Most over rated genre (major boring) Your experience.
Sep 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #16 of 967
Come on this was supposed to be a fun thread and now you have turned it serious 
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 967

over rated genre

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #18 of 967

Quote:
*puts on Nomex suit*

Rap and hip hop are a complete snore.

It never develops and never goes anywhere. One catchy musical phrase gets driven into the ground while overlayed by a lot of (oh my!) naughty words that totally shock and offend my tender sensibilities. Either that or I've heard plenty of bad words over the past 39 years and barely notice them other than to note that they are regularly employed when creativity is utterly lacking.

Things I'd like to see in the genre:

1. Topics other than sex, drugs, guns, other rappers, or really, just a topic at all.
2. Original composition instead of samples. Samples are so 1989.

3. People playing instruments. Really, is that too much to ask for? A five year-old can be taught to play a recorder. And, yes, I would appreciate a recorder. (Real bands and musicians could work one in.)

4. Variation in tempo and time signature. Why the monotonous 4/4?

5. How about developing musical themes? Beethoven's Fifth takes a catchy phrase and takes it in unexpected directions.

Musically speaking, the genre is stodgy and überconservative.

To throw more gas on the fire, most of it is badly recorded and people listen to it on lousy equipment.

I have read some of your posts about hip-hop. I have to disagree with some things you say. There are some very original hip-hop artists out there, rapping about almost any subject. OK, they are not the ones that get radio airplay, but there is certainly variety in the genre. I'm not an expert on rap, but having listened to Atmosphere and Sage Francis, I can tell you it's not all about the thug life. I do agree about the musicality aspect though. From my perspective, rap is not music, it's spoken word. The "beats" are just the same few notes over and over again, which doesn't really count as composition in my book. Nothing wrong with that, spoken word is great. But I wouldn't put it in the same category as music. Even the worst bands can play their own instruments and (sometimes) write their own songs. Pop starlets sort of sing and have synth backing that somebody had to compose. Nothing musical in most hip-hop tracks.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 967
crabcore.

This is pretty painful, so if you can't stand it and are about to stop it, atleast skip ahead to 2:45 for when this three mile island turns into a total chernobyl.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 967
Most mainstream

Older rap
Rap that uses one of more n- word in general. Face it, you can't rhyme orange so you say N****
Hip hop in general
Older Dance
Dubstep or anything electronic for that matter
Anything on VH1 (MTV plays music now?) really? MTV then too
Kanye West - great beats, horrid lyrics
Some house
Country/Western - I don't even try to listen to it. All I hear is "buy me! Give me money!"
Indie in general. Anyone who calls themselves indie
-core. Anything with -core at the end.
Any "mixed genre" like Indie-country. Face it, you're country sold to teenagers.
Any male voices that sound like they were kicked in the nuts
Any band advertised. Face it, you can't sell because your good so you need to tell people your good.

Did I go off genre there? I thinks so

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 967

Quote:
crabcore.

This is pretty painful, so if you can't stand it and are about to stop it, atleast skip ahead to 2:45 for when this three mile island turns into a total chernobyl.

I beat your score at 2:47 when the electronica started up

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 967

Quote:
I beat your score at 2:47 when the electronica started up

I was implying that you should skip ahead so that you can hear the crappy electronica.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 967
I always wondered why many Americans actually hated country music. I'm from Colombia, but know great country singers and have some of their works that I really appreciate: Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Alison Krauss, among others.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 967
just my 2¢ on the general topic:

I think once you start dwelling on what music you don't like or consider overrated, you start delving dangerously close into musical snobbery territory. In my humble opinion, music snobs define themselves by the music they don't like. They have very specific tastes but seem to relish in disliking the music that falls outside that taste and can expound at length on why they don't like it.

Personally I would rather be an appreciator of good music rather than a distinguisher of bad. I'm pretty open minded to all genres and don't concern myself with anything I don't like. Life is too short and there is too much good music to listen to.

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 967

Quote:
*puts on Nomex suit*

Rap and hip hop are a complete snore.

It never develops and never goes anywhere. One catchy musical phrase gets driven into the ground while overlayed by a lot of (oh my!) naughty words that totally shock and offend my tender sensibilities. Either that or I've heard plenty of bad words over the past 39 years and barely notice them other than to note that they are regularly employed when creativity is utterly lacking.

Things I'd like to see in the genre:

1. Topics other than sex, drugs, guns, other rappers, or really, just a topic at all.

2. Original composition instead of samples. Samples are so 1989.

3. People playing instruments. Really, is that too much to ask for? A five year-old can be taught to play a recorder. And, yes, I would appreciate a recorder. (Real bands and musicians could work one in.)

4. Variation in tempo and time signature. Why the monotonous 4/4?

5. How about developing musical themes? Beethoven's Fifth takes a catchy phrase and takes it in unexpected directions.

Musically speaking, the genre is stodgy and überconservative.

To throw more gas on the fire, most of it is badly recorded and people listen to it on lousy equipment.

reminds me of this. what happened?

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #27 of 967

Quote:

I think once you start dwelling on what music you don't like or consider overrated, you start delving dangerously close into musical snobbery territory. In my humble opinion, music snobs define themselves by the music they don't like. They have very specific tastes but seem to relish in disliking the music that falls outside that taste and can expound at length on why they don't like it.

Personally I would rather be an appreciator of good music rather than a distinguisher of bad. I'm pretty open minded to all genres and don't concern myself with anything I don't like. Life is too short and there is too much good music to listen to.

I was once in a CD store( when they existed ) and I was able to listen to two classical music snobs talk for 20 minutes about how they hated the guitar. They both were on the same page and had the best time stating that you could learn it in a day and how it took no skill. They were complaining about the over all sound and how none of the music they purchase has anything to do with recorded guitar sounds. They avoid buying any recorded guitar at all costs. The guitar was the lowest musical device and showed the start of the fall of music with it's popularity. These guys were really not that old, maybe 39 or something. 

I love seeing educated narrow mindedness. We have already read a lot about narrow mindedness in the thread and I'm sure we will continue to read more posts from the musical elite at Head-Fi. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 967

Quote:

I say THIS will be the best post in the entire thread!  Glad somebody said it.

As far as my $0.02....I was a prog rock fan when younger (I'm 49 now), and grew to appreciate contemporary jazz because of the musicianship.  It blows me away.  It's on a whole nother level in many instances.  I have also discovered that the saxaphone could probably be regarded as the lone instrument that is closest to the human voice which can make for some great music.

I get frustrated by American Idol pop crap being as highly regarded as it is.  Too much marketeing (85%) too little talent (15%).  Great untrained voices are a dime a dozen.... you can find them anywhere.

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 967
If you're not willing to say that corporate created soulless drivel is not a cancer on the creativity of our youth, then don't complain about a lack of quality music in 10 to 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back