most likely a typical comment/question from hi-fi rookie
Jan 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonny_a_d

New Head-Fier
After much research and hand-wringing, I finally decided to get a pair of HD600s. I'd wanted to upgrade for some time as for the last few years the best I've had are Sony MDR-V600s. When I bought the Sonys a few years ago I really thought I'd entered the world of "good sound."

Wow. Not quite.

I don't even have a great setup (Itunes from Powerbook into Total Bithead via USB) but the difference is so black and white it's ridiculous. I tried the Sonys again just for comparison and it was literally PAINFUL. Over-powered bass, forced highs, and just a general lack of musicality. I figured when I bought the Senns I might need to upgrade my DAC/amp but now I'm totally convinced I do.

So here is my actual question.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for either a separate or integrated DAC/amp that will come in at somewhere around 1-1.5K? I will be using my computer as my main source as CDs have just reached the point of impracticality for me (as ridiculous as that may sound). I'm intrigued by the higher quality Headroom models as well as the Benchmark DAC1 USB and the Grace m902. Believe me I've read a lot of posts on all these products, I was just hoping someone might suggest something based on personal experience. I listen to primarily pop/rock/soul, if that matters.

The only possible drawback I've noticed is that the "edge" seems to be missing from electric guitar solos. I've read a lot about the HDs and apparently this is common, but does proper amping improve this?

Thanks so so so much!

-Jonathan

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny_a_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only possible drawback I've noticed is that the "edge" seems to be missing from electric guitar solos. I've read a lot about the HDs and apparently this is common, but does proper amping improve this?

Thanks so so so much!

-Jonathan

i would like to know this as well. i listen to alot of guitar solo type of stuff and i play guitar myself. i've been interested in the 650's rather than the 600's.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not familiar with amps, dacs, or amps+dacs in the $1k-1.5k region.
-I do not own a Corda Opera, however I've read many great reviews about it in the past, and this may be an option worthy of spending some time to read about in the forums here.

I've personally tried my hd600's (with stock hd650 cable) on the headroom bithead, beresford tc-7510's headphone out, heed canamp, and presonus central station's headphone out in Single Ended mode. [and the hd600 with hd600 stock cable in SE mode on Gilmore Lite]

In my opinion, while there may have been improvements in the "edge," in general the sound characteristics of the hd600 still remains. I do not however, remember how big the difference was from going bithead to Canamp + tc-7510 in respect to the edge of the guitars. But the improvement in general for the overall sound, was quite great to me. And in my opinion, very worthy of the money. I would attribute the improvement to having a better DAC and a better AMP. (I upgraded to both at the same time, so I'm unsure of what improvements each bring seperately). I do believe the upgrade to a better amp and dac, whether in a all-in-one unit or seperate units, would bring vast improvements to the sound when compared to what you're getting with the bithead. However, keep in mind... in this hobby there seems to be very strong diminishing returns after you've gotten to a certain level.

-on a slightly less relevant note-
I've tried going balanced with the hd650 cables, found a bit more improvement all around in sound, however I still find it a bit lacking (for sound in general, haven't really spent time paying attention to how the guitars sound recently). Many posts here have recommended going balanced with a 3rd party cable to really let the hd600s sing, but I'm quite close to selling the hd600's.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 5
I guess it depends on your overall plans.

I have the Benchmark (non-USB) and love the thing, although I found my DT770's sounded way too bright. But I don't just use it for HP use, my Squeezebox and DVD player are also hooked up and it in turn to my main amp.

The Corda Arietta is IMHO much better than the Benchmark jacks, tames the top-end nicely, fuuller bass and I like the cross-over feature (sorry purists
wink.gif
)

I'd suggest if headphones is the only way you're going to go, get a USB headphone amp, if you want a bit more overall flexibility the Benchmark is a good bit of kit (biased opinion of course!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back