most *INSANE* computer mod EVER!
Jun 16, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Ditto.

On the contrary.... If you do any form of extreme cooling, you will prolong the life of the hardware for a few years. Anything such as phase change cooling(read: refridgeration) would increase the CPU speed by a few 1000 Mhz. That is quite substantial considering it took us over 5 years to go from a puny Pentium 650 Mhz to the 3.4 Ghz CPUs(AMD 2.4+ Ghz CPUs as well). It takes chip makers a very long time to go up by 1 Ghz in CPU speed. With phase change cooling or even peltier it becomes very easy.

Video cards can also be overclocked, but it's not so important now. IMO, they have a very long shelf life. I run all the games I want to play fine using my Geforce TI 4600 which came out several generations ago. I think 6 generations.

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Exacly my though! What is the point in this?
confused.gif

Showing off the bling bling at LAN parties for the most part. It's like the ricer car culture only with PC's.

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 47
Looks like it belongs in an "Alien" flick... H.R. Giger would be jealous
biggrin.gif
. Nice visual art, if you ask me. IMO stuff like this truly belongs in a gallery somewhere (I like those other pics, too).

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
The whole point of an acrylic case is for it to be to see the components, but this idiot decides to cover them...why go such painstaking measures when acrylic has such bad heat stuff...ugh...imbecile.

I think this guy's argument is why in the hell would you want to show off all those ugly, stickers everywhere, beige, multicolor wires running everywhere components off? All you're doing is letting everyone see how ugly most computer internals look. I think unless you do some significant interior work to get things looking nice, acrylic cases are pointless. Apparently this guy agrees.

That said, I would never, ever, ever ever go to such extremes modding a case. Actually, I've never modded a case and don't intend to start anytime soon. In fact, most modded cases I've seen are extremely tacky and not something I'd ever admit to making.
biggrin.gif
But I can respect this guy's work.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
I think this guy's argument is why in the hell would you want to show off all those ugly, stickers everywhere, beige, multicolor wires running everywhere components off? All you're doing is letting everyone see how ugly most computer internals look. I think unless you do some significant interior work to get things looking nice, acrylic cases are pointless. Apparently this guy agrees.

That said, I would never, ever, ever ever go to such extremes modding a case. Actually, I've never modded a case and don't intend to start anytime soon. In fact, most modded cases I've seen are extremely tacky and not something I'd ever admit to making.
biggrin.gif
But I can respect this guy's work.

I disagree that a computer inside has to be ugly.
I have a friend who modded his case by sealing everything in a sealant of some sort.
then filled it up with waterand put Goldfish inside it.
Funny thing the goldfish actually seemed to be happier inside the case cos the water was nice and warm
I guess it doesn't always have top be silly looking.
Cheers
Kunwar

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
Exacly my though! What is the point in this?
confused.gif

It's the EXACT question computer modders will ask why you guys would spend thousands on headphones and headphone equipment.
But IMO if that watercooling has one leak in there, the whole thing is going FRY TO DEATH

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 47
WRT cooling -- what about sweat?

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
It's the EXACT question computer modders will ask why you guys would spend thousands on headphones and headphone equipment.
But IMO if that watercooling has one leak in there, the whole thing is going FRY TO DEATH

i agree, people have different hobbies and i respect those who are good at what they like/good at

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #41 of 47
i've seen crazier than that but the Orac mod is my favorite! it's like so awesome that i feel bad because my comp is so plain. my favorite hod used to be the hl2 one, but this orac mod owns all!

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight

This is a very good point....we're just as insane as them, but in a different respect.
redface.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I disagree that a computer inside has to be ugly.
I have a friend who modded his case by sealing everything in a sealant of some sort.
then filled it up with waterand put Goldfish inside it.
Funny thing the goldfish actually seemed to be happier inside the case cos the water was nice and warm
I guess it doesn't always have top be silly looking.
Cheers
Kunwar

Kunwar,

That's awesome! Could you send me a private message with instructions on how to do that? I'd like to, if only for the fun of it.

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #45 of 47
I really like that Woodie, very cool
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the point of all of this? Expression and geek factor! I really wish that people would get crazy like that when designing amp cases, well most never give much thought into them. It would make DIY a lot more fun to look at anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back