Most robustly built IEM under ~$150 (and good SQ)
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

geremy

100+ Head-Fier
So I have narrowed my choice of IEMs down to IE7s, Phonak Audeo PFEs, and Monster turbines.

I plan to use these for everything, and I run. I run a lot. I currently run with Senn PMX-70s but since getting into head-fi I can no longer tolerate the sound. It is thin and there is no low-end so if I try to listen to electronic music, I miss pretty much the whole bassline and only here the highs.

I know that the IE7s and Turbines will sound great (I am a bit concerned about the Phonaks since I won't be using an amp, but don't want a veiled midrange with the black filters either). I'm sure soundwise I will probably be happy with all 3.

My big worry is the cord and the drivers themselves.

For the cords, I am not worried so much about the connection to the IEMs as the connection to the miniplug. I sweat so much and I wear the MP3 player around my waist so that the miniplug plastic bodies usually seperate (come un-glued) from the plug itself.

As for the drivers, I have rusted the screens on the supposedly water resistant PMX-70s. Those are bud style though, and I am hoping that IEMs will be much less susceptible to drips, since they are actually in my ears.

I'm not sure about the monster turbines staying in my ear during a run...they look pretty heavy comparatively and seem like the most uncomfortable to loop over the ear.

The phonaks seem like the most comfortable, and the way they disassemble makes them the easiest to repair (I can install a new cable myself if necessary). I worry about sweat dripping past the filter though.

The IE7s are really the #1 contender right now for sound quality and robustness issues, but is the vent at the top really open?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 37
My Turbines have been with me all over the country on lots of flights, no issues with build quality or cord problems, and excellent sound. If the IE7 is the leading contender, its other benefit is a replaceable cord, which should help defray any concerns about reliability.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 37
To the KSC75s: no thanks. Clip-on ear things suck. Plus the foam pads would disintegrate after a week. I have no issues with cars.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Turbines have been with me all over the country on lots of flights, no issues with build quality or cord problems, and excellent sound. If the IE7 is the leading contender, its other benefit is a replaceable cord, which should help defray any concerns about reliability.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the IE7 has a replaceable cord, but I may be wrong!

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 37
Well the one i may suggest might be out of your budget at about $220-250 USD but are the pinnacle of robustness

The HJE900 is fully constructed from solid zirconium which is 8 on the moss hardness scale compared to the 10 of diamond. I have tried concrete, knives, sandpaper, even piano wire nothing has been able to even scratch it they still look new. Don't see how you can get more rugged than that
smily_headphones1.gif

There have a high luster shine and very good SQ to boot with detachible cables in all reality the buds will out live you

plus you'll be one of only 4 members to own one and thats including you

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 37
Ok. I'm intrigued but what do the sound like? They are pretty far out of my budget.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 37
Denon AH-C700/751
They have aluminum housing and I even heard a story of someones pair getting ran over by a few cars and still working. I have had my pair for over a year now and I am pretty rough with them.

If you look around here, sometimes you can get a good deal on them used.
Good luck on your search
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A vote for the Turbines in terms of ruggedness, but get a shirt clip to limit cable noise.

Or where it like this:

I always wear IEM's this way no matter what it is thus microphonics is never much of an issue at all and I don't hold much weight to it when consdering one product over another.

Excuse my awesome MS Paint skills.

overtheear.png

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 37
I would not go for the phonaks as for robustness. Some people have had cable problems due to sweat and body oils. They also do not have any reinforcement where the cable connects to the plug, and I am one of the people that got that defect in the plastic.
The turbines are made of solid steel, you can't go wrong there.
My atrios are very sturdy, even though they are plastic. The cable is excellent, it all feels very sturdy.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 37
Hmm. I hadn't heard that. Thanks. TBH I am still thinking about IE7s. But nobody seems to know whether or not the vent is real!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back