Most portable USB DAC + headphone amp solution?
Jul 13, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
What is my best option if I want something small and portable to play music from my laptop into IEM's?

Is there a battery operated USB dac + headphone amp avaliable?
blink.gif

Is it easier just to buy an ipod + a Tomahawk?

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 11
You're in the same boat as me. Meier Corda Move..DAC and amp.....all in one solution.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 11
I think Justin of HeadAmp posted in the MD meet thread that he will be showing off his new DAC/amp. Knowing his track record, I would seriously consider waiting for it to come out.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 11
dont forget to add the total bithead to the list to check out

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 11
Yes, the Bithead is quite good at $150. Plus you have crossfeed. You might like it, and you might not, but you can always turn it off.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Justin of HeadAmp posted in the MD meet thread that he will be showing off his new DAC/amp. Knowing his track record, I would seriously consider waiting for it to come out.

You were right. I ordered a Corda Move on the 18th, and the new Micro Dac/Amp combo was announced here the next day.
biggrin.gif

Then again, the Micro is almost $400 more than the Move.
eek.gif
I'm sure the DAC is a significant upgrade in the Micro (apparently it's about the same as the existing micro stack), but that's still a lot of money.

I might be better off just getting an outgoing Micro Dac to use with my Move for home use. The combo would cost less than the new Micro Dac/Amp.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were right. I ordered a Corda Move on the 18th, and the new Micro Dac/Amp combo was announced here the next day.
biggrin.gif

Then again, the Micro is almost $400 more than the Move.
eek.gif
I'm sure the DAC is a significant upgrade in the Micro (apparently it's about the same as the existing micro stack), but that's still a lot of money.

I might be better off just getting an outgoing Micro Dac to use with my Move for home use. The combo would cost less than the new Micro Dac/Amp.

Actually I was talking about HeadAmp, not HeadRoom
cool.gif

Here are actually a few pictures taken by thrice at the meet of HeadAmp's Dac/Amp
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

more pics here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=250611&page=3

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 11
If we take the thread title literally, the MOST portable usb dac and headphone amp is a USB thumb-sized sound controller like a TBAAM. Tiny, powerful enough for most headphones, and not even bad-sounding. Not as good as the larger and more expensive options mentioned above, not by a long shot, but it is technically more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back