Most "Tonally Balanced" (Like the HD600) Closed Back Headphones?
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 36
I'm sure I'll get skewered for saying this, but the DT 1770s strike me as feeling like a pair of closed 600s. The tonality is reminiscent, but the Beyers are slower and not as musical as the 600s (what is, after all?). There is no equivalent, probably, but these have a similar feeling somehow. I should note I have a pair of MMX-300 2nd gen which I hate bitterly and swore never to buy Beyers again but I'm pretty happy with these.

But, and it's a big butt, the separation is very intense on the Beyers, probably because they seal very well. I think if you like the 600s you could try the DT 1770s and you might like them. I recently bought a pair and like them but you need a healthy amp as you do for your Sennheisers. If you have crossfeed of some sort I think they could be a fine listening experience.

edited: I haven't heard them but the new V-Moda 200 might be worth looking into especially if you can try a pair.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 36
I would say the NAD Viso HP50s are probably the most tonally balanced closed headphones I've used

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 36
I’ve searched high and low for the very same and came up with two contenders: the K371 and the first gen Æon Flow. I slightly prefer and own the former. It’s a little crazy when you count in the low cost, but it is truly one of the best closedbacks I’ve ever heard and as close as I ever got to a closedback 600...with a bit of uumph in the low lows.
I also second the Nad Viso HP50 although it’s more like a warmer HD650:wink:

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 36
Never auditioned the K371s, but to me the AKG K550 MKIIs come very close. Some complain about some upper midd/low treble peak, but I don't register this at all.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 36
Mackie MC-350 beats all the other already mentioned headphones by a long shot in tonality. I actually prefer it over the HD600 but thats just me. Its a Studio headphone and Mackies Distribution Network is quite good. I highly recommend atleast demoing it.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 36
Let's see, if I wanted to start a war here, I'd ask if there is a closed phone like the HD-600, and wait for the battles.

I was drinking an ice tea when I read the 1770 suggestion, and a bunch came out of my nose and mouth - then I had to dry my keyboard for 10 minutes.

I don't know the Mackie so I have no opinion on that.

But generally - no. And if you are using a HD-600 on an OTL to compare - then F no. I think Dan Clark's updated E1.1's are about as neutral as it gets for closed and they are still quite colored. Also AKG? Sure, why not Grado while we are at it.... you guys really want me to kill my keyboard I can tell ! :grinning:

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 36
AKG K371, although I find the treble a bit much in the upper-mids. The NAD will sound to soft in terms of dynamics and in general inferior resolution and imaging to K371.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 36
Mackie MC-350 beats all the other already mentioned headphones by a long shot in tonality. I actually prefer it over the HD600 but thats just me. Its a Studio headphone and Mackies Distribution Network is quite good. I highly recommend atleast demoing it.

Huh, are Mackie headphones really that good? Haven't really heard much about them

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 36
You're gonna have varying responses with what you're looking for. You can give Audeze Sine a try - although fit will definitely affect how it sounds to you. Also it is on-ear, but it can be converted to over-ear with a different set of pads and the option of 3D printing the mounts for them (which I did).

I doubt many would agree with me in saying that an Audeze Sine with a few EQ corrections is about as tonally balanced as stock HD600 - and even being better by a small margin overall. One of the problems I find with the HD600 is that when pronouncing the 'SS' region - it's as if singers have toothaches or their mouths are swollen when reaching this region. The Audeze Sine is better in the upper-mids to lower treble region in that sense even without EQ.

I was drinking an ice tea when I read the 1770 suggestion, and a bunch came out of my nose and mouth - then I had to dry my keyboard for 10 minutes.

Also AKG? Sure, why not Grado while we are at it.... you guys really want me to kill my keyboard I can tell
Better to kill your keyboard than to kill your headphones :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 36
The HD 600 is pretty amp-sensitive. I'm surprised you hear stridency in the upper vocals. Maybe try some other amps to see if they improve for you.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #15 of 36
What about V-Moda M200, they are supposed to be very neutral (unlike M100) but is it true?

Not many options to be frank. K371 are good, ATH-M40X to some extent, Pioneer HDJ-X10 are surprisingly neutral. Have read great things about the Mackie from the studio crowd, seems like great value. K550 perhaps.
NDH-20 while having more prominent bass and some dips in higher registers is very smooth (maybe even too smooth) is one of the most neutral for a closed back and responds well to eq's.

Imho all closed backs need some eq to some extent to be truly neutral and some models, like Sony 7506 with it's piercing highs can be made neutral while some will sound strange with correction (Beyer DT770).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back