Most surprising purchase of 2009?
Dec 26, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya - what's with the "Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm." - scary!!!
eek.gif

Just another testosterone-heavy male and very "american" thing...sometimes you guys appear like violent little green men to us folks from old europe.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my latest surprise: bought a Panasonic 65" (V10) plasma last week. Great Christmas present for myself.
biggrin.gif

Funny.
tongue.gif

My audio-related surprise was I thought I was done with headphones, but apparently wasn't because I proceeded to buy more headphones. I'm pretty damn sure I'm done now, though.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny.
tongue.gif

My audio-related surprise was I thought I was done with headphones, but apparently wasn't because I proceeded to buy more headphones. I'm pretty damn sure I'm done now, though.

LOL! Of course on paper it was "for the family"
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #36 of 63
Lets see,
Two things probably,
1) PSaudio DLlll with RAM mod and ultracock upgrade. I didn't expect to get this but it sounded so great at Canjam that I ended up coming back to it after looking at others and actually knowing the sound of this DAC.

2) A high def Sony LCD flatscreen. I watch so little TV that I never thought I would get this, mainly for the wife but I am really enjoying it when I sit down to it.

Got a lot of goodies this year but those two purchases surprised me the most, both that I made them and how much I like them.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #38 of 63
Qualia fit: heard them at CanJam and thought they sounded really bad. Heard a smaller pair at a local meet recently and thought they sounded fantastic.

O2: never thought I'd spend over 1k on a headphone
tongue.gif

Lambdas: I've heard a lot of headphones at various meets, and I was surprised that the Lambdas compete with just about anything and kill most everything. They've gotta be one of the best buys in headphone hifi.

HD800: was surprised to hear how different it sounded with different rigs.

Quad ESL 57: still amazed a midrange can sound that real.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the deal with all the DACs? What happened with the Keces?

I'm always trying to squeeze out as much as I can from my setup. The Fubar III was a mistake because it made me realize how important a good volume pot is. I love the Keces but I feel it's too big for my desk, but I figured out a way to sit up vertically today so I was considering withdrawing my sale thread for it now.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K240 Sextett.
Really enjoyable headphone, especially for the price tag.

X2!!!

I don't know what 'the price' is, but I'm especially pleased with mine, recabled to be dual entry!

However, my #1 surprise would be K140 vented on-ears. These are better than HD25s IMO (and the opinion of the person I traded the 25s for these two phones)!

And now, pics
k701smile.gif

{they were too big, and i don't feel like resizing :/ }

http://imgur.com/NZPj3l

http://imgur.com/e1rPH

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #41 of 63
2 weeks ago i picked up a Stax SRS-2050II system (SR-202 + SRM 252) on ebay for $200. Never heard electrostats before, and the first time I put them on my head they brought a tear to my eyes - they sound pretty nice, but appear underpowered. i think i know what 2010 gonna bring...

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #42 of 63
This year I bought a canon xsi, ue triple fi 10, zune hd, and Shure srh840s. The most surprising purchase would be the zune hd because at launch i wasn't interested in it and i didnt need a new dap. After visiting head-fi during christmas break, I now own ue triple fi 10s, zune hd, and Shure srh840s. Thank you head-fi.org. But I'm not done yet, I plan on ordering a T3 before the year is over.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #44 of 63
HD-800 for sure on the audio side. Still can't believe I'd drop so much on something so ugly, w/o even a preview listen to boot. But still pales to my MSAR STG-556 purchase as a sordid Xmas present to myself. At least I'm ready with tunes and guns blastin' for the End of Days.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado HF-2.....because I never expected the company would make another amazing headphone specifically for the Head-Fi community.

You rock John Grado! Thank you very much.

confused.gif
Its all business, he's not giving you anything for free...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back