most hd600 sounding iems
Aug 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Antony6555

500+ Head-Fier
These are probably my favorite headphones so far. They just have this subtle romantic glow that I love.

Iems I've owned:

er-4s: Too thin sounding. These are never really sibilant in the way I've experienced other bright headphones to be (lambdas), they just seem to have about zero warmth. Also I find that they insert too deeply to really be comfortable. These are my current iems and I've had them for about 2 years, but I'm pretty unsatisfied with them right now.

se530: Boomy, uncontrolled bass. Rolled-off highs make this a very dull-sounding headphone. Obviously, I didn't like this one at all.

Iems I'm considering:

Triple Fi 10: I'm seriously considering this one, but the recessed midrange bothers me. These seem to go for a good price on head-fi, which appeals to me. But I'm also worried about comfort issues with these.

CK100: Probably too bright, but the quality build appeals to me. Also, it would probably still be an upgrade over my er-4s in warmth. Also, I think these are the most expensive of those I'm considering.

UM3x: Perhaps too close to the se530s for me. Perhaps too bassy, warm. I haven't heard enough good descriptions of these too really have a good understanding of their sound signature, but westone's relationship to shure makes me hesitant.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on the iems I've chosen, as well as suggestions for other iems that you think I should consider. I'm looking in the $200-400 range right now.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 23
^ Really? Do you own both? I've had the HD580 and IE7 which are pretty similar and they sound nothing alike.

Anyway, I recommend the RE0, very balanced/neutral/laid-back sound, similar to my HD580.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by r@mside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the HD600 have the same mid bass hump as the IE8?

Nope, but they both have a subtle romantic glow that I love, and you will too. I think that's most important.

The midbass doesn't get in the way provided the airy fit is obtained. With the right fit I don't find it excessive even compared to the ER-4P, and I think we all know about the Etymotic bass.
wink.gif
I'd call it borderline bass-light with the small single-flanges and a casual, sub-canalphone fit (in between canalphone and earbud).

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 23
Hmm, well I've heard that the IE8 is similar to the se530 and if it sounds anything like the se530, I'm not interested. Also, I'm looking for decent isolation and from what I've read the IE8 is more like an earbud than an iem in this area.

I'll have to look into the REO. I think head-direct has a sale on them right now too.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, well I've heard that the IE8 is similar to the se530 and if it sounds anything like the se530, I'm not interested.

No, the IE 8 is nothing like the SE530. You've been misled, and misled horribly. But for isolation, fair enough. You're right on that front.

I haven't tried the RE0, but I'm not sure they'll have the subtle romantic glow that you love in your HD 600. Maybe with a tube amp..
wink.gif

You said you wanted an HD 600-sounding IEM, but since the IE 8 is out of the picture I don't think any of the other offerings will sound quite as close. The RE0 might do it, but given impressions of its sound signature I have my doubts. Good luck.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 23
well - it isolates a bit more than an ear bud, but not as well as any totally sealed iem. this has a major benefit too though: no negative sensation of pressure in your ear.

that said, I think the IE8 is much closer to the HD650 than the HD600, even with bass knob at a minimum, so it probably is not what the OP is looking for.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that said, I think the IE8 is much closer to the HD650 than the HD600, even with bass knob at a minimum, so it probably is not what the OP is looking for.

Depends on your fit. I think it sounds somewhere in between, often closer to the HD 650 when you expose the mid-bass hump more. I like the HD 600 and IE 8 more than I do the HD 650. But it doesn't matter anymore now.. looks like the RE0 is the new HD 600.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back