Most neutral ICs that aren't ridiculously priced?
Jun 24, 2003 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MagusG

1000+ Head-Fier
Which ICs lend a very neutral signature to the sound and don't cost an arm and a leg? I've heard that Cardas Neutral Reference do a good job of this and can be had for fair prices on audiogon. Anyone have any other suggestions?
-Mag

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 8
The Linn Silver IC I am using is pretty good.
It's rare, but you still can find them on the audiogon for under $200. If it is good enough got the Linn CD12, I think it's good for my setup.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 8
I honestly haven't heard a single interconnect to date that I could call truly "neutral". That includes the Cardas Neutral Reference. Perhaps in your system it will sound neutral-like. The other cable I've read of that seems to have people consistently say its neutral-like is the Bear Labs Silver Lightning. I haven't heard this one yet myself.

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 8
It is very difficult to define neutral, or rather to know what is neutral. Ideally you will have to hear your system without any cables and compare. Any cable will color the sound more or less. The trick is to find a cable with colorations that wouldn't add to the ones the system already has or that wouldn't interact with your components in a unfavourable way, that's what is meant by synergy.
Everybody has their favourite ICs. Mine are Supra EEF-I, closely followed by Harmonic Technology Precision and Truth Link. Best is to pick couple of models around $75-150 and listen.

Jun 24, 2003 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Yes listening to the cables yourself is your best bet. But what is your system like, what are your musical preferences, and what kind of sound do you like/what, what are the things you want to improve in your system, and what is your budget for the IC?

Jun 24, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
MagusG, check out the thread "interesting thread" in this forum. These might be just what your looking for. Money back if you don't like them. $75.00. Sound like they're worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back