Most ridiculous home theater ever? You decide.
Feb 9, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone seen that last picture in the article? After seeing that picture, I just kept wondering, did that dude make his own money, or did he marry the money?

That's just mean. Then again, we all make sacrifices for the hobby.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 86
And you say I am mean...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just mean. Then again, we all make sacrifices for the hobby.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #19 of 86
Look closely. He manages to get all those McIntosh amps wireless lol. They are also in front of all those huge subs that ethebull said were so powerful. That is definitely not a good idea...

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 86
Probably got rid of all the wires because they would otherwise clutter up the pretty picture.

All those tubes in front of super powerful subs... that dude must have a healthy stash of tubes...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look closely. He manages to get all those McIntosh amps wireless lol. They are also in front of all those huge subs that ethebull said were so powerful. That is definitely not a good idea...

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 86
Very nice. I would've put in another few seats though. The exposed gear-look is very nice, but I would personally go for the concealed look. It is possible to hide speakers behind acoustically transparent screens.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. I would've put in another few seats though. The exposed gear-look is very nice, but I would personally go for the concealed look. It is possible to hide speakers behind acoustically transparent screens.

I know, I've been thinking that since some pics of this system popped up a few weeks ago in the Member's Lounge.

I would much rather have a black room, with lots of seats, where all you can see is the screen. I wouldn't want any distractions.

That projector, oh man, it's like $20,000 and I'd kill for one.

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 86
The projector is $100k, the lens cost about $20k and the lamp a sweet $8k
wink.gif
Still, it's not even close to being the most expensive but very impressive nonetheless.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

And regardless of how pricey the projector is, its specs indicate contrast ratio is 1800:1, not really that impressive.

George Lucas is involved with THX after all, I don't think he will be easily impressed. In particular, there is video upscaling here, non-native resolution being displayed. Video upscaling will *never* improve PQ over native resolution seen at the equivalent optimal distance.

I bet a 1080p plasma the right size and at the right distance beats that system image-quality wise. And a high-quality (but "standard") 5.1 system properly calibrated in a decent room won't be dissapointing at all in comparison, even though it certainly won't shake the neighborhood like this one.

I doubt high-profile millionaires would fall for such system, even movie buffs and moguls. They might prefer a more "theater-like" home theather, with many more seats, a few rows of them in a sloped room, more social space, and leaving equipment more discretely / safely placed (more safely for both the equipment and the audience; imagine someone drinking a soda over those McIntoshes after the movie :O Or someone going to the restroom in the middle of the movie and tripping and falling on those hot tubes.)

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 86
Speaking of amps, I'm wondering what's driving what. Here's the gear:

Amplification:
Mark Levinson N° 33h Amplifiers (2)
McIntosh MC-2102 Amplifiers (30)
Crown Macro Reference Gold Amplifiers (3)

Speakers:
Snell 1800 THX Music & Cinema Reference Subwoofers (16)
Snell THX Music & Cinema Reference Towers (8)
MuRata ES103A Super Tweeters (10)
Snell THX Music & Cinema Reference LCR-2800 Center-Channel Speakers (3)

I'm guessing the ML 33h's drive the front L&R towers, the Crowns are with the three center channels, and the Mac's drive the subs and tweets. It doesn't really add up and seems to me to be a weird hodgepodge.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't really add up and seems to me to be a weird hodgepodge.

You are exactly right, I didn't even notice it. This room doesn't make any sense.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #28 of 86
Sigh, who cares about the projector? Sound is obviously what this guy cares about, (same with most of us!)

I wouldn't mind using an old 20" tube tv with that setup.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 86
Amazing system. I am a little curious about the placement of the speakers and particularly the subs directly behind the tubed McIntosh amps as far a interference and microphonics go, but I'm sure that was thought out... Pretty cool.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I applaud the man. He's following his dreams, and figures "the heck with anyone who doesn't agree with me." Do you see the smile on his face? Does he have some other purpose that he must fulfill in this life beyond his own happiness?

Besides, he's done this for business purposes, and will undoubtedly earn that money back many times over. Plus, I suspect that if $6 million is full retail (i.e., what one of his ultra wealthy customers would be charged for the gear as well as his installation, setup, and room treatment expertise) and he's been in the business for all these years, his actual cost is probably less than half of that. With just one sale to the kind of client that he has in mind, his own system will have been free! Think about it.

I'm now looking into airfare rates to Redding, Connecticut, and trying to figure out who I might know who might know him, so I can give this glorious system and look and listen for myself! It totally exemplifies excess, but for many, that's what this hobby is all about. That's where his buzz comes from; in reaching for new heights. He's not some idiot with more money than sense. He's a wealthy man who has made his money due to his driving passion for the music industry and the high end audio/video hobby. For him to spend millions of dollars on houses and cars would be unnatural; for him to spend his money in this manner makes perfect sense... to him, and to anyone else who shares his passion.

I absolutely agree. Well stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back