Most over rated genre (major boring) Your experience.
Nov 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #948 of 967
It's like flypaper to ignorance.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #949 of 967
Feb 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #951 of 967
dismissing a genre such as metal because it is not as complex as jazz or classical it just snobbery. music does not have to be complex to be good.IMo music is more about emotion than complexity.A good musician portays his feelings in a song while a skilled musician may be able to play something more complex if he cant put emotion into music then i do not think they compare the emotion wins hands down. Genre choices are very personal and largely depend on your mood and experiences but dismissing a genres while not giving it a chance and actually looking into that said genre is silly a limits yourself from finding music you may actually like. The same goes for rap sure many of the artists may not have any skill with a particular instrument, rap is a genre that if you look in the right places is lyrically better than most others. I think that rap is majorly dismissed because of peoples perceptions from what they have heard on the radio. when actually taken out of context the lyrics of rap are far beyond what most people believe

For rap i honestly believe that akala shows that there is much more intelligence that most people believe.

There a many other songs etc. that show what i mean (many probably show it better) but my main point is that if you do not know much about a genre that do not criticise before atleast learning about it, If you do enough looking you may surprise yourself not everyone will like genres but calling a genre 'crap' without a good knownledge of it is stupid In my opinion.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #953 of 967
I think classical is over-rated. Yes, it is nice to listen to and there is complexity beyond all complexity in some CDs I have listened to, but here (and at other places) it's just held in much higher regard that what it is really. 

/Opinion.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #954 of 967
This thread is like flypaper to ignorance.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #956 of 967
Just rubbernecking the car crash on the freeway.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #957 of 967
any music made by white people with musical instruments...

:troll:

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #960 of 967

Quote:
dismissing a genre such as metal because it is not as complex as jazz or classical it just snobbery. music does not have to be complex to be good.IMo music is more about emotion than complexity.A good musician portays his feelings in a song while a skilled musician may be able to play something more complex if he cant put emotion into music then i do not think they compare the emotion wins hands down. Genre choices are very personal and largely depend on your mood and experiences but dismissing a genres while not giving it a chance and actually looking into that said genre is silly a limits yourself from finding music you may actually like. The same goes for rap sure many of the artists may not have any skill with a particular instrument, rap is a genre that if you look in the right places is lyrically better than most others. I think that rap is majorly dismissed because of peoples perceptions from what they have heard on the radio. when actually taken out of context the lyrics of rap are far beyond what most people believe

There a many other songs etc. that show what i mean (many probably show it better) but my main point is that if you do not know much about a genre that do not criticise before atleast learning about it, If you do enough looking you may surprise yourself not everyone will like genres but calling a genre 'crap' without a good knownledge of it is stupid In my opinion.

Hi, when I spoke about music composition skills I didn't refer to the composition complexity (a tune does not have to be complex to be emotional) but to the ability of using the notes and the harmony rules (even if unknown) as if they were words or colours.

Example of which-notes-give-what (please watch until the end)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back