Most Overrated Drummers?
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #92 of 182
Quote:

People that don't understand see him as simplistic.

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to Zep in a while, but I disagree. I really don't recall Bonham being a genius. Yeah, he had his own style which was really cool and stood out, but I think that's the extent of it. People see him as simplistic because he is simplistic.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #93 of 182
Quote:

Maybe it's because I haven't listened to Zep in a while, but I disagree. I really don't recall Bonham being a genius. Yeah, he had his own style which was really cool and stood out, but I think that's the extent of it. People see him as simplistic because he is simplistic.

I would suggest you listen to some more Zeppelin. 
wink_face.gif

What people? Jealous drummers maybe? 
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #95 of 182
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #97 of 182
Quote:
That's definitely good. Don't get me wrong. That's a great solo, great fills, etc, but I can't go as far as calling the guy a genius. That's too much.

Sorry, the man IMVHO is a genius...start with Zeppelin I and listen to everything right up to CODA. One of the top 3 or 4 drummers ever....period. (Along with Peart, Moon, and Ginger Baker).

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #98 of 182
Kind of have to agree. I think Moon is my favorite (considering The Who is my favorite band of all time), but Bonham is/was amazing. That's not even the best version of Moby Dick. :wink:

14 minute version takes the cake. Can't remember when it was from right now exactly, though.

Quote:

Sorry, the man IMVHO is a genius...start with Zeppelin I and listen to everything right up to CODA. One of the top 3 or 4 drummers ever....period. (Along with Peart, Moon, and Ginger Baker).

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #102 of 182
Quote:
Maybe this isn't the thread for ths post because I would say with little debate , this guy is (currently) the best drummer on the planet!

If drum solos bore you, que up to about the 4:20 mark and watch the rest.  He's amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efERFCN0B_0

I think you already posted this in this thread. 
tongue.gif
 He is amazing though.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #103 of 182
Quote:

I think you already posted this in this thread. 
tongue.gif
 He is amazing though.

Oops , sorry.  I MAY have but worth another look, for sure. Weckl is actually my personal favorite.  Never seen a guy be able to play in so many settings and play so comfortably (as a lead or session or rhythm..etc) as he is the master of polyrythyms and giving the other guys plenty of space while still playing with complexity.
Dave is a great salsa drummer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmykCWMPWvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4wU0xKDAbg

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #104 of 182
  • Neil Peart has never done anything to impress you eh? Do you know of another drummer who can pull off a double cross over. Watch this. If you can walk away unimpressed you surely aren't a drummer, or a musician, or even appreciate music. Harsh and bold i know, and I'm not saying like it. I'm saying have a little respect!
  • And who ever said he's not quite as good as some of the jazz drummers of old, well that's comparing apples to oranges. He doesn't play jazz. Though he does pay significant homage to the jazz drummers of ole. In fact O batarista uses trumpet parts cut straight from old jazz pieces. I forget the specific tune. His set is MUCH MUCH larger than theirs. And he plays them all.
  • Peart used double bass too back in the day FYI
  • Peart is actually some one you can look up to. Bonham died chocking on his own vomit because he was so bloody drunk. Is that what you want your kids to look up to?
  • Peart can write. And i don't mean that simply from a musical standpoint but also a lyric and poetic point.
  • He's one of the most articulate, well spoken "rockers" of all time. Hands down.
  • He's also show tremendous ability to over come hardship and personal loss. In 1997 he lost his daughter in a car wreck and his wife a few months later to cancer. a "slow death of apathy" as he so poetically described it.
  • They use some bizzar time signatures as well as several time changes, no simple feat especially in regard to their complexity.
  • The best drummer not only demonstrates significant playing ability but works in perfect unison with his band mates. Their is no better example than rush.

Now you can hate all you want. However his influence is truly undeniable. His finesse and refinement have grown to new heights through the years. And oh, by the way, the man's 60! and still putting youngin's to shame!

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #105 of 182
Quote:
  • Neil Peart has never done anything to impress you eh? Do you know of another drummer who can pull off a double cross over. Watch this. If you can walk away unimpressed you surely aren't a drummer, or a musician, or even appreciate music. Harsh and bold i know, and I'm not saying like it. I'm saying have a little respect!
  • And who ever said he's not quite as good as some of the jazz drummers of old, well that's comparing apples to oranges. He doesn't play jazz. Though he does pay significant homage to the jazz drummers of ole. In fact O batarista uses trumpet parts cut straight from old jazz pieces. I forget the specific tune. His set is MUCH MUCH larger than theirs. And he plays them all.
  • Peart used double bass too back in the day FYI
  • Peart is actually some one you can look up to. Bonham died chocking on his own vomit because he was so bloody drunk. Is that what you want your kids to look up to?
  • Peart can write. And i don't mean that simply from a musical standpoint but also a lyric and poetic point.
  • He's one of the most articulate, well spoken "rockers" of all time. Hands down.
  • He's also show tremendous ability to over come hardship and personal loss. In 1997 he lost his daughter in a car wreck and his wife a few months later to cancer. a "slow death of apathy" as he so poetically described it.
  • They use some bizzar time signatures as well as several time changes, no simple feat especially in regard to their complexity.
  • The best drummer not only demonstrates significant playing ability but works in perfect unison with his band mates. Their is no better example than rush.

Now you can hate all you want. However his influence is truly undeniable. His finesse and refinement have grown to new heights through the years. And oh, by the way, the man's 60! and still putting youngin's to shame!

Very well stated! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back