Most over rated genre (major boring) Your experience.
Sep 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 967

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
I've tried to get into those genre I seldom listen to, to find the charm in them. Opera, classical I can see. Jazz I just don't get. The jazzy groove added to other genre like rock (Pink Floyd) I like but mainstream jazz I get bored with.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 967
Not to undermine your thread but overrated is not the right word. I don't like classical up until this point but that doesn't mean it's overrated because others like it. It's all a matter of taste and one can't argue with that. Well, my say. Carry on
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 967
*puts on Nomex suit*

Rap and hip hop are a complete snore.

It never develops and never goes anywhere. One catchy musical phrase gets driven into the ground while overlayed by a lot of (oh my!) naughty words that totally shock and offend my tender sensibilities. Either that or I've heard plenty of bad words over the past 39 years and barely notice them other than to note that they are regularly employed when creativity is utterly lacking.

Things I'd like to see in the genre:

1. Topics other than sex, drugs, guns, other rappers, or really, just a topic at all.

2. Original composition instead of samples. Samples are so 1989.

3. People playing instruments. Really, is that too much to ask for? A five year-old can be taught to play a recorder. And, yes, I would appreciate a recorder. (Real bands and musicians could work one in.)

4. Variation in tempo and time signature. Why the monotonous 4/4?

5. How about developing musical themes? Beethoven's Fifth takes a catchy phrase and takes it in unexpected directions.

Musically speaking, the genre is stodgy and überconservative.

To throw more gas on the fire, most of it is badly recorded and people listen to it on lousy equipment.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 967
That pop crap that most people listen to. (obvious, but needs to be said)

Everything else is OK, I guess. . . matter of preference, of course. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 967
Not to undermine your thread but overrated is not the right word. I don't like classical up until this point but that doesn't mean it's overrated because others like it. It's all a matter of taste and one can't argue with that. Well, my say. Carry on
wink.gif

I expect jazz fans to pipe up and that's ok.

Another era of music has been the last 15 years of pop. As UE says, there is little artistic effort. Just a stage presence with noise.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 967
Modern Pop and Rap. 90% of the radios plays it.  

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 967
Rap and hip hop. I also am not a fan of most electronic music.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 967

Quote:
*puts on Nomex suit*

It never develops and never goes anywhere. One catchy musical phrase gets driven into the ground while overlayed by a lot of (oh my!) naughty words that totally shock and offend my tender sensibilities. Either that or I've heard plenty of bad words over the past 39 years and barely notice them other than to note that they are regularly employed when creativity is utterly lacking.

Things I'd like to see in the genre:

1. Topics other than sex, drugs, guns, other rappers, or really, just a topic at all.

2. Original composition instead of samples. Samples are so 1989.

3. People playing instruments. Really, is that too much to ask for? A five year-old can be taught to play a recorder. And, yes, I would appreciate a recorder. (Real bands and musicians could work one in.)

4. Variation in tempo and time signature. Why the monotonous 4/4?

5. How about developing musical themes? Beethoven's Fifth takes a catchy phrase and takes it in unexpected directions.

Musically speaking, the genre is stodgy and überconservative.

To throw more gas on the fire, most of it is badly recorded and people listen to it on lousy equipment.

Ditto.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 967
Mainstream Hip-Hop is definitely over rated, especially for people in my age group (12-17) Almost every one goes on about how good Eminem is.  In of one of his songs he said : Niki Minaj I want to stick my ****** in your **** . Really ? His music is pretty meh and thats as good as it gets in the mainstream Hip-Hop scene. Lil Wayne is even worse, what the hell is with that guy ? All he does is talk about how rich he is. Don't get me started about the clowns that talk about many women they wish they did. I actually used like mainstream rap and Hip-Hop but the mainstream stuff is just not something I feel like listening anymore since everything I've found is pretty much the same. Underground Hip-Hop is good stuff though.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 967
Quote:

Check out De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest if you haven't yet. They use sampling but in creative ways, and the lyrics are inventive. Easily my two favorite hip hop groups. The Roots play real instruments, I can't say they're as lyrically complex though.

I'm not a fan of much metal besides alternative and progressive. I've tried to get into death metal. It doesn't engage me at all.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 967
Metalcore. As much as I love Metal and like Hardcore, Metalcore is just uninspired crap for me.
The only thing good about it it's that it's fun to play in music games like Rock Band.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 967
High octane metal is another genre I miss out on. Screaming to as much electric noise as possible does nothing for me but give me a headache.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 967
Trance and house. How much ever I try, I can't get it.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 967
I think some pop are actually good, can't think that way about hiphop and all it's subgenre. I even tried what they call True rap and underground hiphop stuff. nothing appeals.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 967
I would say that this genre question unanswerable truly. Everyone has their own opinion. What I have learned is that what might be boring to me may not be boring to others. The most amazing thing too is you could throw out a stack of 1960s easy listening LPs and be really into easy listening LPs a year later and pay big bucks to buy them in a shop. That happened to me in the 1990s. 

So I'm careful not no judge music styles as so much of it comes back at me one way or another. I loved rap in 1989. Hated rap in 2000 but then Numetal infused it into metal music and I still love Numetal even if it is one of the most disliked music at this time.

So much music is learned to be liked. It almost is how it is introduced to you if you are in a mind set for it's reception. So much stuff is years ahead of it's time and when everyone finally catches up with it, it becomes cool. Led Zeppelin was hated when they came out. They were just too different and bombastic for the music scene at the time. The Beatles had a hard time getting a record deal.

It's like that girl in high school that became beautiful once you got to know her. She was different than anyone and that's all you noticed at the start. 

Yes we live in a world of over hyped music and mass media. The great part is we all have a very sensitive way of filtering what is real and what is contrived. Some music too is very close to another language and if we are not close to understanding the words it will tell us nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back