Most wildly inaccurate bass response under $50? (IEMs)
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sifka4

New Head-Fier
Looking for an IEM with the largest quantity of bass (including down to the 30Hz region comfortably) and a price tag under $50.  "Sonic accuracy" is the least of my concerns at this point.

Wish list:
-BASS
-Compatible with Comply T-400
-Metal housing
-32 Ohms (no less than 16)
-Not designed to be worn over the ear
-Good isolation and minimal microphonics
-Y cable

These are just some loose guidelines, I am willing to consider deviations.

I am currently using Lenntek Sonix with my iPod and cMoyBB.  I need a replacement because the left side of my Sonix has been becoming quieter and less responsive, and I desire more bass.  These have an okay amount of bass maily due to the cMoyBB, and they sound best with treble boost on the iPod EQ.  I am looking for something with good to great isolation because I do not want to defeat the purpose of the Complys.  I take public transit which gets rather loud.

Dont shy away from low priced options.  The Lennteks were $20 and I am rather impressed with them at that price point.  Just throw things at me :)

Thank you.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 21
The Radius Atomic Bass. not sure if its compatipal with the complys, but fits all of the other specifications.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
The Radius Atonic Bass. not sure if its compatipal with the complys, but fits all of the other specifications.

Have you listened to them recently or the newer v2?  I had a pair about a year ago that I barely got to use because I stupidly dropped them on the subway.  I didnt remember them being anything special, but they didnt even have a chance to burn in.  From what I recall, there isn't too much info on here about them.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
The Radius Atonic Bass. not sure if its compatipal with the complys, but fits all of the other specifications.

Have you listened to them recently or the newer v2?  I had a pair about a year ago that I barely got to use because I stupidly dropped them on the subway.  I didnt remember them being anything special, but they didnt even have a chance to burn in.  From what I recall, there isn't too much info on here about them.

yeah, my turbines recently broke and I had to use mine as a backup portable. I havn't heard the newer version though. IMO they're definitely worth the $40. they do sound better with burn in as they are dynamic IEMs.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 21
Most disproportionate amount of bass? Sony XB40EX. They put the usual bass-monster suspects to shame. CX300, Sonix, PL11s, Skullcandy Titans - they all sound tame next to the XB40EX. Terrible earphones on the whole but definitely fit your requirements.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Most disproportionate amount of bass? Sony XB40EX. They put the usual bass-monster suspects to shame. CX300, Sonix, PL11s, Skullcandy Titans - they all sound tame next to the XB40EX. Terrible earphones on the whole but definitely fit your requirements.

I disagree completely....................I have listened to quite a bit of IEMs, and while these are not the most accurate and do have a big bass hump, I have heard much, much worse.  Ive listened to two pairs of UEs recently and the XBs sound just as good IMHO.  Im even talking about mids/treble.  There really wasnt a big difference in sound quality to my ears............now the bass?  haha

Its all subjective anyhow..............one mans dream is another mans nightmare. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 21
Well I didn't say they were the worst - MetroFis are just as bad but more expensive and I've heard far poorer earphones in the <$10 range. I don't know about the new models but UE kind of sucks with dynamics. But the XB40EX is so bassy and smooth that it inadvertently glosses over a lot of detail. There's whole chunks of background missing on some of my tracks with the XBs. There are other issues too but the lack of detail is pretty striking next to a decent earphone.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Well I didn't say they were the worst - MetroFis are just as bad but more expensive and I've heard far poorer earphones in the <$10 range. I don't know about the new models but UE kind of sucks with dynamics. But the XB40EX is so bassy and smooth that it inadvertently glosses over a lot of detail. There's whole chunks of background missing on some of my tracks with the XBs. There are other issues too but the lack of detail is pretty striking next to a decent earphone.

Well, I listen to a lot of hip/hop, r&b, jazz and dance music..............these headphones reproduce the bass and highs like they were intended in a studio or nightclub.  Many of the other "flat response" IEMs that many like sound just like that FLAT.  Ive never been out and heard flat hip/hop or r&b.  Its cool..........to each his own. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 21
Joker,

I've taken what you said into consideration and greatly respect your advice.  I did some research on the Sony's today and I have a few qualms.  Firstly is the design.  They look like they are begging to be crushed and snapped apart.  Also, I've read quite a bit that says they are rather heavy and fall out of the ears easily...I had this problem with the MTPGs and would like to avoid it if possible.  I have rather small ears overall and feel like they wouldnt be able to hold in these awkwardly shaped IEMs.

With that said, do you (or anyone else) have any other recommendations?  I like the simple design of my Lenntek Sonix, but I want to make sure I am getting an upgrade in the bass quantity department.  If it means going to the oddly designed Sonys, I will try and grab them when I see them on sale.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 21
I know they look strange but the build quality is pretty solid. They are part metal and part plastic and probably on-par with anything else you will find in the price range. As for fitting small ears, there might be issues there. They are pretty heavy and I wouldn't jog in them or anything but the fit is similar to other vertical-driver earphones, which Sony seems bent on making more and more of. 

It's difficult to think of earphones with significantly more bass than the Sonix as the Sonix aren't exactly lean to begin with. The TDK EB900 (EB stands for Enhanced Bass) is a bass-heavy set that comes to mind and the fit on that is much friendlier than the Sonys. I remember being too overwhelmed by bass to enjoy them so they may be what you're after. The XB40EX is smoother though - the EB900 has this sort of grainy garage-band texture to it that reminds me of the Rockford Fosgate Punch Plugs. Not necessarily a bad thing - more of a matter of taste - but just something to be aware of.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 21
I believe the build quality of the XBs are the best thing about them.  The cord is flat and has a nice feel to it.  The IEM is a bit heavier than other IEMs, but Ive had no issues with them falling out.  I place the bud in my ear and gently twist it into place.  Stays put.  I dont jog or workout with them, so I cant give an opinion on that.  I just listen to them as I work at my computer.  As far as the bass being overwheming?  Most personaly audio players have an EQ, I would just back off the bass some.   I hope this helps............and thanks for the great comments IjokerI.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 21
Go for the V-Moda Vibes, great Bass, good mids and treble. Over 400+ positive reviews on Amazon. These are my old stand-bys when I am not listening to my Monster Turbines. In the $25.00 price range, they absolutely smash anything else in this category.

I found the M6 to be far to sibilant and lacked any type of Bass, but some people have had some sucess with these. I would check
the forums here though, there is even a current post describing the harsh treble and lack of bass, so I would not take a chance
on them for now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back