Most underestimated phones related to price_
Jan 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The radio shack version of the KTXPro1... No one EVER recommends that one. RS had them on sale for $19
Garrett

I read on this forum that it is essentially Koss KSC75, which is in turn a newer version of ksc35. But a bunch of people are recommending ksc75, and ksc35, though discontinured, is praised to the skies.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 68
sorry to be a bit OT... but a friend of mine left to start a new life somewhere else and he left me a pair of philips hp890. I listened to them and i think they sound horrible! Piercing highs! i've tried it with a CMoy and nothing is tamed...
anyways back on topic...
gotta be the portapros!

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 68
Any Koss KSC-35 variant (whichever fits best for you). Senn PX-100. Used older pair of Senn HD650 with stock cord.

Jan 18, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Philips HP1000 is the best kept secret at the moment. It is a no-brainer for it's price ($75-$90). Compete with phones easily double their price, maybe even more.

I'll second the Beyer DT440, very nice phones for the price.

Interesting, I'd never consider Philips for headphones, mainly because they don't get mentioned much as a high end headphone maker. So at $150-$180 (twice it's price), it competes well with the Sennheiser HD-580 and the Grado SR-225 (well that's a little bit more, so maybe the Allesandro MS-1) or other AKG or Beyers in that range ?

I defintely need to check out some reviews of this as I've been looking for some 'beater' headphones to carry around in my backpack.

Jan 18, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The only Grado headphone that deserves to be considered underated is the RS-2. Pretty close to the sound quality of the RS-1 (and look at the specs! VERY similar!) and a much cheaper price.

I second that the RS-2 s are underrated. They get the most time on my head. They are, however, far from cheap.

I would not venture a comparison as their being X % of RS-1, however, since they have different sonic signatures.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #40 of 68
In the first place,
Hello Everyone!
I'm happy to be a member of this friendly and very attractive forum.

My entry, on the topic of this thread, is the stock cabled HD650.

With all the praise of the aftermarket cables' wonders, I think the standard HD650 is being just a tiny bit subdued.
For my ears, the headphone is absolutely great and extremely coherent as it sounds with its factory cabling.

Actually, I was somewhat surprised of a certain "dullness", an unripe sound right "out of the box"; then I realised it only depended on the lack of a properly long burn-in, since after some more hours of playing, well... :-D

I love this headphone with any music I could "throw at them".

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #41 of 68
I don't think anyone here underestimates how good all the KSC-75's, PX-100's, SR-60's, HD555's, 595, or what have you, sound for the price. The point of this thread, as I see it, is not to point out what is the best known headphone that provides the most bang for the buck, but what are some of the less-well-known headphones that also provide good bang for the buck.

I'd say the Stax SR-001 and 005 systems are the champs here. They have THE most beautifully melodic and transparent mids I've ever heard. It's often pretty hard to choose what to listen to, them or the 404's.

What about the Sennheiser/Future Sonics IE3? I've only found out about them recently, and I think it would awesome if someone were to directly compare them to the ER-4's, ER-6's, and E5c's. I'm looking for an isolating, easily driven canalphone, and this seems like an interesting, less-explored alternative.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hisham
I agree with the hp890, great price, good sound. If not because of the size, I would have kept it. How come nobody mention the mdr-V6, the portapros and the Sony eggo?

the V6's, the PortaPros, and the Eggos are three of the most recommended phones on this site. they are in no way underestimated. i would vote vote for the KSC-50's, though. they frequently get passed over in favor of the 35's and 75's, but are great bang for the buck if you cans till find them.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #44 of 68
Well, looks like I'm the first to suggest the Alessandro MS-2s... almost MS-pros to my ears and half the price. I love 'em both....

TonyAAA

Feb 11, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Well, looks like I'm the first to suggest the Alessandro MS-2s... almost MS-pros to my ears and half the price. I love 'em both....

TonyAAA

Glade to hear, since i'm getting a MS-2 soonish and with a recable who knows it might sound even closer. One things for sure, they're drop dead sexy.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back