Most underestimated phones related to price_
Jan 15, 2005 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
The question has been here before. But things change over time. And as question overhyped phones came up so...
I will include in or out of production, otherwise the range would be too small in my taste.

I myself say Grado SR40 without any question. They are in class with the absolute best phones even in higher price class. I think that everyone owing them agrees.

Georg

Jan 15, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 68
Sennheiser PX-100

Jan 15, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 68
Hmm...

I'm tempted to say Philips HP890... they're one of those really awkward 'phones (like the higher end Senns) that need a lot of synergy / system matching to make them sound decent. Not in the upper leagues, but for $50, as long as they're in the right set up (indicated when their bass isn't too bloomy) then they're quite a bargain
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hmm...

I'm tempted to say Philips HP890... they're one of those really awkward 'phones (like the higher end Senns) that need a lot of synergy / system matching to make them sound decent. Not in the upper leagues, but for $50, as long as they're in the right set up (indicated when their bass isn't too bloomy) then they're quite a bargain
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree about Philip Hp890. They sound as good as Grado SR40. But Grado is the most unexpensive one of them.

Georg

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 68
Philips HP1000 (???)

Edited:
Anyway it's difficult. To 'redeem' understimated stuff is a finer and more demanding task than to reappraise the overly acclaimed (also due to a tendency to 'over-hype/totally reject' far more easily than underestimate
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 68
Yup ... perhaps 'the most bashed cans that actually sound good for their price' would be easier. Suddenly 595 popped up in my mind.
icon10.gif

These AKGs (501, 271s) are really getting into love-hate relationships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back