Most Overrated Drummers?
Aug 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #79 of 182
Gavin Harrison > all others

better than Portnoy, and Peart, and boy does he know how to record and master drum recordings! just listen to Porcupine Tree, OSI, or his solo work with 05 Ric. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #81 of 182
Hey!  Hey!  I have opinions too!   LOOK OUT!

John Bohnam and Neil Peart are hyped because of their persona.

John Bohnam it's his wild man mystique, between the drum solo's sans sticks, riding motorcycles through hotels, the amount of cocaine dust that would surround his kit after a set, and just in general being in Zeppelin, sure people are going to jock him, but don't let the hype detract from the ability.

Neil Peart is the quintessential drum nerd, what's his drum piece count at these days??  He's absurdly accurate, from friends who've done stage hand work at venue's Rush has played, each of his drum heads have a single pit at dead center, which you may say, "so what?"  Well think about it like this, it's like a guitarist who nails every single note that they intend to play, every time, without fail, being that accurate takes a lot of skill, a lot of practice, you may be able to argue that there's no soul, but tight playing is his style, it's like getting mad at a landscape painter for not adding in things that weren't there, it wasn't their intention, you're just nitpicking.

In my mind, most overrated goes to Phil Collins.  But that's mainly because I hate him and Genesis.

I'd also like to throw in Quest Love from The Roots.  I get that he's one of the only live drummers in hip hop, but he's really not doing anything too crazy, just steady break beats.  Full disclosure, I've never searched out anything else he may have done that would fully demonstrate his abilities, feel free to prove me wrong.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #82 of 182
Neil Peart is the quintessential drum nerd, what's his drum piece count at these days??  He's absurdly accurate, from friends who've done stage hand work at venue's Rush has played, each of his drum heads have a single pit at dead center, which you may say, "so what?"  Well think about it like this, it's like a guitarist who nails every single note that they intend to play, every time, without fail, being that accurate takes a lot of skill, a lot of practice, you may be able to argue that there's no soul, but tight playing is his style, it's like getting mad at a landscape painter for not adding in things that weren't there, it wasn't their intention, you're just nitpicking.

I don't deny his skill in that sense, however I think it's made rather less impressive by the fact that he pretty much only plays very simple or basic rhythms (at least from what I've seen of him). It's like being able to draw a perfect right triangle as opposed to being able to do a painting. This could all just come down to personal preference though.

In my mind, most overrated goes to Phil Collins.  But that's mainly because I hate him and Genesis.

Haha. I'm still undecided whether Genesis is just plain terrible, terrigood, or legitimately awesome.

I'd also like to throw in Quest Love from The Roots.  I get that he's one of the only live drummers in hip hop, but he's really not doing anything too crazy, just steady break beats.  Full disclosure, I've never searched out anything else he may have done that would fully demonstrate his abilities, feel free to prove me wrong.

I agree. However, it seems to me that like Travis Barker, it's less coming from actual drummers. I like him though. Live hip hop drums are like my wet dream, haha.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #83 of 182
I'm honestly a little surprised I haven't had to defend how awesome Keith Moon was in this thread. :D Happy to see people don't think he was over rated though.

EDIT: Strangely enough though...my favorite Who song doesn't feature Keith on drums. Good ol' Kenny Jones.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #84 of 182
Quote:
I'm honestly a little surprised I haven't had to defend how awesome Keith Moon was in this thread. :D Happy to see people don't think he was over rated though.

EDIT: Strangely enough though...my favorite Who song doesn't feature Keith on drums. Good ol' Kenny Jones.

I actually had him in mind for #3 in my original post, hehe. I feel similarly about him as with Bonham. He's all well and good, but certainly doesn't belong at the top of greatest drummer of all time lists. :p

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #85 of 182
Bonham's original syncopations made him a rock percussion genius IMO.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #86 of 182
Quote:

IMO too. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #87 of 182
Quote:
What drummers do you think are overrated? Here's a few of mine:

1. Neil Peart - Seriously, what do people see in this guy? Just because he's in Rush doesn't make him good. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, but I at least have never seen/heard him do anything really impressive. Overall very forgettable.

2. John Bonham - It seems to me like there's a similar "he's good because he's in Led Zeppelin" syndrome going on here, BUT I actually hesitate a little to call him overrated. I think he does actually live up to his name for the most part. Waaaaaaay better than Peart. Still, I don't think he's quite as good as some people  make him out to be.

I agree with you about Peart and Bonham. Definitely overrated. I never understood how Bonham is considered one of the greatest drummers of all time. He's just a simple rock drummer, honestly. Not that great.

Peart... I think he's definitely a great drummer and a very good soloist, but he's just too flashy at times, and I think that's why so many people think he's amazing.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #88 of 182
Quote:
I agree with you about Peart and Bonham. Definitely overrated. I never understood how Bonham is considered one of the greatest drummers of all time. He's just a simple rock drummer, honestly. Not that great.

Peart... I think he's definitely a great drummer and a very good soloist, but he's just too flashy at times, and I think that's why so many people think he's amazing.

I think Bonham is really very good, just not supremely amazing or #1 or anything like that.

If by flashy you mean "I make really simple and rudimentary rhythms look fancy by playing them across 10 different drums" then I agree, haha. Admittedly it does take skill to pull that off, especially with his crazy amount of precision, but it still doesn't make it anything more than a thoughtless physical exercise in my own mind.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #89 of 182
Quote:

I think Bonham is really very good, just not supremely amazing or #1 or anything like that.

If by flashy you mean "I make really simple and rudimentary rhythms look fancy by playing them across 10 different drums" then I agree, haha. Admittedly it does take skill to pull that off, especially with his crazy amount of precision, but it still doesn't make it anything more than a thoughtless physical exercise in my own mind.

Bonham is good for what he is. The perfect drummer for Led Zeppelin, I think. I just don't think he's very special.

And yes, that's pretty much what I mean by flashy. He's just over the top sometimes. I still think Peart is great, though.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #90 of 182
Quote:

Agreed. People that don't understand see him as simplistic. Mozart seems simplistic to those that don't understand as well. And Robert Johnson being simplistic for playing the same simple blues riff and .... oh never mind, they will never get it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back