Most Versatile Amps
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Audiotodd

Head-Fier
For years I have only used my headphones in conjunction with my old integrated amp. I have however seen the light and would like to purchase a serious, dedicated headphone amplifier. That said, my headphone selection is limited at the moment to the Shure SE420 in-ear and some assorted mediocre headphones (alla px100) although I have been listening to a bunch of other phones and have every intention of purchasing a good open set of phones (maybe Grado and/or K701) and a less expensive set of closed cans. Because I am going to be expanding my collection I would like to buy an amp that is versatile and can be used with a variety of headphones.

So my parameters... I would like to keep the cost low as I have a couple other upgrades to make, $200-400 shipped would be ideal. Unfortunately, I am not working with a perfect source. Right now I am working almost exclusively with music stored on my computer but only half of it is in FLAC (low on hard drive space, but I intend to change that shortly). The list of my main considerations is as follows...

Heed Canamp
Purity Audio KICAS
Shanling PH1000/PH3000
Little Dot MKIII/MKIV
Darkvoice 336SE
Audiotailor Jade
Meier Corda Swing
Creek OBH21
Audio-GD C2C
Keces DA152
Headamp Gilmore Lite

Unfortunately, I have too many options. Yes, I know I've included both tube and solid state amps, but frankly I can justify either. On the one hand, a tube amp might make the deficiencies in my source less noticeable. However, I am a big fan of the crisp, clear sound that you can only really get with a solid state amp
L3000.gif
Also, please, please note that I am NOT interested in a combination amp/dac. I do intend to upgrade over the next few years and separate amp and dac units would make that easier.

Any suggestions?

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 21
I think you already stated your preference with SS versus Tubes, so it seems your decision list can be narrowed down. If you decide to upgrade and sell later down the road, the Meir and Heed should provide the least amount of dollar loss. Although, for tube, the Darkvoice has very good, warm sound. Get both if you your wallet stretches that far and have fun.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Well in an ideal world and with an ideal source I might prefer SS, but I don't have a perfect source so I fear that a solid state amp will just expose the flaws in my music. And frankly, I don't have enough experience with tube amplification to really say I like or dislike it.

Also is their a consensus as to which of the aforementioned SS amps sounds best?

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Well, as you use your computer as your source...Why not try the Audio-GD Compass? It would fufill the source isssue and the amp is said to be 80% of the C2C. The Compass is also very flexible in that it has three different HDAMs, along with jumper settings. You should look into the many threads regarding it. I have a computer as my source going to the Compass via USB. The Compass is powering my hd650s. It is great.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 21
I considered the Compass but frankly I would like to keep the amp and dac separate so that I can upgrade separately. My intention is to upgrade my amp in a couple of years when I have a more permanent living situation and I would like to do that without necessarily upgrading my dac.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 21
Could someone comment on how the Heed, in particular, performs relative to some of the other SS amps, particularly the C2C, the KICAS and the Meier? Unfortunately, there are just so many options in this category that it is hard to narrow it down, particularly since so many of these models can't be "auditioned" since they aren't sold locally.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp falls in your price range also and it is getting some pretty good reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-431247/

Its interesting you bring that up as I just read Skylab's review on the X-Head and was not particularly impressed. Frankly, Skylab seemed to say point blank that the C2C was infinitely better. Since I am willing to spend the money on a better amp I think that I might as well. Also, I notice you have the Shanling PH1000 so I am curious as to what you think about it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotodd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its interesting you bring that up as I just read Skylab's review on the X-Head and was not particularly impressed. Frankly, Skylab seemed to say point blank that the C2C was infinitely better. Since I am willing to spend the money on a better amp I think that I might as well. Also, I notice you have the Shanling PH1000 so I am curious as to what you think about it.

The shanling(s) is my first amp and I haven't bought anything else to compare with. I have a First Watt F1 otw so its the only thing I will be able to compare with. Its 7x the price of one shanling and regarded as pretty much the best amp for K1000's though.

I use them in a balanced setup with one powering the right channel and the other on the left. They drive my K1000 fine like this. They are powerful little amps. One guy compared it to a C2C. I'll try to dig it up real quick.

Edit: found it http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5601132-post179.html

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 21
I would suggest the C2C because it has balanced inputs. This makes a big difference in quality even if the output is single ended. I haven't heard the C2C but what I just mentioned has been very noticeable on both the Audio-gd Phoenix and the SPL Phonitor, two exceptional amps. So whichever amp you get, this is an important aspect to consider.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 21
Re Pyriel0- Thank you that is actually quite helpful. Do you like the PH1000 with the K701?

Re IPodPJ- Your comment about the C2C's balanced input is duly noted, but I am curious as to the actual science behind it. For one, I don't have any source or dac or anything for that matter with a balanced output. Also, I thought the whole point of balanced systems was that they amplify each channel separately (correct me if I'm wrong). So if I have a balanced input and an unbalanced output, what do I really gain? I don't really no much of balanced systems as I don't own any so please please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any comments on some of these other SS amps?

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotodd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my parameters... I would like to keep the cost low as I have a couple other upgrades to make, $200-400 shipped would be ideal. . . . I am a big fan of the crisp, clear sound that you can only really get with a solid state amp
L3000.gif
Also, please, please note that I am NOT interested in a combination amp/dac. I do intend to upgrade over the next few years and separate amp and dac units would make that easier.

I have a Shanling PH100 being fed by a Diyeden [Musiland] SVDAC06, and I also use computer as source with primarily lossless WAV files. This DAC/amp combo works great with everything I've thrown at it. It's especially effective with the K701. And together they come in at under $400.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 21
The purpose of balanced circuits is to cancel out picked up noise and interference. With unbalanced, noise picked up on the one signal wire will be seen as part of the audio signal. But with balanced, noise will get picked up on both signal wires, and then when you subtract one from the other, it cancels out. (Just like a - b == (a + x) - (b + x).)

Electronics labeled as fully balanced means that not only does it accept balanced inputs and/or have balanced outputs, but the actual circuit inside is balanced as well. Having the internal circuit balanced provides the same benefit described above, but this time from noise picked up inside the unit instead of just noise picked up on your cables.

If you have an unbalanced output signal, there's no point in trying to connect that to a balanced input jack.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by WesMiaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The purpose of balanced circuits is to cancel out picked up noise and interference. With unbalanced, noise picked up on the one signal wire will be seen as part of the audio signal. But with balanced, noise will get picked up on both signal wires, and then when you subtract one from the other, it cancels out. (Just like a - b == (a + x) - (b + x).)

Electronics labeled as fully balanced means that not only does it accept balanced inputs and/or have balanced outputs, but the actual circuit inside is balanced as well. Having the internal circuit balanced provides the same benefit described above, but this time from noise picked up inside the unit instead of just noise picked up on your cables.

If you have an unbalanced output signal, there's no point in trying to connect that to a balanced input jack.

Thank you. I was apparently wrong about the science but correct in thinking that a balanced input without an otherwise balanced system is pretty pointless.

At the moment I think I am leaning towards the Heed or the Gilmore Lite, but I am by no means decided. Any other amps that are similar to these two in terms of sound but less expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back