Hot Pursuit
Die Hard
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Fletch 1&2
Vacation
Weird Science
Stripes
The Pirate Movie (yes that's what it's really called)

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #19 of 69
Teen Wolf
smily_headphones1.gif

And oh my gosh!!! Blade Runner!! Can't EVER forget that masterpiece.

Aug 4, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 69
Oliver Stone's best movie (to me) by far is one no one ever talks about-- Salvador. It's really the only Stone film I particularly like. If you like Hunter S. Thompson and the gonzo feel of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, you have to see this one. Flawless, a real outlaw film, hard to believe it ever got made, let alone in the repressed 80's.

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 69
warubozu, redshifter, and iamjacksears have listed some of my favorites... nice job guys!

I'll add
Road House (even though it was aweful everyone of us still watches is when it's on TBS or USA on Sunday afternoon!)

Say Anything
Sure Thing
Can't Buy Me Love
Lost Boys
Stand By Me
The Goonies
Summer School
Ghostbusters
Plains, Trains, and Automobiles
Princess Bride

Can I break the rules and add:
confused.gif

Drop Dead Fred (1991)
Quick Change (1990)

Aug 5, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #23 of 69
Mine... most of these are stupid as hell, but as a youngster...

This is Spinal Tap
Back to the Future (the first one, Love the opening scene where he blows up his 8 foot speaker. Yes that was an Eddie Van Halen recording in Marty McFlys walkman)
Mad Max / Road warrior... ultimate in cool movie props
Big / Splash- Hanks classics
Revenge of the nerds
Predator, Jesse Ventura with a GE minigun!!!!
First blood... that knife was cool
The outsiders
Red Dawn
Escape from New York
Smokey & the bandit
Cannon ball Run

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 69
During the decade of the 80's, I was between the ages of 0 and 10.

Keeping this in mind, the movies with the largest impact for me, and which bring me back the most nostalgic memories of the 80's are:

1. The Goonies - I recently revisited this classic. Didn't realize how much foul language there was in this. It's got such a great 80's feel to it, and it reminds me of the little adventures I used to go on with my friends.

2. E.T. - My first alien movie, and what a doozie. The Halloween scene just transports me back in time, Reese's Pieces advertising and all.

3. Explorers - The 80's era for kids was all about NASA and space exploration. Until the unfortunate and catastrophic Challenger incident. This was an awesome movie for kids in the 80's, with plenty of 80's charm and nostalgia. It also features a very young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix.

4. Conan the Barbarian - My first R-rated movie! My dad let me and my brother watch this with him, with the caveat that we have to cover our eyes when he said so. This movie was and still is great. It takes itself very seriously, and in doing so avoids the pitfalls of extreme cheesiness.

Other movies with that extreme 80's feel: Beverly Hills Cop, Back to the Future, The Golden Child, Top Gun, The Dark Crystal, The Black Hole (technically 70's), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
killer kurt russel mullet, awesome carpenter '80's electronic score, and the giant '80's neon buddah!!

I remember being really excited to see that movie. And actually thought it was good at the time. Then a few years back I saw it on HBO and couldn't believe how cheesey it was. But I admit at the time it was really cool.

Long with American Ninja. Or return of the Ninja. Ninja or karate movies were a big deal for me at the time. lol..

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
American Ninja. Or return of the Ninja. Ninja or karate movies were a big deal for me at the time. lol..

I totally forgot about that... I was also an aspiring ninja in the 80's. My bro and I had a ninja catalog from which we ordered rubber throwing stars and stuff like that. When I grew up, I was going to either be a ninja or an astronaut. So 80's.

Karate Kid, that's another one to throw on the list. It's funny, but in Japan Karate Kid is known as "Best Kid". I guess the karate in the movie wasn't so authentic...

American Psycho is another 80's movie that just popped into my head. This isn't an 80's movie in the sense that it was produced in the 80's, but it is a movie that is about the 80's.

Tron is another one that I just remembered. So great. So cheesy. I'm still amazed by the visuals. Flynn's arcade is such a throwback to the days of Chuck E. Cheese.

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 69
I thought the OT was looking for movies made in the 80's, & about the 80's? My bad...

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan

Tron is another one that I just remembered. So great. So cheesy. I'm still amazed by the visuals. Flynn's arcade is such a throwback to the days of Chuck E. Cheese.

x2... I forgot that one!!! I loved the arcade games with the black lighting effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back