Most transparent preamps?
Jul 27, 2008 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
This acrossed my mind just now. Since many of us have multiple sources, not only digital ones, how do you cope with the preamps? Let's say we had two digital sources and a turntable, and a speaker- and a headamp. So there's a certain need for a preamplifier. If we consider the DAC having two inputs so it can handle both digital sources, we'd need preamp with two inputs and two outputs, at minimum.

The situation described above is not a real one, but I want to know what are the best preamps with multiple inputs, multiple outputs and balanced structure. Both SS and tube amps are "helpful" here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found one good looking option, a Densen B-250 and its little brother B-200. Four line inputs, two tape inputs, four outputs, dual mono. Too bad it's SE. But you get the idea.

Edit: this Marantz SC-7S2 seems to have it all. With a price tag of €9000 it certainly should be high end.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 44
I use a Krell KAV-250, which is HIGHLY transparent. It was discontinued years ago, but comes up on the use market with some frequency and is a real bargain used. Has single ended and balanced ins and outs.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 44
I used to have a Mark Levinson No.380S. I thought it to be very transparent back when I had it in the late 90's. The unit retailed for about $6500 in 1998-99ish. I see them on Audiogon now and then for about $1500

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 44
i doubt too many people have much experience with upper tier preamps around here, you're better off asking in audioasylum. three pre's that i've had a chance to hear that were brilliantly transparent (in order of preference) were krell kct (jaw dropping), sonic frontiers line 3 (yummy), and sim audio moon p-5 (clean cut). there are plenty of others as well...

i haven't heard a single marantz unit of any type that had me thinking that it was anything hi-fi... much like mcintosh and other brands that charge a whole lot but isn't actually that great. don't let cost be a prerequisite in anything because high end stuff usually does cost a bit but it doesn't tell you anything else about what its capable of.

for clarification: if you run a headphone amp from the pre, you don't need a second line stage out because headphone amps are basically miniature integrateds meaning there's a pre section built into it. what you need is a tape or loop out.

running balanced is your prerogative but i think it's a totally overrated and even slimmer return for your investment. not as wasteful as cables, but up there. you might get a lower noisefloor and slightly better bass, but that doesn't justify spending a fortune in my book. the pre's that i've mentioned are balanced, i'm just trying to say it's not completely necessary to run it that way.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 44
First question: do you really mean transparent or do you want best sounding? To me transparent means that you can listen to your CDP through your headphones directly and then listen to that same CDP through your preamp direclty and not be able to hear any difference. Of course this requires transparent (not necessarily the brand) cables.

This being said, if one is looking for few excellent preamps in the high-end but at reasonable price points (of course that is subjective in itself), then my top ones would be:

Aesthetix Calypso with upgraded NOS tubes
Jeff Rowland Capri
Ayre K5XE (I think it is K)
ARC LS 17 (the baby Ref. 3) or Ref. 2 (but even used, this price is getting up there)

All of these are great pre-amps (2 SS and 2 Tubed), all of which impart little to the musical sound, but what they do impart is positive (to my ears).

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 44
If seeking for "absolute transparence" I'd say that a passive preamp is the way to go if you have the right source and amp. Not having the ideal conditions for it, then the Placette Active Linestage is to my knowledge the most transparent of such devices. In fact I'm considering to purchase one, but having it made completely balanced is rather expensive: Placette Audio It has a very capable headphones output too, which makes it even more interesting.

Rgrds

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i doubt too many people have much experience with upper tier preamps around here, you're better off asking in audioasylum. (i

Yeah, we're all such plebs here.
wink.gif
atsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 44
I haven't been able to justify going balanced yet. There are advantages, but they're expensive and balanced phono stages can be tricky. Moreover, I've gotten such excellent performance with single-ended gear that I don't want to change much and get rid of single-ended gear I love.

As for preamps, I've enjoyed the Transcendent Grounded Grid and Electra-Print Ultrapath. Both are DIY, but they sound great. Commercially, the Eddie Current Zana Deux makes a fine preamp. I also have a Conrad-Johnson PV-2 which isn't terribly neutral, but I love it anyway.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that were brilliantly transparent (in order of preference) were krell kct (jaw dropping), sonic frontiers line 3 (yummy), and sim audio moon p-5 (clean cut). there are plenty of others as well...

Krell KCT is a nice, transparent pre, but the problem is the price, even in used market. The older Krell pre's such as KRC, KRC2,3 are very transparent as well but at much cheaper prices.

Audiophiles who keep insisting their system sounds much better with an active pre compared to direct or passive usually have systems that actually *need* an active pre due to the usual factors like sources with high output impedance and/or weak output stage, amps with low input impedance and/or low input sensitivity, usually combined with thick boutique cables with way-too-long lengths or high capacitance, and nominally sensitive speakers that usually have complex, power-draining passive crosovers with impedance curve that looks like an amusement park ride.

If you've sensibly avoided all that, nothing passive or active can touch the straight-through non-sound of something like EVS ultimate attenuators. I preferred these to even silver transformer TVC's for sheer transparency.
ultimev2.jpg

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 44
Cool Torpedo is right, the Placette's passive may be in fact one of the most transparent but is limited (as he suggests to systmer capabilities). The active version, while also transparent is quite good as well from what I understand - but having only heard it once and outside of my system, I could not have included that due to experience. But a good recommendation none the less.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #13 of 44
On a budget? Then this qualifies:

Welborne Labs Remote Controlled Attenuator

It matches the performance of the much more expensive passive units that were previously listed.

That being said, No passive unit compares to a truly world class active preamp. I own the Welborne Labs piece and for the money nothing touches it. Still the Chord CPA-5000 destroys it, as well it should for 50x + the money.

FYI - My advise is to pay for Welborne to assemble the unit. The kit is very difficult, for advabced DIYers only.

Welborne Labs Volume Control
remoteoption3.jpg

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old (+/-20 years old) Adcom GFP-555 which I find to be very neutral. Any of you has any experience with this unit?

Sure I have vast experience with it. I sold literally hundreds of them. For the money it was a decent preamp, but I'd put it more in the upper Mid-Fi category, or at best entry level High-End. The Adcom preamp that still stands up well against current technology is the GFP-750, which is why the GFP-750 still command such high resale prices.

Stereophile: Adcom GFP-750 preamplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back