio.

In addition to investigating soundcards, maybe give USB-SPDIF converters a look. Still seems like the 0404 might be the best deal. I agree with the others, focus on the DAC first, especially at this price level.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 23
Why is everyone trying to get him to buy a new sound card when he has one in his computer already?
rolleyes.gif
How bout you buy the dac first and see where your at. This way you can buy a sound card later and when you discover it adds no improvement then you can return it. People love to waste money on the dumbest things. Spend the audio card money on some decent cables. "Buy a converter to convert your USB into SPDIF, instead of using the SPDIF built into the computer"??????????????? What.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 23
The reason I recommend the EMU0404PCI is because it offers a bit-perfect transformer-coupled coax S/PDIF signal that's second to none as far as S/PDIF goes.
wink.gif

At the $500 budget, I won't recommend some fancy transport, but considering I've tested a few sound cards and found this to be the best value, I easily recommend it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

"Buy a converter to convert your USB into SPDIF, instead of using the SPDIF built into the computer"??????????????? What.

Yeah, it was probably a dumb thought at this level, but it's legitimate when you get to higher level DACs that don't have USB input. A lot higher quality output than crappy integrated mobo afterthought stuff.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 23
I know, lots of people seem to gravitate to USB when they are using a computer and I just cant figure out why. I guess they seem to feel it will be easier to set up. Your right though, an adapter with a used high end dac would be better then a newer unit with usb.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Why is everyone trying to get him to buy a new sound card when he has one in his computer already?
rolleyes.gif
How bout you buy the dac first and see where your at. This way you can buy a sound card later and when you discover it adds no improvement then you can return it. People love to waste money on the dumbest things. Spend the audio card money on some decent cables. "Buy a converter to convert your USB into SPDIF, instead of using the SPDIF built into the computer"??????????????? What.

I wholeheartedly agree, if he finds the onboard output to be inadequate, it's easier to look into a transport down the road, and get as good a DAC as he can now rather than get a $300 one, and then find out it's not quite what he's looking for... you see where I'm going with this.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 23
I've compared my motherboard's coax digital output to my AV-710 sound card's optical output and heard no difference swapping quickly back and forth on the same DAC (just have to push the button on the DAC to swap).

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 23
I've been wondering about this since I've (pretty much) made a firm decision to upgrade to a Stello DA100S within the next couple months. I still get the occasional pops through my spdif->ZeroDAC while bypassing the kernel mixer, and I don't know if I'm missing something in this whole scheme. I'm far from being an expert on what actually goes on in the transport of a digital signal, and even further from being an expert on what's going on in a DAC with the inclusion of transfer to the analog stage. I read about it here and there, but work and other obligations interfere with my attempted self-education on the subject. Also I've been procrastinating on my CEs (continuing education credits for my imaging licenses for work), so I've got to get on that shiz. Anyway, if I spend $900 on a DAC and still hear these imperfections every now and then it's really going to bother me!

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wondering about this since I've (pretty much) made a firm decision to upgrade to a Stello DA100S within the next couple months. I still get the occasional pops through my spdif->ZeroDAC while bypassing the kernel mixer, and I don't know if I'm missing something in this whole scheme. I'm far from being an expert on what actually goes on in the transport of a digital signal, and even further from being an expert on what's going on in a DAC with the inclusion of transfer to the analog stage. I read about it here and there, but work and other obligations interfere with my attempted self-education on the subject. Also I've been procrastinating on my CEs (continuing education credits for my imaging licenses for work), so I've got to get on that shiz. Anyway, if I spend $900 on a DAC and still hear these imperfections every now and then it's really going to bother me!

You will wet your pants when you hear how nice the Stello DA100 Signature sounds. If you buy it from HotRod Audio Mods you can save a bundle on shipping. The guy is an authorized Stello dealer and he keeps the DA100 S in stock and I believe his price including shipping is the same as Stello before shipping. Got mine from him and its been great. Hot Rod Audio » Stello DA 100 Signature

BTW, I have no clicks and pops. Ive had mine for about 8 months now and Im still excited like a kid with a new toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back