Moth Audio 2A3
Dec 25, 2007 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zoomjohn

100+ Head-Fier
So today I was at my cousin's house and I had a chance to listen to the famed Moth Audio 2A3 amp. Listened to most of the stuff using my HD650. Since I'm not a very experienced audiophile, I can only say that I was thoroughly impressed. Since it's out of production, I'm wondering is there something in production that is on the same level in terms of clarity and musicality combined? I read about Zana Deux on 6 moons audio review, but what do you other folks think? How about something cheaper like a Darkvoice 337?

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So today I was at my cousin's house and I had a chance to listen to the famed Moth Audio 2A3 amp. Listened to most of the stuff using my HD650. Since I'm not a very experienced audiophile, I can only say that I was thoroughly impressed. Since it's out of production, I'm wondering is there something in production that is on the same level in terms of clarity and musicality combined? I read about Zana Deux on 6 moons audio review, but what do you other folks think? How about something cheaper like a Darkvoice 337?

the Zana and the 2a3 really have different sounds the Zana is OTL and the 2a3 is transformer coupled output. I really liked both I owned the 2a3 and a good friend owned the Zana. The zana makes a great preamp while the 2a3 can power extremely efficient speakers like klipsch or fostex driver speakers like the Cain and Cain Abbeys.
I would go for the Zana as it is available and tubes for it are alot cheaper than the 2a3. Give Craig from Eddie Current a call he is really honest and will steer you straight.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Too bad the Moth amps are nearly impossible to get. One listed on Audiogon about a month ago and I put in an offer something like 8 minutes after listing. Didn't get it.

So I put a deposit on a Zana Deux. Yeah, they are different, but Craig makes some of the best amps out there. If you want something in the same vein, I think the Zana is the only thing out there. As far as I know, there isn't a 2A3 headphone amp on the market. If I'm wrong about that, I sure hope someone jumps in and lets up know. But I think the only way to get a 2A3 amp today is to build one yourself.

Oh, and Craig at Eddie Current is terrific. Nice guy, very knowledgeable and will answer all your questions. My Zana should be done in a few weeks and I'm planning to head out there to pick it up.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 8
2A3's are nice. Too bad they are getting expensive. I have some nice RCA 2A3 black plates in storage that I may use some day. I haven't ever had a 2A3 amp but thought they would be nice to have around.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I second jp's comments. If you want a headphone amp, the ZD is the way to go. If you are looking for a headphone and amp for efficient speakers go with a Woo Audio WA5 before the Moth 2A3 but there is a big difference in price. If the extra money is an issue than the Moth would be the way to go, if you can find one. It's a cool looking amp and sound very good as well.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 8
I have never had the opportunity to listen to any Moth Audio kit but I've long thought the company's old logo was one of the nicest in the business.

Anyone got a nice pic?

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Moth 2a3 proto made for CES/Stereophile review

DSCN0350.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

Eddie Current HD2
IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back