Most speaker-like headphone? (NO K1000)
Feb 19, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something very detailed, airy, with an open/expansive soundstage, and a strong bottom end (Need weight behind the music). I don't mind a cold or bright/harsh presentation, but I dislike a dark, soft presentation. I'm looking to spend south of $600 ($600 is the ceiling, so I'd like to spend much less than that if possible). I'm open to all suggestions.

I liked the SR-404s, but they just needed more weight behind the music. The K340s were pleasant, but I needed more detail (They were driven using my receiver's headphone out...so one could argue that they were under-driven, but I could barely discern a difference between my receiver's headphone out and an SFT Audio M3).

Quote:

How are the Jecklin Floats, ERGO 2, etc.? I've always been curious...

The AMT does everything that you want, except that strength in the bottom end you desire, but its way outwith your budget anyway.

The Ergo 2 is definately much closer to what you are after. Its got that dynamic bottom end to it, and that fabulous presentation to the soundstage which the chassis lends itself to. Both the AMT and the Ergo 2 can produce a very-good-for-a-headphone speaker presentation if they are worn slightly forward on the head too.

The Ergo 2 is simply a better headphone than the Float 2. Its more detailed, its got tighter more controlled bass and its more comfortable. If you dislike darkness it may or may not be up your steet. If you take the HD600 with its classically "veiled" midrange to be dark, then it is less dark than that. There is a dryness to the sound which is much like the dryness the KSC75 has over the PX100. The sound parallel also extends to the bass. PX100 bass is warm and cosy, KSC75 bass is punchier. Scale those characteristics up and you have a fairly good comparison with the HD600/Ergo 2. Good extension and control, good slam, but no bloat. If you have heard the HD600, I hope that offers you some insight into their sound. I personally preferred the Ergo 2 immensely over the K340 as well.

My experience with different dynamic headphone amps is limited, but the Ergo 2 has a fantastic match with the Ergo headphone amp. And Im sure that the chaps at Precide had this in mind when they designed the products.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #32 of 38
I'll only add this to Duggeh's comments on the Ergo and its predecessor: a pair of dynamic MB Jecklins might also float your boat. Something like a Quart Phone 85. Coldly analytical, bright but with punch, and naturally a ridiculously broad and precise soundstage. I also just think that the MB Jecklin frame was the most sophisticated of the three float designs. But of course I would say that, being the local MB crank. Here's an old promotional picture of the elusive dual-driver per side PMB85, the QP85's predecessor (they look pretty much the same, though. Note also that they're much smaller and less absurd-looking than the original Floats or the Ergos)

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>The Ergo 2 can produce a very-good-for-a-headphone speaker presentation if they are worn slightly forward on the head too.
<snip>
Its more detailed, its got tighter more controlled bass and its more comfortable. If you dislike darkness it may or may not be up your steet. If you take the HD600 with its classically "veiled" midrange to be dark, then it is less dark than that.
<snip>
Good extension and control, good slam, but no bloat. If you have heard the HD600, I hope that offers you some insight into their sound.
<snip>

I realized my previous post may have seemed a little negative, I was comparing it's soundstage to $8K speakers which was unfair. I'd echo everything Duggeh pointed out. I'd also say that, IMO, the Ergo 2 is substantially better than the 600 in my system, to my ears, etc. The soundstage is the best I've heard from a headphone so far and the soundstage coherency and imaging is better than many lower-end speakers I've heard.

(I did A/B tests when I first got these with all of my headphones and again after burning it in and the Senns haven't been back out of their box, the Grados were re-assigned to the bedroom and the AKGs haven't been off their stand. To my ears, head and shoulders above the rest across the board).

Ant

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

The K340 was just with the receiver; I've never heard it with a dedicated headphone amplifier. I now have the funds for an amp, so if one pops up I may consider getting it with the Darkvoice. I could certainly live with the K340 as it was being driven with my receiver, so I'm considering it. However, I think it may be more fun to try a new headphone (DT990 or an Ultrasone).

You should also consider an M^3. Superpredator has an M^3 with only AD8605 opamps and a Darkvoice336i and prefers the M^3.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i already told you Azure, but you just won't beleive me. sigh...

Why should I listen to such an annoying K701 fanboy troll as yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should also consider an M^3. Superpredator has an M^3 with only AD8605 opamps and a Darkvoice336i and prefers the M^3.

Superpredator PM'd me his impressions of the M^3 and Darkvoice with the K340, and based on his impressions I think I'd prefer the Darkvoice.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #37 of 38
I'm going to give the DT990s a whirl. I'll try them through my receiver for the time being, and if I like them, I'll look into an amp.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #38 of 38
Have you ever looked into the Beyer DT-831/931? (Closed/open, respectively.) I've never heard them myself, but given your tastes and what I've heard about these, I suspect you might like them more than the 990s. They're discontinued, but you could probably find a used pair at a decent price. (Much less than, say, a CD3000)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back