Most ridiculous tweak?
Aug 28, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #123 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol...You're saying a longer cable is better? The whole point of a cable is to lose as little signal as possible...A longer cable just makes it easier to lose the signal.

The longer the cable is the less neutral it gets. Like I said, the longer my Valhalla was the more coloration I could hear. It changes the sound to the worse and is just a band-aid for crappy gear and recordings. With stock power cable I hear low-level background noise from the recordings but with Valhalla that low-level detail is gone, Valhalla removes low-level detail which makes it sound cleaner, faster and smoother. When I tried Vishnu there was something in front of the music, but with Valhalla it just sounded transparent and like real life. There are many ways to fine-tune the sound.

I like to use vibration isolation and shielding to make it neutral, and then I add Valhalla coloration to give the illusion of real life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You crack me up. Honestly.

Skeptics spend their time laughing instead of learning, in the future they will know the truth and then it's too late, they could have gotten better sound much earlier.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #125 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very one dimensional view of it.

Conceptualizing with the following exagerated metaphor seems to match the real world experience of it:
If you squirt the same water at a higher velocity vs a trickle the end water is the same but the experience of receiving the water is completely different. An exageration yes, but this does seem to be analagous to the way power supply caps are charged. In addition various power cords also emphasise or deemphasis RFI reception and which is out of simplistic current voltage sphere, but is power cord dependent and definitely affects front ends to varying degrees.

After clinging to simplistic understandings of electricity for many years I pooh-poohed any power cord nonsense. Then after a few trials of different power cord gauge and topology, I realised how unscientific I had been not exploring the real world observable phenomena, because of simplistic scientific flat-earth mentality.

I now know that dealing with every aspect of an audio systems power comprises about 35% of the potential sound quality.

1. Comparing power cords to capacitors is way past apples and oranges. Caps that measure better perform better. Also, some capacitors are notoriously noisy. Neither of these things has to be taken on faith, they are easily measurable.

2. I've never seen a power cord that doesn't follow the exact same topology then your average $5 power cord. It's conductors to connect point A_1..A_3 to B_1...B_3. What exactly are you referring to?

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #126 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The longer the cable is the less neutral it gets. Like I said, the longer my Valhalla was the more coloration I could hear. It changes the sound to the worse and is just a band-aid for crappy gear and recordings. With stock power cable I hear low-level background noise from the recordings but with Valhalla that low-level detail is gone, Valhalla removes low-level detail which makes it sound cleaner, faster and smoother. When I tried Vishnu there was something in front of the music, but with Valhalla it just sounded transparent and like real life. There are many ways to fine-tune the sound.

I like to use vibration isolation and shielding to make it neutral, and then I add Valhalla coloration to give the illusion of real life.

Skeptics spend their time laughing instead of learning, in the future they will know the truth and then it's too late, they could have gotten better sound much earlier.

Patrick, ALL of this REAL technology is built on principles and theories that came about using the scientific method.

It is NOT up to the general public to prove a claim. The burden of proving a claim rests on the person making the claim.

So either prove it, or just stop already. It is tiring reading(and now sadly, watching) your absurd claims and ranting.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #127 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

are custom made with beech wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.
The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!

I don't need to try that knob to know it makes a difference. Different case materials give a different sound, but if you remove all vibrations it doesn't matter anymore. I use Magix levitation feet with books on top of the equipment, it removes as much vibrations as possible.

I tried different materials on top of the chassis and found that a solid material on top gave the biggest coloration. Using multiple objects on top gave a better sound because there was less emphasis of frequencies. Then I realized, that is exactly what Brilliant Pebbles does, it has multiple stones of different shapes, sizes and materials. Brilliant Pebbles has a good performance vs weight ratio. But I found a few kg of books to be the most effective.

Since there are multiple pages inside the books, it might have less resonance problems than something solid made from metal. Books are great for mass damping. Maybe some bags of sand work well too, but it's harder to keep it consistent. Books are consistent and they last a lifetime.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #128 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, ALL of this REAL technology is built on principles and theories that came about using the scientific method.

It is NOT up to the general public to prove a claim. The burden of proving a claim rests on the person making the claim.

So either prove it, or just stop already. It is tiring reading(and now sadly, watching) your absurd claims and ranting.

You are telling all audiophiles in this forum to stop sharing their impressions?

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #129 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Who died and made you Jude?

jeez these '07' freshmen have no patience...

600smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #130 of 162
Quote:

You are telling all audiophiles in this forum to stop sharing their impressions?

Based on your rantings and ravings I wouldn't listen to anything you say either...
plainface.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #131 of 162
Quote:

Quite honestly, if it take $15K cables to get better sound, that's the point where I have to pass.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #132 of 162
Quote:

The longer my Valhalla was the more of the smooth and open coloration I could hear. The difference was HUGE between 50cm, 1m and 2m lengths.

HUGE?

HUGE you say?

You either need to get your hearing checked or learn a new set of adjectives to describe what's around you.

HUGE is the word describe the difference in what you hear when the power switch is on or off on your amp; HUGE is the difference between a noisy, broken tube and a working tube; HUGE is the adjective to use to describe the transformation Optimus Prime from a truck to a robot.

To declare the improvement in SQ of a 1m interconnect/power cord differential as "HUGE" not only border on ridiculous; it jumps over the fence, swims across the river, and elopes with my GF.

There clearly is a well-defined market for snake oils. C'est la vie.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #133 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Step out of the dark ages you year 7 science dogmatists.

I had a response here, but really the argument just keeps going in circles. There is one incredibly important difference between the science behind everything you listed and the science of tweaks. It makes one science, and it makes the other dogma.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #134 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your rantings and ravings I wouldn't listen to anything you say either...
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite honestly, if it take $15K cables to get better sound, that's the point where I have to pass.

If you had read my posts in other threads you would have seen I get better sound for a fraction of the price. I built a system that gives the best sound for as little money as possible. A single Valhalla power cable is enough if you cut it open and use 1 conductor per signal.

I have cut open my Valhalla interconnect to make a direct comparison against my Valkyrja speaker cable, and the Valkyrja was better so I use that in my system instead, it costs 1/30th of the price.

I have removed the daisy chained power conditioners because they were compensating for the lack of bass of the Valhalla interconnect. And since I removed the power conditioners I didn't need extra tweaks for them.

I have removed PS Audio Gain Cell pre-amp and I use the built in pre-amp inside Benchmark DAC1, I have the Valkyrja speaker cable hardwired on both ends, no expensive connectors are needed.

Even plugging everything into the wall sounds acceptable. Power conditioner wasn't needed because it sounded very smooth from Valhalla power cord and Magix levitation feet. Even ERS Paper wasn't needed because it sounded smooth enough. There weren't any dynamics but it still sounded very good.
Vibration isolation was what gave the biggest improvements for me. ERS Paper added dynamics and low-level detail, it isn't expensive at all compared to power conditioning. The problem with power conditioning is that it adds weaknesses.

I have $$$$$ gear sitting in boxes because they make the sound worse, all of them are mutilated and I can't sell them. But I don't care because my audio hobby is complete, it can't get any better, and it's also easier to replace if something breaks. My system went from $50k to below $10k and the improvement in sound quality is the biggest I have ever heard. It was because of the tweaks and knowing what to do with them, but people don't want to listen.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #135 of 162
Quote:

No, I'm telling YOU to quit posting your absurd crap. About how 1m of cable makes a "HUGE" difference. And how you need to use your books on your components to avoid "frequency emphasis".

You also talked about how people don't understand because they haven't tried certain tweaks, then how would you know the knob works if you have not tried it?

You keep talking about skeptics patrick, hell, you even made videos about it now. So how about you show me some evidence, besides your own ears? Anything at all. Something along blind tests, or an oscilloscope test, heck, even try with a multimeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back