Most recognizable Opening SECOND of any song?
Aug 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 75
OP gave the two answers that jumped to my mind - Like a Rolling Stone and A Hard Day's Night - but for the artist(s) with the most examples, dig out your Abba collection. I reckon that the first second of the following songs are all immediately identifiable: Summer Night City, Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me, Super Trouper, Waterloo. Great pop operates from the first bar ...

By the way, a couple of people have mentioned Metallica's "Enter Sandman", and by my reckoning you only get one note on electric guitar to identify it. For this, and several other suggestions, I think that you'd need 2 or 3 seconds.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #33 of 75
Ummm unquestionably.....

QUEEN's [size=xx-large]We Will Rock You.[/size]

Honestly when you hear the "boom boom" of feet on the bleachers immediately followed by the "clap" of hands, you and everyone else in the room knows that song.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #37 of 75
Suite Madam Blue-Styx
Easy Livin'-Uriah Heep
Voodoo Child-SRV
Fanfare for the Common Man-ELP
Baba O'Riley-The Who
School-Supertramp
White Room-Cream
Wammer Jammer-J Giles
Jailhouse Rock-Elvis
2112 Overture-Rush

Then theres the tv themes

Andy Griffith Show
Barney Miller
Jerry Seinfeld
The Adams Family
Twilight Zone
Lost in Space
Maimi Vice
Woody Woodpecker Show
MASH
Dragnet

And last
Windows start up & shut down

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #39 of 75
Day Tripper

Duh-duhduhduhduhduh d'duh duh duh duh

See ya
Steve

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #41 of 75
Well, "Help!" for one. (In the Beatles theme)

For me, probably all of Led Zeppelin 1, maybe Dazed & Confused or Good Times, Bad Times in particular. Any of them really, though.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #43 of 75
Some greats have been mentioned, so I'm gonna have to go with...

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

Aug 22, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #44 of 75
Kraftwerk - Computer World 2 ....especially when played right after the track that precedes it on Computer World. That transition from "Numbers" to "CW2" might actually be my favorite Kraftwerk moment of all.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

The chord that gives away the song to anyone who has heard it once.

Bingo. If you're talking about the actual first SECOND that sound occurs in the song, I think this would be one of the tops.

I heard in the Anthology or something how they traveled across England to learn this specific chord or something like that?

It would be cool for somebody to actually put together a 'quiz' of first-second of songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back