Most Prestigious Headphone Manufacturer Brand?
Mar 1, 2005 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

paspro

100+ Head-Fier
Which headphone manufacturer do you consider to be the most "prestigious brand", as far as headphones is concerned, based on reputation, history, technical innovations, name recognition (mainly for audiophiles), sound and build quality etc ?

Note: This is not supposed to be a popularity poll for which manufacturer you prefer but rather which manufacturer has the best reputation in the market of headphones regardless of whether you personally like/own its products or not.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 50
But where's Bose?
eggosmile.gif

(just Kidding)
-John

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 50
I went with Sennheiser. I have a friend who knows absolutely nothing about headphones, and when she saw my HD580's and the word "Sennheiser" plastered across the top, she said "Aren't those really good?" Plus, they do make the Orpheus, which needs no explanation.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 50
From somebody who within two weeks ago was a typical headphone consumer (unknowledgable), without question Sennheiser has the reputation.

Sennheiser was the only can in my mind considered to be above other headphones I could purchase at most retail stores - Sony, Panasonic, etc.

I think this question should have been in two parts - one for the mainstream typical consumer, and one for the true headphile. I've only been in the game a couple of weeks, but there are many prestigious high end headphones, all that satisfy different needs.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 50
You had me with Grado until "Name Recognition." Senns beat Grados there.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 50
Newmark
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 50
Grado? Outside USA, Grado is almost unknown, audiophiles included. Here in europe is really difficult buy Grado headphones. Sennheiser (audiophile use) and AKG (professional use) are the ones with better reputation.

Mar 1, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by paspro
Which headphone manufacturer do you consider to be the most "prestigious brand", as far as headphones is concerned, based on reputation, history, technical innovations, name recognition (mainly for audiophiles), sound and build quality etc ?

Note: This is not supposed to be a popularity poll for which manufacturer you prefer but rather which manufacturer has the best reputation in the market of headphones regardless of whether you personally like/own its products or not.

Hey, where's Japan?! You forgot Audio-Technica and Stax, both of which, especially the latter, have a fair shot at the title.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hey, where's Japan?! You forgot Audio-Technica and Stax, both of which, especially the latter, have a fair shot at the title.

Best regards,

-Jason

I agree, even before I got "into" headphones, I knew about Sony and Sennheiser (owned ~$100-$150 examples of both, typically prefered the Sony sound) but the name Stax was always the "ultimate". I think the thing that separates Stax from Sennheiser is that Stax basically has no low end to "sully" the name. You can walk into a chain electronics store and see Sennheisers so a lot of that mystique is gone. Stax as an entire brand remains high end. Think of Toyota vs Lexus. Doesn't matter that they're the same manuf., Toyota knows the importance in a name and perception, esp at the high end. Probably Sony suffers the most from this due to the fact that they do so many other things than headphones. This is part of the reason they've gone to this whole Qualia thing.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Grado? Outside USA, Grado is almost unknown, audiophiles included. Here in europe is really difficult buy Grado headphones.

Difficult as in hard to find and hard to pay for. I guess I would already own some Grados if they would not protect their local distributors from US imports. Where the RS-1 is $695 from Headroom a quick search tells me it's €799 here, which today equals $1.053,32. Slight difference. But then Sennheiser prices in the US are not to cough at either, while I just paid about $240 for my HD600 in Germany.

Anyway, I don't think this is an answerable question in this place, since all of those manufacturers have at least one or two über-products.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 50
Sennheiser has Grado beat in this area. Thier build quality, packaging, everything, is just built to a higher standard. They can't touch the Grado sound, but they know what they're doing all right. Grado has the most "prestige" in their cartridges I suppose, they've got it right there. AKG I usually associate with microphones, they make some good stuff there. Beyerdynamic I know nothing about. Sony is a mixed bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back