Most important factor on sound quality for portable gear?
Jul 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm curious about these responses as after going between a phone (Nokia 5610) and a DAP (Teclast T50) with the same sources and headphones, my phone simply falls flat on its face when attempting to drive my Klipsch Custom 2s. Bass response is nonexistent and mids are murky, yet, when I plug in something which requires more power, say, HD280s, it becomes a dead heat between the two sources as it sounds more or less the same. Go figure. Something to do with the armature based cans maybe?

Then again, a phone isn't a DAP.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 25
It is odd. As you said, the HD280s do require more power to drive at 64 ohms to the Custom 2's 16 ohms. Sensitivity is similar with the HD280s at 102db/mW and the at 112 dB/mW.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 25
headphones
format
amplifier (in player or external)
player

the difference between throw away aeroplane headphones and some top end headphones (think shure 530, edition 8/9, HD800's) is gonna be greater than 128kb/s and lossless in my opinion. lossless through throwaway earbuds is not gonna sound better than HD800's.
i think the inbult amp in players makes more of a difference than the DAC in PMPs, so i think amp is more important than the rest of the PMP.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about these responses as after going between a phone (Nokia 5610) and a DAP (Teclast T50) with the same sources and headphones, my phone simply falls flat on its face when attempting to drive my Klipsch Custom 2s. Bass response is nonexistent and mids are murky, yet, when I plug in something which requires more power, say, HD280s, it becomes a dead heat between the two sources as it sounds more or less the same. Go figure. Something to do with the armature based cans maybe?

Then again, a phone isn't a DAP.

That's because your phone (or any portable player) isn't designed to drive such low impedance cans. It's a shame that manufacturers continue to make them so needlessly low impedance.

I'm with erik on this one. Headphones and File are the most important.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 25
I think it would be a combination of things but from my experience... Source (audio files), headphones, player, amp, then cables. The reason I said player in the middle is because you can have 2 different players and they might make the can sound a little different but 2 different headphones can completely change how you hear the music.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #24 of 25
1) Output (headphones, IEMs, canalphones, even speakers)
2) Bitrate and format
3) Source (player)
4) Amp (interchangeable with source dependant on audio equipment)

Only 4. Cables are a non-factor.
However, 2, 3 and 4 are limited to a point, particularly with portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back