Most ridiculous tweak?
Aug 28, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #136 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HUGE?

HUGE you say?

You either need to get your hearing checked or learn a new set of adjectives to describe what's around you.

HUGE is the word describe the difference in what you hear when the power switch is on or off on your amp; HUGE is the difference between a noisy, broken tube and a working tube; HUGE is the adjective to use to describe the transformation Optimus Prime from a truck to a robot.

To declare the improvement in SQ of a 1m interconnect/power cord differential as "HUGE" not only border on ridiculous; it jumps over the fence, swims across the river, and elopes with my GF.

There clearly is a well-defined market for snake oils. C'est la vie.

If I get listening fatigue after 15 minutes from the 50cm power cable, but with the 2m cable I can listen for 12 hours straight. Then that is what I call a HUGE difference.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #137 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I'm telling YOU to quit posting your absurd crap. About how 1m of cable makes a "HUGE" difference. And how you need to use your books on your components to avoid "frequency emphasis".

You also talked about how people don't understand because they haven't tried certain tweaks, then how would you know the knob works if you have not tried it?

You keep talking about skeptics patrick, hell, you even made videos about it now. So how about you show me some evidence, besides your own ears? Anything at all. Something along blind tests, or an oscilloscope test, heck, even try with a multimeter.

I have done a double blind test on video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bMgSYpZac
I asked skeptics if they wanted more but they didn't want any more because they had already made up their minds.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #138 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done a double blind test on video: ...
I asked skeptics if they wanted more but they didn't want any more because they had already made up their minds.

I think they've figured out you're a bit of a flake and your schtick is getting old. That's why they didn't want any more...

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #139 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at power cables this way: That expensive power cable is a purple straw. That $5 radioshack power cable is a blue straw. The water is the power. You put both the straws in the same cup, filled with water.

No matter which straw you drink from, you get the same water.

My water still tastes a bit different using pure copper or a silverplated/pure silver straw.
blink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #140 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite honestly, if it take $15K cables to get better sound, that's the point where I have to pass.

No it doesn't any good cable, better then the 5 dollar one can give you pleasure in music. A more expensive cable "might" give you even more pleasure. On my rig it made quite a differecne, no guarantee it will do at the same level on your rig. The higher level your equipment is, the easier it is to pick up "subtle" changes. It's that simple.

fact is that i heard IC's that sounded really bad on one system, shine on another, so, yes, matching is important.

Pleasure in music isn't measured in money, for some it is since they think money will buy better sound, it does, only to a certain extend.

While i have decent (expensive) cables, do i believe in the ultra high end cables of 16000 and 18.000 euro's. NO.

I think equipment of that price have a higher impact on sound. especially source/amp combo is important and amp/headphone combo.

Cables are a nice finishing touch; some are better then others, but i think nowhere justifying 18.000 euro's.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #141 of 162
I hope to God in 6 months I have everything I need for my system so I don't delude myself into thinking that I need silver power cables and "Brilliant Pebbles" (<LOL).

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #142 of 162
Quote:

HUGE?

HUGE you say?

You either need to get your hearing checked or learn a new set of adjectives to describe what's around you.

HUGE is the word describe the difference in what you hear when the power switch is on or off on your amp; HUGE is the difference between a noisy, broken tube and a working tube; HUGE is the adjective to use to describe the transformation Optimus Prime from a truck to a robot.

To declare the improvement in SQ of a 1m interconnect/power cord differential as "HUGE" not only border on ridiculous; it jumps over the fence, swims across the river, and elopes with my GF.

There clearly is a well-defined market for snake oils. C'est la vie.

I also experimented extensively with IC'S and powercables but i didn't hear a difference between a longer cable and a smaller cable. Remeber that a ratio of 4:1 isn't heard, so for 1 meter of cable at the left side, you can use 4 meters on the right side of your amp. Go any higher and you get differences in damping factor, wich will alter sound, especially frequency range!

This was on a website and done by an engeneer, he measured the values and recommended this ratio for speaker cables.

So 1 meter and 2 meter might just be borderline.

I heard clear differences between pure copper cables, silverplated cables and pure silver cables.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #143 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope to God in 6 months I have everything I need for my system so I don't delude myself into thinking that I need silver power cables and "Brilliant Pebbles" (<LOL).

I would get silver plated cables if i were you and they ain't that expensive either. Also some silver plated IC's start at 20 buck a pair, so it doesn't have to be that expensive, material does matter though.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #144 of 162
Oh, so Patrick, you don't like to listen to music the way it was supposed to? You like the less-"true" (or neutral) sound.

tourmaline, why don't you just get those liquid ceramic cables so you don't need to mess with metal at all? Never mine the connectors on either end.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #145 of 162
Don't suggest liquid cables. Patrick will electrocute himself in the bathtub.

See ya
Steve

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #146 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pros aren't the ones using "reference grade" cables. It takes an amateur to put his money in such a wrong place.

Sorry, but as a musician with lots of studio experience, you're not completely correct. Yes, it's true, most don't, but it's more of a budget issue. This is not a hobby for these people, it's a business, and any successful business is built on cost effectiveness. This is the same reason that most studios use medium quality microphones and medium quality recording machines. Cabling studios with top of the line stuff is just not feasible for someone who might have four bands a week come in to record a $500 demo tape. Neither is buying top of the line microphones, but this doesn't mean that there is no difference between microphones.

I have been to a couple of studios that used nice cabling. No, not the $17,000 interconnects, but stuff that was more along the line of Cardas. However, the rates for these studios were VERY high; they mostly catered to major label rock bands who could afford the very best.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #147 of 162
Is it just me, or are the majority of the cable haters on this topic the same people who think they can get the same sound out of a laptop computer as a high end stereo system?

To me, this speaks volumes. Nothing against using a computer to listen to music, I do it myself, but there is NO comparison between my PC and my main rig. It seems like these people googled "cable snake oil" and then decided that cutting and pasting makes them an electrical engineer.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #148 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me, or are the majority of the cable haters on this topic the same people who think they can get the same sound out of a laptop computer as a high end stereo system?

To me, this speaks volumes. Nothing against using a computer to listen to music, I do it myself, but there is NO comparison between my PC and my main rig. It seems like these people googled "cable snake oil" and then decided that cutting and pasting makes them an electrical engineer.

As long as you have a good transport supplemented by a great DAC there is no reason why a PC based system should lose out to a redbook based system. If we're talking vinyl rig then different story; but my impression is that you're referencing a standard redbook system, which in this case, you're clearly wrong.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #149 of 162
Quote:

As long as you have a good transport supplemented by a great DAC there is no reason why a PC based system should lose out to a redbook based system.

First of all, what PC transport is good? Servicable, sure, but GOOD???

Secondly, every cable hater here is talking about how it's all power supply, power supply. What kind of a power supply does a PC have?

This is assinine. I have a gaming rig that is close to $10,000 by Voodoo PC. It's probably one of the best built computers you can get. EVERY part is top of the line. It sounds NOTHING like my main rig.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #150 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, what PC transport is good? Servicable, sure, but GOOD???

Secondly, every cable hater here is talking about how it's all power supply, power supply. What kind of a power supply does a PC have?

This is assinine. I have a gaming rig that is close to $10,000 by Voodoo PC. It's probably one of the best built computers you can get. EVERY part is top of the line. It sounds NOTHING like my main rig.

Hahaha. Voodoo is FAR from the best. You pay much much more than needed. Build yourself a real computer, like someone who is actually into computers would do, and then speak.

People who refer to their computer performance by price are ridicolous and often don't know the first thing about them, most likely why you bought pre-built.

Voodoo PC's use far from top of the line parts. They use decent parts, but nothing better than a midrange custom machine built to OC/bench.

So you should give up on that argument, since computers are definitely what I know much more than you about.

And computers have much more going for them then most. Use a good quality DAC and play back bit-perfect FLAC files, and you have a great source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back