Most Musical HP (Open) and IEM
Mar 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sanjeewasam

100+ Head-Fier
I have read many reviews of HPs and had and have couple of them (Philips X2, AKG K712, K812, Audeze LCD2, Focal Elear, Hifiman HE560, Hifiman HE6, Sennhiser HD800, HE1000, AKGK3003i)

In describing a HP I noted many use the words- "Bright, Neutral, Dark, Fun sounding, Harsh, Reference". Others words in use are "Lows, Mids, Highs, Mid base, Sound stage, Separation, Air etc"

Only for few HPs I have seen the word "Musical" being used. In my journey I found that this “Musicality” is the most important aspect for me as a hobbyist (I am not a  mastering engineer and just listen for pure enjoyment and relaxation). I do not know how to define what Musicality is but guess you would know it when it is there (I think it is all the things present but in a magic mix).

My vote for musicality go to to Hifiman HE1000 from what I have heard. Of all my review readings I noted that the word "musicality/musical" appear more for HE1000 than any other. I quote from Tyll's review "
$3000 is a lot of dough to part with, but if you're going to spring for an end-game headphone the HE1000 is a "must listen." For me, it provides solid gains in listening satisfaction from the less expensive Ether, HD 800, LCD-3, and the like. That kind of differential is hard to come by at this price point. But listening satisfaction is strongly tied to personal taste, so I wouldn't buy on my words only. Take the time to seek out an audition."
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/exceptionally-pleasing-hifiman-he1000-planar-magnetic-headphone-page-2#KRFbzUOpZdd4miQx.99

I am also looking for IEM that is very high in musicality and may consider upgrade to HE1000 if I could find more musical HP.
Appreciate your suggestions, advice and contribution

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 16
I love my HE-500's. Easily one of my favorites, totally a musical and enjoyable listen for any genre of music. Needs a good amp with lots of current. The incredible sound of the HE-500 makes me have no doubt that the 1000's must also be a delight.

I'll be interested in seeing other people's suggestions.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 16
Of what I've spent a lot of time with, I would say the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro with balanced pads has been the most musical open-back I've come across, it just oozes euphony and gets me hooked on anything I listen to. I've heard open-backs that I felt may be more musical but haven't spent enough time with them to confirm. The absolute most musical headphone I've heard is a closed-back.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 16
I love my HE-500's. Easily one of my favorites, totally a musical and enjoyable listen for any genre of music. Needs a good amp with lots of current. The incredible sound of the HE-500 makes me have no doubt that the 1000's must also be a delight.

I'll be interested in seeing other people's suggestions.

I agree on HE-500s.

My most musical and enjoyable WAS HiFiMan HE-500 with bevelled ear pads from HE-560 and Schiit Lyr with ALO Audio Reference 16 cable.

My most musical and enjoyable IS NOW HiFiMan HE-1000v2 and Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HA(D) with stock cable. Having ALO Audio Reference 16 re-terminated.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 16
  The most musical headphone is the Orpheus Successor (HE-1). QED.

OMG!  You've really hit the nail on the head!  No doubt, the HE-1 is the ultimate choice, but, definitely, way too expensive!  Dream stuff 
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 16
I second what cskippy just wrote, and also the comments about the HE-500 are correct, though a properly powered HE-6 surpasses it. I own both the HD650/ZDS combo and the HE-6. I have room to max out the HE-6 on higher amps, but my Bryston is quite good for the price.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Most musical as in "keeps my toes a tappin"? That starts with the amp. For that, it's the Wells Audio Milo (honorable mention for Burson CV2)
The headphones would be my LCD-4 followed by HE-1k or He-6. Oh hell, let's throw the Zmf Eikon in the mix too. Too hard to choose.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Most musical iem to my ears is Earsonics sem9 or Fitear 334 (Gone due to poor fit).  Just awesome.

Haven't found my perfect musical headphone yet.  The Senn 800s is awesome but not exactly musical.  The t5p is closer but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back