Moth Audio - Appreciation For A Classic
Mar 19, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #46 of 56
Gentlemen , please allow me to give you a small preview of what I am up to, or rather, what I am being allowed to do finally. I've had the wood and dimensions for 6 months. It's just taken time to find the right person. I know nothing worthwhile is easy, I'm just glad I'm finally being able to progress.

IMG00781a1.jpg

I had 2 wood guys drop out along the way. This guy's actually a frame guy, old friend. He's also into audio. But even with that I had to push him to make the first cut. These wood guys get crazy about this ribbon surface, I just thought it could be more. He seems to like it now. )

I wish I could build one of these for everyone here. We took it to the big shop on tuesday to get planed, then I found a cabinet shop that could do a good crosscut on the ends. It looked good, and I didn't lose too much depth or length. 3.025" !

I guess he's done the finish and we pick up tomorrow. It's for the Zana.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is it balanced?

If the entire amp is SE then the output transformers have a secondary with a center tap which creates a dual differential signal from a single ended source. The same deal as in Stax transformer boxes and a lot of Pro audio gear.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #50 of 56
Send Craig an email and ask. He's great with communication. I'm not interested in this amp since I already have the regular ZD and I like that the regular ZD can serve as a preamp while the ZDT doesn't. Also the ZDT will only drive VERY efficient speakers.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send Craig an email and ask. He's great with communication. I'm not interested in this amp since I already have the regular ZD and I like that the regular ZD can serve as a preamp while the ZDT doesn't. Also the ZDT will only drive VERY efficient speakers.

ZDT can still serve as a preamp without an actual preamp out - you just have to use the 1/4 output on the front along with the proper adapter/s for feeding the power amp/s.

Craig is wonderful with communication, I've been surprised by his response time seeing how busy he is and will be in the coming months.

Had no idea the ZDT was going to have some of the features that it does (at least speaker posts), so I'm giving it very serious consideration...

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZDT can still serve as a preamp without an actual preamp out - you just have to use the 1/4 output on the front along with the proper adapter/s for feeding the power amp/s.

Craig is wonderful with communication, I've been surprised by his response time seeing how busy he is and will be in the coming months.

Had no idea the ZDT was going to have some of the features that it does (at least speaker posts), so I'm giving it very serious consideration...

Though that could work, it would not be ideal. For one, it might be too powerful and provide too much gain and noise as a preamp. Preamps typically are lower gain, lower power output so they do not overload the power amp, while offering multiple inputs; the preamp should essentially just be an effective buffer between source and power amp. I remember reading someone wanting to use a B22 as a preamp, which can output up to 50 watts, kind of a similar idea.

The ZD is still a very excellent viable option for those that need a high quality headphone amp that can also operate as a near ideal preamp/buffer. The ZD is an OTL topology which many prefer over the transformer coupled topology. Though its not quite clear, the ZD does have the damper diodes for rectification whereas the ZDT may be purely solid state rectification (I am not sure, would want to double check with Craig).

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #53 of 56
Craig is fast with inquiries to him!!! I just got an email in which he states that the ZDT is very quiet...so much so that one can use banana plug-to RCA cables from the speaker outs and thus used as a preamp. interesting info...Not much power on the speakers out but should run a Stax transformer very well...and I have a 90 dB speaker in the bedroom.
I'm in on this one, deposit sent
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Craig is fast with inquiries to him!!! I just got an email in which he states that the ZDT is very quiet...so much so that one can use banana plug-to RCA cables from the speaker outs and thus used as a preamp. interesting info...Not much power on the speakers out but should run a Stax transformer very well...and I have a 90 dB speaker in the bedroom.
I'm in on this one, deposit sent
bigsmile_face.gif

Having several inexpensive 5 - 12 watt speaker amps here, I have found that 8-12 watts is enough power to drive an O2 Mk1 with transformer, and I've never had to max out my 5 watt amp for the K1000. I am currently using a 5-watt Travagans Red to drive my K1000, and an 8.5 watt Qinpu A-3 to drive my Stax SRD-7 Pro transformer, and a 12 watt Nuforce Icon to drive my SRD-7 Mk2 SB transformer. All admittedly low-end but nice sounding mini-amps for the price.

By June I will be driving them with my new ZDT (ordered yesterday). So, all five pre-order ZDT are sold out now. Sorry guys.

The ZDT speaker outputs were more important to me than balanced input or pre-amp out, and with transformer coupled balanced drive it should still sound pretty darn good without balanced inputs. With the ZDT in my bedroom rig it could replace 3 amps with one, and drive my 4-pin XLR headphones and SE phones plus my K1000 and Stax transformers. Then I can have the Woo GES and Woo WA6 together in my other rig for running dynamic and electrostatics as well. I could even sell of the rest to pay for the ZDT and HD800. (except for the stuff I am about to trade for another O2 Mk1)

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #56 of 56
Congrats Larry and Tako (and the other 3 lucky dudes), should be a wonderful amp.

I think I've figured out exactly what modifications I'm going to make to my Moth, just a matter of time and cash to have it all realized
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back