Most over rated genre (major boring) Your experience.
Sep 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #271 of 967

Quote:
Aha! There is the root of the problem! You're expecting good new music to come to you through the radio and things you hear at work playing in the background. It doesn't work that way.

To find good new music, you need to find people who love different kinds of music and pick their brains for suggestions for "desert island picks" and good entry points into different styles. When I first started collecting records seriously back in the early 80s, I had to make visits to good alternative record stores and the Pasadena Record Swap Meet to chat with collectors and dealers who knew more than I did. It was a bit of effort, but it was worth it. Today, the internet makes all that a breeze. A simple Google search can bring up top ten lists, reviews, commentary and sample mp3 files. Gathering leads is as easy as falling off a log!

But you have to care. That's the important thing. If you aren't interested in growing and developing as an active listener, everything you don't know will seem like "boring stuff that's not worth the effort". But that just isn't true. The music isn't boring. You've chosen to make yourself boring. You can spend time in internet forums announcing your favorites musical preferences based on your limited tastes born of minimal effort, but it won't mean anything to anyone.

I post in music forums because I care enough to try to find out about great music I don't know about yet. If you aren't here for that reason, you're doing it wrong.

I'm going to bump this, because I don't always agree with your viewpoints, but that I completely agree this time. There is something in every genre for a person to enjoy if they look hard enough. And once they find that something, they can widen their frame of reference and find other things to enjoy. And soon enough, they'll find themselves in the middle of a new favorite genre.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #272 of 967
Most japanese music sounds beyond cheesy to me, I recon they try to overdo the emotional part to the point where it is not nearly as deep as European / American composers in terms of emotion.

maybe so but i heard lot more japanese composers(especially since i do like some anime as well) than anything else really . one of my favorite is of course Yuki Kajiura. i also enjoy lot of j-rock bands that got redone with orchestra like for example some of X-japan's stuff that got redone instrumentally which is pretty amazing i think. i only know of well known composers like Mozart and Beethoven and Bach when coming to european composers which i was mainly refereeing to about it's mostly about complexity. i only find a few good compositions i like from them each. i love american composers like Hans Zimmer since The Lion King and Clint Mansell,John Debney,ect. as well.

maybe you can list some and i be glad to take a listen. i'm mostly a cello and violin guy myself so anything tilted towards them mostly be great but if not i welcome any suggestions. i also really enjoy lot of asian instruments as well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #273 of 967
I'm not an evid fan of violins, so I might not be the best adviser here. But I'll post the first things that popped to my mind anyway

One of the few japanese classical musicians I really like is Ryuichi Sakamoto (the pianist in the following video):

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #275 of 967
Honestly, I'd have to say pretty much any Techno music for me these days, and in particular dubstep. And it's not actually that I dislike techno or anything, I simply think it's way overrated by so many of my peers. A LOT of my friends and people around me at my point in life seem to think of themselves as music connoisseurs by listening to techno and dubstep rather than the crap on the radio, which I'll admit it is a step up, but it's nothing amazing and there is almost no lasting appeal to me.
I can definitely understand a lot of peoples dislike for hip hop and rap, and I'd be in the same boat if I hadn't met a few people who have shown me artists that I actually do think are quite good. The reality is that relatively few people listen to the hip hop artists that I think are legitimately good, but these artists did manage to save the genre for me so to speak, and make me think there is more to it than I had thought.

Sep 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #277 of 967
Techno is a subgenre of electronic music and not another name for electronic.
Today it seems there are a million names for music that all sounds the same. It used to be there were just a handful of names and millions of different sounds.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #279 of 967
The words are fine. The lack of diversity is the problem.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #280 of 967
Quote:
The words are fine. The lack of diversity is the problem.

Diversity and the lack thereof? Please explain...

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #281 of 967
Interesting thread.

I'm not looking to cause any fights, but I'm fascinated by how music seems to touch some people and remain completely alien to others.

For me, the one I don't get is straight blues.  I love what blues has given to rock and other genres, but music that's pure 12-bar blues bores the crap out of me.  After a song or two, it all just blurs together.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #282 of 967
The thing to remember about recorded music before 1950 or so is that it was never intended to be listened to as an "album". Each record had one song on each side, and listeners would mix the records up as they played them. No one would ever have taken 60 minutes of a single blues artist and played it back to back the way CDs of this stuff are arranged today.

I also thought blues was boring until I mixed it into an itunes playlist that included early Rock and Roll like Chuck Berry and Little Richard and 50s R&B like Louis Jordan. It provides a great contrast and isn't at all boring that way.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #283 of 967
Re: Diversity

One of the things that LP collectors know better than anyone is that before the Beatles, there were too many completely different types of music to count. There was a vibrant country scene that included everything from Kentucky hillbilly music to classic honkeytonk country to Western Swing, which was closer to jazz, to bluegrass to citybilly, which was almost like Sinatra. There was latin mambos and lush Mexican style easy listening... Pop vocals, rock n roll, rhythm and blues, light classical like Leroy Anderson, cartoony pop music like Esquivel, exotica like Martin Denny and Les Baxter, sweet orchestral like Bobby Hackett and Jackie Gleason, BeBop jazz, Big Band swing, Dixieland jazz, a million kinds of ethnic pop with strange African percussion instruments, ukuleles or accordians. A lot of records were so unique, they were a genre unto themselves.

Now you might not be familiar with the names and styles I'm citing here, but back in the fifties they were well known and were played on the radio.

When the Beatles hit it big, record companies realized that instead of maintaining a catalog full of titles that sold in reasonable numbers, they could find four kids with electric guitars and sell one record to millions of people. They closed down their country division and sent the ethnic and easy listening artists packing. They boiled down their operations to just rock music. Now people have forgotten that a lot of this music ever existed... every genre today is a different flavor of rock music... New country, r&b, jazz... They retain their names, but the music is still made by a few guys with electric guitars.

In the fifties, there was a million kinds of music. Today there's a million names for rock.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #285 of 967
So I got inspired by some audiophile reviews and gave jazz singers (notably Diana Krall) another shot and had to shut it off after 30 seconds.  It sounds like music people a few generations removed from me would listen to.  I also tried Robert Plant and thought he was horrifically bad.  Patricia Barber at least was slightly more tolerable than Diana Krall, but I like Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos far more than than those two.

I have a difficult time with high-end audio reviews because my musical tastes have nothing in common with those folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back