Most over rated genre (major boring) Your experience.
Sep 22, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #301 of 967

Quote:
I would say that this genre question unanswerable truly. Everyone has their own opinion. What I have learned is that what might be boring to me may not be boring to others. The most amazing thing too is you could throw out a stack of 1960s easy listening LPs and be really into easy listening LPs a year later and pay big bucks to buy them in a shop. That happened to me in the 1990s. 

So I'm careful not no judge music styles as so much of it comes back at me one way or another. I loved rap in 1989. Hated rap in 2000 but then Numetal infused it into metal music and I still love Numetal even if it is one of the most disliked music at this time.

So much music is learned to be liked. It almost is how it is introduced to you if you are in a mind set for it's reception. So much stuff is years ahead of it's time and when everyone finally catches up with it, it becomes cool. Led Zeppelin was hated when they came out. They were just too different and bombastic for the music scene at the time. The Beatles had a hard time getting a record deal.

It's like that girl in high school that became beautiful once you got to know her. She was different than anyone and that's all you noticed at the start. 

Yes we live in a world of over hyped music and mass media. The great part is we all have a very sensitive way of filtering what is real and what is contrived. Some music too is very close to another language and if we are not close to understanding the words it will tell us nothing.

100% agreed.  Anyone who states that an entire genre is crap is flaunting their ignorance (aren't we all ignorant in some way :wink:  An open minded person who is honest with himself can simply admit that a particular genre is just "not my cup of tea" and leave it at that.  To express a strong dislike or distaste in a matter of the arts is a misguided waste of energy imho.  Better to direct ones attention to more constructive pursuits.

I can honestly say that I can't think of a single genre that entirely "bores me to tears", however there are strong "popular/conservative" elements within every genre that bore me.  I choose to seek the exceptional and reject the mediocre out of all types of music, regardless of genre.  The concept of genre is just there for us to get a handle on things, but should not be used to define what is good/bad/indifferent.

Get this, everything is over-rated.  You've gotta ignore all the hype to see something for what it is.

Walk with both eyes/ears&mind open, at all times.

Thingy

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #302 of 967
"But you know, only boring people get bored. They have to prod themselves continually in order to feel alive."

Charles Bukowski

Silence is underestimated...

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #303 of 967
Say what you will about jazz/classical it doesn't change the fact i find it boring beyond belief.

That says a lot more about you than it does about the music.

General Note: Ignorance is not knowing. Ignorance is cool. "Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects." -Mark Twain But when one agressively tries to defend and protect their own ignorance, it isn't ignorance any more. They have a different word for it.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #304 of 967

Quote:
That says a lot more about you than it does about the music.

General Note: Ignorance is not knowing. Ignorance is cool. "Everyone is ignorant, just on different subjects." -Mark Twain But when one agressively tries to defend and protect their own ignorance, it isn't ignorance any more. They have a different word for it.

Here you go again with the "if you don't enjoy listening to classical/jazz, you're a moron" bit. Insufferable snobbery. I played jazz all through HS in a very good big band, I know quite a bit about the music, but I don't particularly enjoy listening. What pleasure I do find in listening comes almost purely from appreciation of the technicality and the knowledge behind the music, but compared to my more favorite types of music, I don't feel a large emotional connection. Does this make me stupid? 

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #305 of 967
Depth in music will only make you dislike rap further; there's truly nothing there.

Well, yes and no... It's undeniably true that classical music and jazz are musical oceans, while rap is a puddle. But that doesn't mean that there isn't good rap. It just means there isn't a lot of it.

I try to always keep an open ear for good music popping up in genres I normally don't like. The best example of that was Prince. When I first heard of him, my natural inclination was to dismiss him. But listening to his music carefully showed me what a drop dead genius he is. He's the James Brown of our time, and When I say that, I'm giving him the highest complement.

In rap, I had a similar revelation when I heard Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle. The lyrics are cartoonish in the extreme, but there is great musicality and even a bit of musicianship that you don't often hear in rap music. Nothing Snoop Dogg has done since has come even close to Doggystyle, but it does at least let me know that there are some possibilities in rap.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #306 of 967
Here you go again with the "if you don't enjoy listening to classical/jazz, you're a moron" bit.

That isn't what I said. It's perfectly fine to prefer one flavor over another. That's personal taste. Personal taste is unique to each and every person. The fact that I prefer Thai food to Sushi is my taste. It doesn't mean that you will prefer Thai food too, and it certainly doesn't mean that there's something lacking in Sushi. I'll try Sushi again if there's something I haven't tried before that might be good. Maybe my tastes will change and evolve.

The problem here is basing one's opinion on not knowing and sticking to it like glue. If you don't have an open mind about new things, you'll never discover anything new and you'll never grow. That leads to a boring person, not boring music.

There's enough popular opinion to the contrary to know that classical music and jazz aren't boring, needlessly complex and devoid of emotion. Those sorts of incorrect blanket statements are built up like a wall around ignorance to guarantee that those misconceptions are protected.

Saying, "I really don't know much about classical and jazz, but right now I like contemporary rock music." is an honest statement. It makes it clear where on the road of musical discovery you are. But mischaracterizing other genres one knows nothing about to bolster one's opinion of the genre one is familiar with is willfully ignorant.

The fact that you see arrogance in someone suggesting that you might want to keep an open mind about things you don't know much about should be a clue that you're looking at things from the wrong side of the fence.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #307 of 967

Quote:
That isn't what I said. It's perfectly fine to prefer one flavor over another. That's personal taste. Personal taste is unique to each and every person. The fact that I prefer Thai food to Sushi is my taste. It doesn't mean that you will prefer Thai food too, and it certainly doesn't mean that there's something lacking in Sushi. I'll try Sushi again if there's something I haven't tried before that might be good. Maybe my tastes will change and evolve.

The problem here is basing one's opinion on not knowing and sticking to it like glue. If you don't have an open mind about new things, you'll never discover anything new and you'll never grow. That leads to a boring person, not boring music.

There's enough popular opinion to the contrary to know that classical music and jazz aren't boring, needlessly complex and devoid of emotion. Those sorts of incorrect blanket statements are built up like a wall around ignorance to guarantee that those misconceptions are protected.

Saying, "I really don't know much about classical and jazz, but right now I like contemporary rock music." is an honest statement. It makes it clear where on the road of musical discovery you are. But mischaracterizing other genres one knows nothing about to bolster one's opinion of the genre one is familiar with is willfully ignorant.

The fact that you see arrogance in someone suggesting that you might want to keep an open mind about things you don't know much about should be a clue that you're looking at things from the wrong side of the fence.

Not everyone has the same tests in music. To say otherwise is foolish. Yes there is emotion in classical and jazz and perhaps it's not boring to some people but i have listened to it. I just don't feel any connections or receive any enjoyment from it. I deeply respect the genres but i personally don't listen to it. That might change in the future but right now i don't enjoy it. Lets just leave this at i enjoy different music then you.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #308 of 967
Can I just say that I don't think anything I've read in head-fi's music threads has surprised me as much as reading that bigshot has some love for Snoop? My man…WOW!!
L3000.gif

Some time ago I wrote the following in the "Guilty Pleasures" thread:

"I have struggled with this question, 'cause if I dig something I tend to not stress about it. However, I've gotta admit that admiring Snoop Dogg's work is maaaddd complicated. It all comes down to delivery. There're a trunkload of valid reasons to hate on him (start with misogyny, and move on from there), but "flow" is absolutely not one of them. His is just plain ridiculous."

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #309 of 967
Flow is a good word for it. He scats as fluidly and as relaxed as Ella. The arrangements on Doggie Style are first rate too.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #310 of 967
The hypocrisy in this thread is really something
rolleyes.gif

I doubt you audiophiles can name half a dozen underground artists and their producers.  Even when the backpeddling and denigrating talk starts (oh, that's cute, you made a danceable album down there in Compton!), the only artists and producers people can cite are top-40.

I'm sure the classical fans here would be just as annoyed if the non-classical fans started calling Pachelbel's canon and The Nutcracker representative of classical.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #311 of 967

Quote:
"But you know, only boring people get bored. They have to prod themselves continually in order to feel alive."

Charles Bukowski

Silence is underestimated...

Ha! I heard something like this recently.  My father describing bored teenagers, "you're not bored, you're just boring!".  Love it.

Silence is golden  (c:

Some of you guys need to talk less and listen/reflect more.  I'm outta here, me!

peace

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #312 of 967
Well, I don't know about hypocrisy, but like I said pages ago (around comment 70 or so), the idea of music lovers wearing genre-hatred as a badge feels inanely chauvinistic to me, which is why I've kinda steered clear of much of this thread. Truth is, I only checked in to read what bigshot was saying, because even though we don't agree on a whole lot of stuff his arguments generally sound like he cares enough about the music he digs to dissect it and try to put it in some larger context. I'd like music to provoke thought, which is harder and harder these days because I think the idea that it's generally a mere lifestyle decision has taken hold big time.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #314 of 967
I'm sure the classical fans here would be just as annoyed if the non-classical fans started calling Pachelbel's canon and The Nutcracker representative of classical.

I'm a huge fan of classical music and I love Pachebel's canon and the Nutcracker.

The idea that something has to be "underground" to be good is a recent one, probably spawned by all the bad popular music. But popular music wasn't always bad. Jazz was a purely popular form of music up until the fifties when artists started playing for critics instead of audiences. Popular classical music is generally popular for good reason.

There is a big difference between popular music, which is popular because audiences like it, and commercial music which is visible simply because someone has paid to make it visible.

I have friends who only like performers who are underground. Once they acquire a little fame, they lose interest in them. To me, this is totally backwards. I would prefer that great music be at the forefront of popular music the way Benny Goodman was in the 40s and Sinatra was in the 50s. I'd also like to see the artists make a decent living so they can focus on their music instead of paying their bills. That's the way it really should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back