Most wildly inaccurate bass response under $50? (IEMs)
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 21
That's because they are not getting a good seal on the M6. It should be IEM 101 or kindergarden that with a bad seal, no matter how bassy the IEM, the bass will run out and the IEM will sound overly bright. This is why the manufacturer includes several tips, single flanges, double flanges and triple flanges, so that folks may achieve proper seal no matter what ear shape.

Quote:
Go for the V-Moda Vibes, great Bass, good mids and treble. Over 400+ positive reviews on Amazon. These are my old stand-bys when I am not listening to my Monster Turbines. In the $25.00 price range, they absolutely smash anything else in this category.

I found the M6 to be far to sibilant and lacked any type of Bass, but some people have had some sucess with these. I would check
the forums here though, there is even a current post describing the harsh treble and lack of bass, so I would not take a chance
on them for now.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 21
Also the MEElec M9 has very deep and impactful bass, with a nice metal body, all for around $25.

I a couple of weeks, you will come to appreciate notes above the 100hz range!!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
The MEElectronics M6 are bass monsters and can be bought for $20 

They really do push a lot of air.. They have great impact for sure.  They make me want to try the Hippo Vb's

Quote:
Go for the V-Moda Vibes, great Bass, good mids and treble. Over 400+ positive reviews on Amazon. These are my old stand-bys when I am not listening to my Monster Turbines. In the $25.00 price range, they absolutely smash anything else in this category.

I found the M6 to be far to sibilant and lacked any type of Bass, but some people have had some sucess with these. I would check
the forums here though, there is even a current post describing the harsh treble and lack of bass, so I would not take a chance
on them for now.  

They are bright, but I don't find them sibilant and they kick pretty hard.  I can only think that they didn't seal in your ear.  It's a shame, for the money they are "fun" little pounders.. Perfect?? Hardly.. Balanced??  No way..  Bright??  Yes sir..  Sibilant?? Maybe, but no worse than the HJE900's for me, if the seal is good.  Tips and fit can make or break an IEM.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #19 of 21
Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been rather busy lately.  On joker's recommendation, I went with the TDK EB900.  These have the exact sound signature I was looking for.

Although my current setup would probably make him puke, I couldn't be more pleased.  These are definitely for the extreme basshead at a price that won't break the bank.  Instead of investing in a $100 pair of ear destroying IEMs, I recommend this.  Get a cheaper set like these, and spend the extra money on an amplifier!  I've come to realize that with the iPod, there is only so much you can do to maximize the bass response.  After a point, you basically reach the limit of that the tiny amplifier in the iPod can do, and even the most bassiest IEMs will not have that extra punch.  And don't even bother with the Bass Boost EQ setting...it should be renamed Distortion Boost.

I recommend the cMoyBB specifically for the awesome BB feature.  I had Mr. Seaber customize mine with an extra emphasis on the low end (try a gain of 21dB at 10 Hz :D) and this thing rocks.  It greatly improved the low end of my previous Lenntek Sonix, but these TDK EB900's really make great use of the extra power.  I have tried IEMs where people say it matched that 50 mph cinderblock to the chest feeling from monstrous car subwoofers, but I never could 'hear' what they were feeling.  Maybe my car system was just bigger than theirs, or maybe that's just my e-penis talking, but I finally have reached that level of satisfaction.

Now after all of those compliments, I do have a few concerns; not complaints at this point, just concerns.  The cord on the EB900s is cloth wrapped.  Great right?  The only issue is that it is exceptionally thin, even at the lower portion of the Y.  The majority of the cord is as thin as or even thinner than the cord after the Y split on my Sonix.  The strain reliefs at the buds and the junction points is virtually nonexistant.  Also, the housings are made of plastics.  Not a huge deal as you can't even feel them once they're in your ears, but an accidental slip under the shoe and they're gone.

Bottom line:  if you are a basshead in the fullest extent, try these.  I have tried different sets at various price ranges: the V-Moda Bass Freqs, the Hippo VBs, and the Monster Turbine Pro Golds.  None of these, in my opinion, compare.  Balance and treble?  Well that's a different story...but what kind of basshead would I be if I rambled on about that :p

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #20 of 21
The V-Moda Vibe/Vibe duo is a bass cannon (or rather, a fart cannon) that lacks any detail whatsoever. If bass is your thing, you'll enjoy them. I sure didn't 
etysmile.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 21
Glad you found what you like. My taste has changed somewhat, I thought I was a true Bass-head also, but after spending a little time here on the forums, I have changed my taste somewhat and yearn for accurate, clear, concise BASS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back