Most Prestigious Headphone Manufacturer Brand?
Mar 2, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #32 of 50
Stax. My experience with Sennheiser has been roughly along the following lines:

"What headphones did you get."

"Sennheiser"

"Oh.... they make vacuum cleaners, right?"

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #33 of 50
On the way to work, I realized there's no question or even competition in my mind. Most prestigious brand is Stax. It's the only brand with a connoisseur image.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #35 of 50
Easy answer -

Wussy boy?
otb0221.jpg

Or someone who's Staxed.

SR007.jpg

Polite lil Senn?
sennheiser.jpg

Or hoochie-mama Stax?
stax.jpg

That's what I thought. Links brought to you courtesy of Minya, the Anime Lover.

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #36 of 50
While I'd be about the last person to argue that Grado makes the best headphones, I will say that every headphone they make is geared towards the audiophile market. This is not the case with the other brands listed and each of the other brands has headphones that wouldn't even come close to cutting it by audiophile standards. For this reason and this reason only I would argue that Grado is the most "prestigious" of the brands listed.

In terms of top of the line offerings, they all put out some very nice products and it would be hard to judge without having major biases based upon personal priorities and preferences.

-EDIT-

Wow, those are really cool anime pics Jahn! Thanks Minya!

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #37 of 50
I'll have to go with "Polite lil Senn"
600smile.gif
The HD580 was the first headphone I knew of that costed more than $200; and then it made me aware of the Orpheus...

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #38 of 50
When i saw the title i thought "stax"

and i'm staying with that.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #39 of 50
I think it would be Stax.
Because Stax only makes hi-end headphones.
While Toyota owns the Lexus brand, they also make Corolla.
Toyota therefore would not be a prestigious brand.
If Porche also makes cheap scooters in addition to fancy sports cars, would you think of it as a prestigious brand?

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #40 of 50
In the absence of Stax, Beyerdynamic (and Audio Technica)

The Orpheus may be "Prestigious", but the brand itself is more BMW/Mercedes than Bentley.

Mar 2, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #41 of 50
It's Sennheiser.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #42 of 50
I voted sennheiser too. My parents know nothing about headphones and they at least know of sennhieser. Good build quality and presentation too.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Sennheiser has Grado beat in this area. Thier build quality, packaging, everything, is just built to a higher standard. They can't touch the Grado sound, but they know what they're doing all right. Grado has the most "prestige" in their cartridges I suppose, they've got it right there. AKG I usually associate with microphones, they make some good stuff there. Beyerdynamic I know nothing about. Sony is a mixed bag.

There is one thing which I cannot understand: why Grado uses so poor materials, build quality and packaging for most of their headphones? The plastic used for the Prestige Series is of low quality which easily scratches while the cover of the drivers is not even properly finished. The cloth on top of the drivers is glued while the glue is clearly visible around the can. The pads are badly made and uncomfortable. And let's not go to the headband and these horrible plastic attachments for the vertical pins which loose their traction after some use! Why is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back