Most Overrated Drummers?
Aug 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #121 of 182
Quote:
You can add Ginger Baker, Keith Moon to the mix as well (and Bill Ward too IMO).

Agreed on all three. And just for the record Phil Collins was an awesome drummer back in the Peter Gabriel days of Genesis, when that's all he was.

edit: How about most underrated drummer? My vote goes to Ringo Starr.

Not to mention John Densmore, who had to carry the rhythm section without a bassist.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #122 of 182
Quote:

Agreed on all three. And just for the record Phil Collins was an awesome drummer back in the Peter Gabriel days of Genesis, when that's all he was.

No arguments here...and a fantastic singing voice to boot.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #123 of 182
For the win.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #125 of 182
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #126 of 182
Quote:
What's your beef with Peart? I couldn't care less who you like or dislike...but the facts are still there (whether you choose to acknowledge them or not).

So with Rock, no there weren't innovators before the drummers I mentioned that anyone today would name or care to for that matter.

I don't have a beef with Peart. I think he's a great drummer. The problem is that you're making it sound like he is the end all be all of drummers and that no modern drummers are innovators, simply followers of what others did in the past, and that's not true.

Edit: Actually, you clearly stated it.

Its one thing to be an innovator and pioneer and something completely different to be just a follower. 
font]

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #127 of 182
Quote:
eek.gif
 That was a horrible reminder of everything that went wrong after Mr. Gabriel left the band.

Hahahaha. I love my Disney.

Quote:
I don't have a beef with Peart. I think he's a great drummer. The problem is that you're making it sound like he is the end all be all of drummers and that no modern drummers are innovators, simply followers of what others did in the past, and that's not true.

I agree. I won't deny any status he holds in context with the past, but (and please don't take this out of proportion anyone) if you were to ignore all that, by today's standards he is extremely generic.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #128 of 182
Quote:

Edit: Actually, you clearly stated it.

He is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Are modern drummers good, sure, but I haven't been wowed by their "innovation" by what Peart, Bonham, Moon and Baker have already done. 

Oh, and found this little ditty:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-best-drummers-of-all-time-20110208

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #129 of 182
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #130 of 182
Quote:
Damn good list except for friggin Ringo...

I guess they threw him in there because he was the drummer for the Beatles.

I wouldn't put Ringo in the top 10 drummers in the Beatles. 
tongue.gif
  But the top 3 are totally spot on for me. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #131 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about most underrated drummer? My vote goes to Ringo Starr.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #132 of 182
Quote:

He is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Are modern drummers good, sure, but I haven't been wowed by their "innovation" by what Peart, Bonham, Moon and Baker have already done. 

Oh, and found this little ditty:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/rolling-stone-readers-pick-best-drummers-of-all-time-20110208

I'm curious... what modern drummers have you heard? Would you mind naming a few off the top of your head?

Quote:
How about most underrated drummer? My vote goes to Ringo Starr.

Agreed.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #134 of 182
Quote:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Lists like this make me laugh. It is Rolling Stone though, so I don't know why I'd expect anything other than a popularity contest in the first place.

Yeah. This. When I saw the link to Rolling Stone I said to myself "Oh boy, here we go!", but I didn't want to say it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #135 of 182
Gotta give props to the innovators though. I'm glad they included Buddy Rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back